replace foam under floor or not

im putting a new floor in my 1994 blazer 202, I'm gonna pull the cap and replace it with 1 full sheet, the floor has bee rotted for some time and the foam is wet and I'm going to dig it all out, my question is should i replace the foam under the floor? is it really needed?
    Last edited by ajskennels; 06-16-2017 at 06:54 AM.

IMO...I would not. I'm not a fan of things that will absorb water over time.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    If the foam is wet, it'll likely rot your stringers and/or transom if you just slap a new floor on top.

Plus, saturated foam is heavy, you could be toting a couple hundred lbs of wet weight around.

It was put there originally to provide flotation in the event the boat is swamped... I'd lean towards replacing it for that reason.
    It can also provide sound deadening.

5. Member
    thanks guys I've made up my mind, I'm going to pull the cap, remove all the foam under the floor, and instead of putting foam back in I'm going to put braces in between the stringers and glass them in, ill have a 225 promax with a offshore ridgeback on it so I'm not really worried about sound deadening, all the foam in the world wont deaden the sound of a ridgeback, but i am worried about structural integrity, don't need it pulling apart at 70+ mph

6. Member
    Why not refoam the area to provide flotation? It is light and you could find your whole rig on the bottom with just 1 wave.

7. Banned
    Foam flotation also gives strength to the hull, keeps it from flexing... Its serves a dual purpose... Dan

8. Member
    replace the foam!
    2005 Ranger 521VX, 2005 Yamaha 250

9. Member
    I would replace the foam. Sinking from spearing a particularly nasty wave would really suck.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS