Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Some stay a while, some go great distances in what we call a short time. Bass cruise at 2 to 3 mph, and few hours of that is a long distance. Some studies have shown them going back to their original locations even 20+ miles away within a couple of weeks.

2. Member
    Lot's of studies, this is a good one: http://www.insideline.net/features/2...with-john-hope

3. Member
    if your fishing release fish, you probably shouldn't be fishing tournaments!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5000D View Post
    But I thought that was the point of "Catch and release".

5. Member
    Saw a report by the FWC and their Trophy Catch Program where a guy fishing with Live Wild Shiners caught and released the Same 8+ lb Bass 15 minutes after he released it the first time. He had clipped a fin and it matched the 2nd fish.

Also saw a report many years back that stated the a Bass has a memory span of 15 minutes. The claim was if you missed a fish you could re-try in 15 minutes and the chances of catching it were excellent.

You probably should not be fishing brushpiles, docks or other high percentage areas either if that is your logic.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You probably should not be fishing brush piles, docks or other high percentage areas either if that is your logic.
    most people understand that speaking of released fish Mark, one is referring to a area where tournament fish are returned to the water, if you want to catch released fish that someone else found and brought to "known released area" that's great nothing wrong with that at all, it just takes away some of what being a good tournament angler requires, such as the
    ability to locate fish,

If that's the case, you need to tell Mark Rose, Ott Defoe, KVD and pretty much all the pros that they aren't tournament fishermen. Cause all if em have fished these areas at one time or another. And some (a lot) do it on a regular basis.

9. Rich Purington
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Also saw a report many years back that stated the a Bass has a memory span of 15 minutes.
    Hmm...about 10 minutes more than a co-angler that casts over me.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

most people understand that speaking of released fish Mark, one is referring to a area where tournament fish are returned to the water, if you want to catch released fish that someone else found and brought to "known released area" that's great nothing wrong with that at all, it just takes away some of what being a good tournament angler requires, such as the
    ability to locate fish,
    Those fish have a choice to stay or go just as they have a choice to bite or not. In a tournament the goal is to catch the 5 largest fish you can find within the rules of the tournament. if I pick off a fish or a few fish from a retread spot I do not feel bad about it or less an angler in the least. Everyone in the event has the same oppurtunity to fish those areas.
    Is a guy who uses $10,000 in electronics to catch his limit and win any less an angler than one who did not? Personally I have no issue with either one.

A 4# release fish weighs the same and pays the same as a 4# fish caught 20 miles up the river on a secondary point.

12. Member
    sorry I disagreed with you guys the lords of all fishing knowledge,

This does not pertain to fishing release sites.

This year while I was up in the Boundary Waters I caught a pike on a M.B. Vision 110. As I was going to grab the pike out of the water my line snapped. My dad caught that same pike 2 minutes later on a L.C. Pointer 100 and it still had my Vision 110 in his mouth. Talk about lucky.

Same trip I caught a 4 pound smallmouth on a Evergreen Shower Blows, noticed that the fish had some very distinguishable sores on its side, and released the fish. Returned to the same area 2 hours later. Casted to the same rock and caught the same fish again on the same lure.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You probably should not be fishing brushpiles, docks or other high percentage areas either if that is your logic.
    Yep! As long as it's not off limits for a certain tournament they are fair game. You still have to find the spot they will stay and feed at. No difference than fishing for bedding fish or anything else. just because they have been caught and released at a certain place doesn't mean they will bite or stay put. At best it likely only increases your odds a little anyway. Unless they released them in a no.5 wash tub.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12