MK Fortrex/Ultrex - corrosion?

Hey Guys, I switched to MK after the MG X5 came out (no explanation necessary), and got a fortrex 6 months ago. Well, when the Ultrex came out, I got my hands on one, and installed it 3 weeks ago. On both my Fortrex and my Ultrex I have some sort of corrosion (almost looks like barnacles, see photo). Is this normal? Does anyone know what this could be?

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You most likely have a wiring issue causing current to flow through the water between the outboard lower unit and TM. What is your battery configuration and do you have a jump start system installed on your boat?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Dedicated battery for motor/electronics, etc, and 36 v battery for TM. Yes I have a switch for jump start

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishforbass View Post
    Dedicated battery for motor/electronics, etc, and 36 v battery for TM. Yes I have a switch for jump start
    Ranger? Many were miswired from the factory.

The jump start needs to connect to the TM battery with the negative TM lead on it.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Nitro, How should the wiring be configured for the jump starter?

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Nitro, How should the wiring be configured for the jump starter?
    Jump starter wiring should go only to the battery with the TM negative wire on it
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    So, If I am understanding this correctly. I need to make sure that the TM battery that is connected to the "jump starter" via the positive connection, should be the TM battery that is directly connected to the TM via the negative connection?

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So, If I am understanding this correctly. I need to make sure that the TM battery that is connected to the "jump starter" via the positive connection, should be the TM battery that is directly connected to the TM via the negative connection?
    Yes. Jump starter negative too.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Well, The Jump starter was not from the negative feed to the trolling motor, so once again, the people on BBC know more about boats, than the people rigging boats.
    Thank You!!!!

10. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Ask the boat rigger to replace/pay for the damaged trolling motor and to be ready to pay for any corrosion later possiby causing the outboard's lower unit to fail.

11. Member
    Yup, there is a very good chance any metal parts in or touching the water are damaged.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

12. Member
    Aluminum usually catches the worse of it. Check the jackplate, if equipped. Also look at the sacrificial anode and the aluminum gear case of the outboard.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    There is, what appears to be corrosion on the jackplate. Now I know what this is from. I assume I will have to take my Fortrex and Ultrex in for service, based on the photos? They still both work, but I am afraid there was damage I cannot detect yet.

14. Member
    There is, what appears to be corrosion on the jackplate. Now I know what this is from. I assume I will have to take my Fortrex and Ultrex in for service, based on the photos? They still both work, but I am afraid there was damage I cannot detect yet.
    I sure would - and send the bill to who ever set up the boat.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

15. Member
    I know this post was a long time ago but I just found it a couple days ago after noticing the same corrosion on my trolling motor. I have a 2021 nitro z21 with a factory installed minn kota ultrex. I bought the boat in December 2021 it was a demo and sold as is. It only had 59 hours on it. My jump starter wire was on the positive terminal of the battery. So I moved it to the negative. Also before I changed the wire I noticed when I would brush up against the trolling motor with my arm I would feel a slight electrical jolt. I was wondering who I should contact about the wiring problem or future problems. Funny thing it has a electrical diagram on the lid to the batteries and it shows the wire going to the negative ��*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Ericbuzzatto View Post
    I know this post was a long time ago but I just found it a couple days ago after noticing the same corrosion on my trolling motor. I have a 2021 nitro z21 with a factory installed minn kota ultrex. I bought the boat in December 2021 it was a demo and sold as is. It only had 59 hours on it. My jump starter wire was on the positive terminal of the battery. So I moved it to the negative. Also before I changed the wire I noticed when I would brush up against the trolling motor with my arm I would feel a slight electrical jolt. I was wondering who I should contact about the wiring problem or future problems. Funny thing it has a electrical diagram on the lid to the batteries and it shows the wire going to the negative ��*♂️

You're hooked up WRONG !! What you need to connect is the POS of the Jump Start to the POS of the battery that has the NEG lead from the Trolling Motor and the NEG lead from the Jump Start to the NEG post on the same Battery. DO NOT attach the POS of the JS to the NEG post on that or any other battery !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents