LithiumPro battery help on 920

I recently purchased a 2014 920ProXP which has LithiumPro batteries. It has 1 cranking (can't remember the model) and 1 36v TM battery (M3140-36). Currently, there is a Minn Kota MK 110PC (single bank) charger, connected to the LithiumPro charger (takes a 12v input). From my understanding, the LP charger will charge the cranking battery till it hits 85% capacity, at that point it switches over to charge the TM (36v) battery. Last week, I plugged in the charger Wednesday morning till Thursday evening (expecting to fish Thursday evening, but rains stopped me), then I plugged in again Saturday morning till Sunday morning (went fishing). When I turned my battery switch to battery 1, and went to trim up the engine to mount my MotorMate, it was dead. I move my battery switch to position 1+2, I had power, moved the switch back to battery 1 and now I had power. Thought it was strange but I went fishing. At the ramp when I went to crank the engine, the power was very weak to were it almost didn't have enough to start the engine. As the day went on, it got better, I assume it's because the LP charger runs while running the outboard.

I know this is a lot of information, and a lot of missing information as far as wiring, but I'm new to these batteries and this boat. I'm used to multi-bank chargers with lead batteries. I used to be able to see if a battery is full or still charging. With this system I feel I'm flying blind. Can anyone suggest battery monitors? I know LP has one, but I want to look at all options.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this to give me some piece of mind would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I LOVE THIS BOAT! I came out of a Nitro Z6, and all I can say is WOW!

Thanks!
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

Search the lounge...there was recently a Lithium Pro rep in the lounge answering questions about lithium batteries.

I would post a question on this thread or send this guy a PM...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=821051

4. Member
    I have Lithium pros.......2 36volt in parallel and 1- m1110 for cranking.......here is my routine.

1- i use a 36 volt Lithium pro charger to charge my TM 36 volt batteries. Got it from LP and usually takes about 1 1/2 hours to charge at the end of a 12 hour fishing day.
    2 - i then plug in my 12 volt on board Stealth AC Charger. Usually takes about an hour to charge up the cranking battery.
    3- The LP charge on the run you reference is made by stealth. It charges the TM batteries after the Cranking battery reaches 13 volts both when running and on an AC charge.

This has worked very well for me.

I suggest you give Danny at Stealth a call. He also has a battery monitor guage.

I do the same...I use a 12 volt LP charger for the cranking battery and a 36 volt LP charger for the trolling batteries...No issues...

I did have to add a switch to cut off power to the onboard stealth type charger at one point...I found that the little green light on the charger seemed to drain my cranking battery...I'm actually not even using the onboard stealth type charger anymore...I took it out.

6. Member
    Thank you very much for the replies. I'll give Danny a call. I wasn't able to diagram out how my charging system is wired, but one thing dawned on me. I've never had to do this on other boats, but when I charge the batteries, I have the battery selector switch on "off", I'm wondering if this is wired in a way that I have to have them turned on, in order to charge. I can't imagine that the charger is going through the battery switch, I would think the leads are connected directly to the batteries, but you never know. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go through the wiring this week. Thanks for all the help!
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

7. Member
    I've been doing a lot of business travel lately and haven't been able to call Danny till today (he wasn't available). Can you guys tell me which LP charger you are using? I'm fine with purchasing new chargers, just want to know which ones to purchase. I would like to purchase 1 36 volt for the trolling motor batteries and a 12 volt for the cranking. At a later date, I'm planning on adding a second 36 volt TM battery in parallel for extended run time if needed. Thank you for all the replies.

8. Member
    I am using the 1016A for the 36 volt and The stealth AC for the cranking battery.

9. Member
    Quick question for you guys. Did you notice any speed loss when you went to the lithium? I'm thinking I did because of the lack.of weight in the battery well leaving me with less bow lift. Did anyone else notice that?

10. Member
    Nope

11. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laflur6 View Post
    Quick question for you guys. Did you notice any speed loss when you went to the lithium? I'm thinking I did because of the lack.of weight in the battery well leaving me with less bow lift. Did anyone else notice that?
    I always wondered about that happening. That's one reason why I haven't pulled that expensive trigger. The other being, I'm waiting to see what problems, if any, may come to light on these Lithium batteries.
    How heavy are the 2 chargers? Are they mounted in the boat as well?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laflur6 View Post
    you should gain speed from the weight savings, not loose it. I dropped almost 200 pounds going from 3 31 series agm's to 3 relion 100ah batteries. the free charger is around 15 pounds.

13. Member
    I did lose the weight going from 3 Diehard Platinums to the Single 36volt LP. Losing the weight in the back of the boat doesn't help a whole lot for speed. What it did for me was decrease my bow lift which ended up costing me 200rpm. I did it to mainly draft as shallow as possible for the areas I fish on the Sabine. They are doing what I wanted them to do.

Maybe you should try a different prop or adjust your prop to pad? Doesn't make sense to me that you would lose speed after you switched to lithium...At the absolute worst you should be the same speed as you were prior to switching to lithium...

15. Member
    I have an Atlas Hydrolic. I could have the prop reworked I'm sure to facilitate the loss in bow lift.

16. Member
    To be honest it works as intended, but it's not something I really needed. I'm just gonna list if in the for sale forum and go back to my AGMs.

17. Member
    I don't understand the loss of weight decreasing the speed. It's like running with 5 gallons of fuel vs 50. I have always ran faster with less gas than more gas.

18. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I wonder if a person that had his prop(s) worked for running with the lead batteries, would have to have a rework to run lithiums??

19. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the transom weight does have some affect on certain setups, I can run faster with 40 to 50 lbs of tackle in the rear port locker than I can empty, with mine its a balance thing. usually if you run really light in the rear you would need to be very light in the front. in that case the lithiums will be faster if you can drive it. the gas is more dead weight in the center with the tank under the seat
    an easy test is take out the led trolling batteries and go run it with just the cranking battery.

Sorry I guess this go off subject from the OPs questions
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

20. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    I wonder if a person that had his prop(s) worked for running with the lead batteries, would have to have a rework to run lithiums??
    yep, I know Mark can work the prop to control how much bow lift,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com