Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live well question

Thoughts on live well seems to be loosing water. I fill live well , than put on recirculate and set timer to auto. Later in day seems like 1/3 of water to 1/2 goes missing some where. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong or should I be looking for leak. Also question on key pad controls what is the control that shows what to be back of boat with 2 options to push left or right side in figuration on key pad.

Thanks

2. Legend Boats Moderator
    Probably losing it through the overflow when running. Try plugging the overflow and see if the water level keeps. I believe the key your talking about is referring to the left or right bilge pump

3. Banned
    Your flowrite valve may need to be rebuilt, they sell kits on their website.

4. Member
    I had the same problem. I plugged the overflow and the problem was solved. You do have to be careful not to overfill.

if you leave the flo-rite valve on "auto" (vs. recirc) the tanks will re-fill with fresh water whenever the aerator runs.

6. Member
    I assume you have the plug in... but you might try filling it with a water hose at home and see what's happening. I wouldn't think it lose that much through the overflow. Is it a V20?

7. Member
    I have a 15 V20 and lose water even with the top pug in. The over filling in manual mode drives me crazy too. I've lost a fair amount of fish in this boat that has cost me money and I never had any issues in my old Triton. Not very impressed with not having a pump out feature also. Not the best livewell system in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jay34rw View Post
    I have a 15 V20 and lose water even with the top pug in. The over filling in manual mode drives me crazy too. I've lost a fair amount of fish in this boat that has cost me money and I never had any issues in my old Triton. Not very impressed with not having a pump out feature also. Not the best livewell system in my opinion.
    No pump out?...

Mine has a pump out
    Ricky Rutherford
    2017 Legend V20
    2017 250 Pro XS

10. Banned
    He's referring to a dedicated pump out button on the dash like triton, legends and skeeter have a flowrite pump out, just have to know the secret handshake...

11. Member
    You should have a pump out associated with the pull out valve in the driver side of your livewell. Pulled out, it pumps out. I had a tournament this weekend with water temps up to 88 degrees, air at 95, had 20 lbs of fish by 10 and didn't lose any, and they were extremely active, my hand can prove it, when released. I added 10 lbs of ice before I left for the ramp (have used 20 lbs before), added G Juice to de-chlorinate/treat and filled my livewells once I launched. I blocked the overflow valve, used the Oxygenators and ran the driver's side aerator continuously once I had a fish in there. I also have V2 vents in my livewell lids. Around 11, I ran the second aerator present in the passenger side.

Using the pump out feature, I pumped out about a quarter of the well and added fresh water twice during the day and added 2 quart size frozen Gatorade jugs over the day, about every 3 hours. Aerators alone will not keep the fish alive when its hot as dissolved oxygen carrying capacity of the water in the wells drops exponentially as it heats up, so cooling the water definitely helps. There are some helpful YouTube videos of using ice and other livewell tips out there too. If you have Oxygenators, remember you cannot use salt containing additives to the livewell as the Oxygenator will release the chlorine into the water = death to your fish. I learned that the hard way and only use G Juice. With just recirculating the water, you also need to pump out some of the fish waste in the livewells periodically over the day. I also use the Foam-Off product to dissipate foam as it occurs. The foam will prevent the water from being sprayed as well and will diminish the aeration effect. After getting home, I wash out the livewells, clean with the TLC product (made by the same company that makes the Foam Off), and then run my pumps with the clean water to flush them out. For hot days you can also cover the latches on your livewell lids with a wet towel as those latches get very hot and transfer heat to the wells too. As you mentioned, losing fish is a big deal and very expensive in some events, not to mention bad for tournament angling pr when the public is watching us. Some fish are going to die from other causes, but at least we can make our livewell situation as best as possible.

Hope this helps!

12. Member
    I agree its very aggravating when you are filling the livewells with the overflow plugged and you forget about it. With the V2 vents the water comes out on the deck so you can tell pretty fast what's going on. Then I have to pump it down to get it below the aerators for them to work. I've done that more than once!! I'll leave a lid open now to remind me when I'm filling and my partner can see what's happening too as a fail-safe.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    if you leave the flo-rite valve on "auto" (vs. recirc) the tanks will re-fill with fresh water whenever the aerator runs.
    I've been trying to figure this out. Can you explain for a guy feeling "brain dead"

Thanks

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1978 View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out. Can you explain for a guy feeling "brain dead"

Thanks
    Recirc is closed circulation just using what water is already inside the well, what you would want to use when trailering. Auto is pulling water from the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by autigerz View Post
    I agree its very aggravating when you are filling the livewells with the overflow plugged and you forget about it. With the V2 vents the water comes out on the deck so you can tell pretty fast what's going on. Then I have to pump it down to get it below the aerators for them to work. I've done that more than once!! I'll leave a lid open now to remind me when I'm filling and my partner can see what's happening too as a fail-safe.
    On the manual drain switch at the helm (not the aerator pump buttons)- you should have Auto, Empty and Recirc. Empty should be obvious. Recirc means that when the pump runs, it is drawing water from inside the livewell and shooting it back through the aerator nozzles. Auto means that when the aerator runs it will draw fresh water from the lake and dump into the livewell. The excess goes out the overflow. Additionally - if there is no water to be drawn (like you're on plane or on a trailer) the stopper remains closed and "auto" works the same as recirc by drawing from inside the well.

That being said, if you leave it on Auto - you should rarely if ever find that your wells are excessively low or empty (maybe right after a bumpy run and the pumps haven't kicked on yet) since the pump is always pulling new water into the livewell.

Lastly, the valve on the pump that controls where the water comes from (actuated by a cable connected the aforementioned helm switch) has rubber stopper gizmo in it - these tend to bend, wear out or find some other defect at times, so its possible that even when not in "empty" mode, water is draining from the bottom of the livewell, not the overflow. You can easily test this by turning the switch to auto or recirc and filling the wells in your driveway - then checking the rear drains to see if anything is coming out.

16. Member
    Thanks. That'd the best explanation I've ever got

17. Member
    There is no Auto, Recirc, Empty valve/switch on a 2015 V20. Have they changed that for 2016 and 2017 models?

18. Member
    First time running my livewell yesterday. This thread has helped. I had my aerator on auto and was worried it would over flow the livewell.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1978 View Post
    Thanks. That'd the best explanation I've ever got

what switch does it have? there are a few options: https://flow-rite.com/products/marine?page=1

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    On the manual drain switch at the helm (not the aerator pump buttons)- you should have Auto, Empty and Recirc. Empty should be obvious. Recirc means that when the pump runs, it is drawing water from inside the livewell and shooting it back through the aerator nozzles. Auto means that when the aerator runs it will draw fresh water from the lake and dump into the livewell. The excess goes out the overflow. Additionally - if there is no water to be drawn (like you're on plane or on a trailer) the stopper remains closed and "auto" works the same as recirc by drawing from inside the well.
    I've had a couple boats with the auto empty recirc flow rite, if your trailering and have it on auto I always lost water out the drain, its especially bad if the pumps not running, I always just put it on recirc if trailering fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast