Nitro Z21 and a Verado motor?

Hello all,

I posted this question on the nitro forums and got some good opinions but want to get more knowledge and opinions. So I decided I Def want a verado and was planning on a 250 hp all.this time then realized it's only a 2k jump from a 250 to 300hp. This will be my first fiberglass bass boat and do not plan on selling it. I also do not plan on doing tournaments. So is it worth the extra 2k? In my mind it seems like it is as it's miniscule to how much I'll be spending already (1800 dollars for a rim upgrade on my trailer justifies 2k for something potentially more functional than cosmetics...). Are verado 300 any different than 250 as far as problems arising ? Same mechanics I assume? On nitro site it states top end is appx 75mph do you think they did this with 91 octane? Unless it is a drop in over 3mph I don't plan on botherin with 91 and will be happy w 87 as long as it keeps me above 70 on the rare ocassion I want to run fast. This is just a one time purchase for next 15 to 20 years...hoping these motors are reliable? Worth the jump to 300? I cannot find a single nitro user with a 300 hp verado so that worries me but I think it's because of resale value for the tourney Fisher that may be the reason? 300 hp burn significantly more gas than 250? Sorry just not that much info on a 300 vrod pro on a bass boat. All in all, just dont want to have regrets after this big purchase. Thanks for any advice guys.
    Last edited by BigBadBass; 06-16-2017 at 03:44 AM.

Haha, lots of questions there. Honestly, only you can say if it is worth it our not. It does seem like pretty short money compared to the total price of the boat. I couldn't find any speed info on the Nitro site (and I hate the new layout of the site BTW) but I'd have thought it would do better than 75. But speed increases do go up linearly compared to HP increase. It take a lot more HP to go from 70 to 75 than from say 50-55. But, anyway, all the reports I hear on reliability are very good so I would not be concerned with that. And at WOT both motors will suck fuel like its free. That super charger makes sure of that. But, drop it back to 5k RPMs and I'm sure it will be much better. If I was going to guess, and that's all this is, they would have tested the boat on 91 octane because that is the recommended fuel for the boat. It's simply capable or running on 87 with reduced performance. And there is always that possibly that those speed estimates are just a guess on their part anyway.

You say you don't plan to fish tournaments but sometimes plans change. Getting this motor would surely prevent you from fishing the larger stuff that have HP limits but smaller club stuff likely doesn't care.

For my money though I'd probably invest in something else first like electronics or the Ultrex TM. But if you've already done that and you know beyond all shadow of a doubt you will never fish a tournament with HP restriction the sure, go for it. Its your money but I'm happy to help you spend it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    You can buy rims a lot cheaper than $1,800 and they would probably look better.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    thanks for the opinions, well appreciated.

5. Member
    Yep skip the wheels and get the big motor.

6. Member
    Either Motor should do great
    300 Will get better mileage under 5krpm because it wont be working as hard
    300 and 250 both have the same core components, 300 has a different ecm programming
    If you tend to run really heavy in the boat like 3 big guys the 300 is better, average load 250 will be fine

7. Member
    Perfect!! That's reassuring because that was my main reason thinking of 300 was with 3 people and full load 300 will be more consistent WOT giving me above 70mph if I need it. Most time I'll be around 50 mph

8. Member
    With the investment you are making do your self a favor and run ethanol free 91 octane gasoline. It will save you trouble down the road and give you better performance. Also use Quickleen and Quickcare in the gasoline.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice speaking with you through the many PM's. Let me know if you require any other clarifications.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks Don! You truly are an expert in motors! Thank all you other guys as well. Your input is really helping me make a decision on such an expensive (to me anyways) purchase. And being that I am not a tourney Fisher and not willing to get in deep doodoo wit my wife again this will be my last bass boat purchase...for at least 15 years :)

11. Banned
    And another option would be to go the 225 Verado and invest in a ECU reflash by Simon Motorsports to 315 horsepower. Not only do you get the horses, but you also get improved driveability vs. stock motors.

12. Member
    Hmm interesting..but that would Def void warranty?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's definitely considered a modification of the product... and it is illegal to modify the HP or Emissions footprint of an EPA rated engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor