Louisiana fishfinder

Which fishfinders SideScan work best iin our shallow muddy waters... Looking at echomap , elite, and maybe helix..

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    MSN, something else to consider is mapping....are you concerned about any mapping? I assume you are in deep south la.....there is some mapping cards that will work with one unit and not the other.....back to your question and going by screen shots posted around the net, HB does excellent in shallow water, only seen a few images from Garmin that werent bad, and then there is lowrance....i had seen instances where it work good and then other times where it didnt....

Id say look around that the Image pages and check them out, there are plenty to look at and see how they look.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    The humminbirds (helix) units I have now are a lot better for imaging than the lowrance (gen3's) I had on previous boat. Could be just operator settings. However for south LA the mapping is better and more options with the Lowrance units. I don't think the difference in imaging is enough to give up the better mapping if you fish south la. however, if you fish different lakes etc (I fish Toledo bend a lot) the newer map cards with aerial photos for the birds are good enough to get you by in south LA. The lakemaster cards for south Toledo bend are fantastic. Pick your poison.

4. Member
    Im actually Central Louisiana... I dont usually hit big lakes or coast.. I just got into fishing 3 years ago, so I am deffinately still learning... I usually hit smaller lakes and Red River in the evenings.. But not knowing any fishing holes, or anything, I like to see structure and hiding spots , or even creek beds underwater to somewhat give me an idea of what to be casting at...lol... Thats why maybe I would like a clear pic... I just dont want to get a Lowrance or Garmin and have a terrible picture... So if its a close enough that you would have to analize the pics side by side to tell a difference then thats one thing, but I definately want a good pic of whats underneath...

5. Member
    Can you look at the MicroSD card on your smartphone? In other words, I dont have a computer at home that takes SD cards (Its Ancient). But I can put the SD card in my smartphone.. Thats another reason I was leaning toward Lowrance is the Wifi capabilities...

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Are you in the central part of the state (Alexandria, Pineville, etc.) or the City of Central near Baton Rouge??? What are you wanting to look at the SD card for?? If you PC has USB slots then you can buy a cheap card reader at Walmart, Radio Shack, etc.......WIFI on the Lowrance is not to "look into" the unit with you phone, tablet, etc....its mainly using for connection to Lowrance servers for updates, and downloading IG maps from their servers....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Are you in the central part of the state (Alexandria, Pineville, etc.) or the City of Central near Baton Rouge??? What are you wanting to look at the SD card for?? If you PC has USB slots then you can buy a cheap card reader at Walmart, Radio Shack, etc.......WIFI on the Lowrance is not to "look into" the unit with you phone, tablet, etc....its mainly using for connection to Lowrance servers for updates, and downloading IG maps from their servers....
    Let me rephrase that.. Yes, Alexandria Pineville Area.. The biggest lake I may fish will be Kincaid or Cotile..Usually a few times a year... SD card is not for me to look into, its for updates.. I do not have a PC that will take a SD card. So I was wondering if there was a way to update it with a tablet or a phone... Hate to get a new fishfinder with an d not be able to update it...

8. Member
    Any of them will give you good pictures if they are working properly. I don't think you will find terrible pictures on any of them, for sure not lowrance or hummingbird.

9. Member
    Ive called 3 major retailers and all their salesmen are saying garmin echomap is the way to go... I dont know if that is because of vendor supplier relations or actual truth... Everyone of them said Lowrance would be the least... I am really wanting the Lowrance do to the touch screen and I find it easier to operate and understand in the store...But dang, I worry about that Totalscan Transducer causing issues...

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I understand that your PC doesn't have a card reader but does it have USB ports??? You can get a card reader to plug into the usb port.....with the Lowrance Elite Ti units you CAN connect the wifi to your home router to access Lowrance servers to download the updates as they come available......

Here is the type of card reader that attaches to your USB port:

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I live in Pineville, let me know if you have any questions.....i'll help the best that i can......it all depends on who you talk to, everyone has their opinion and will push that particular product....I have the HDS units but if i was rich and had money, i'd try them all out......

12. Member
    Humminbird side imaging is better in shallow water than lowrance and as said your pc will have a usb port. All you need is a usb sd card adapter. You can get at Walmart

13. Member
    Humminbird sonar/side imaging is better. Lowrance ease of use and mapping features is better. I have no garmin experience. My Lowrance units have had some major reliability problems but it could be a isolated case or 2 or 3 or 4! Lol.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

14. Member
    The Navionics Cards come with a USB card reader. FYI.

15. Member
    I ended up going with Garmin Echomap 73SV... Will see how she does... Lowrance was being a bully over the whole Sonar Lawsuit, so I decided not to support them... Both had their Pros and Cons. Hopefully I made the right decision for me...
    Im mounting Transom, and moving my Dragonfly 5pro to the transducer... Still trying to figure out how the SideVu would work on a trolling motor, being its constantly turning back and forth... Especially with my drying and fishing skills...lol