93sv CHIRP bottom lock problem ?

Got interference or distorted screen when using bottom lock mode any idea ? TIA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Hello Todd. Do you have any idea ?

3. Member
    Are you running the trolling motor? Any other sonars on the boat?

That sure looks like electrical interference of some kind to me.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

What is your gain set to? The line on your screen looks like a second Echo as it mirrors the bottom. Your bottom is bright solid red which leads me to think your gain is cranked all the way up or your over a concrete bottom. I could be wrong so I'll wait for our experts to chime in.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    No other sonar or trolling motor and if I select sonar the bottom will flat out as it should.

6. Member
    Any other electrical things running at the same time? Live well pump, bilge pump, Stereo, VHF, downrigger, or?

The gain might be a little hi, but that still looks like electrical interference. Its odd that it would only show up on bottom lock mode.

You may need to contact customer support on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by azkiko View Post
    No other sonar or trolling motor and if I select sonar the bottom will flat out as it should.
    Wow! I'm stumped with just being bottom lock only. Maybe Todd will chime in.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by azkiko View Post
    Seems like you are suggesting that you only have this issue in Bottom Lock mode? If you haven't already, please confirm this by running sonar in both Auto and Manual Zoom instead of Bottom Lock to compare. As Larry pointed out, also be sure to eliminate any sources of interference.
    Garmin Pro Team

Also, please reply regarding what software version you are currently running.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Sorry I didn't answer this sooner the software version's 4.10 and I just took the boat out for striper jigging then other problem happen: I lost bottom reading into the first 2 hrs of fishing it happen before but not as much. It has too much noise if I turn down the gain then I can't see the jigging line and the bottom lock still bad as above. Thanks to all of your helping.
    Last edited by azkiko; 06-23-2017 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Add pictures

11. Member
    Hi Garmin Pro Team.
    I bought this unit from a member here is the warranty still works ?
    Thanks.

12. Member
    I dont know about the warranty, but you can call Garmin support and ask them.

I dont think you have anything wrong with the unit.

You didnt answer my question before about any other electrical or electronic things on the boat? It looks to me like the noise is gone in those new pictures - did you change something?.

I think you should try some different settings as far as the noise and seeing your jig.

In those pictures, you have the unit set to a fixed frequency of 200 khz. At that frequency the sonar has the narrowest cone angle. It will be harder to see your jig unless it is directly under the transducer.

Change it to CHIRP mode. You can see targets better with lower gain and less noise in CHIRP mode. It will also have a wider effective cone angle so your jig should show up better.

Most important, your jig will still need to be under the transducer or you wont be able to see it.

13. Member
    " You didnt answer my question before about any other electrical or electronic things on the boat? It looks to me like the noise is gone in those new pictures - did you change something?. "

No any other electronic or electrical running and noise interference still with bottom lock mode only.

" In those pictures, you have the unit set to a fixed frequency of 200 khz. At that frequency the sonar has the narrowest cone angle. It will be harder to see your jig unless it is directly under the transducer. "

Fixed frequency of 200 khz or CHIRP didn't make any much different.

" Most important, your jig will still need to be under the transducer or you wont be able to see it. "

With other FF I didn't have problem to clearly see my jig where I fish on the boat didn't have to be under the X-ducer

" I dont think you have anything wrong with the unit. "

Did you see the pictures that the unit lost reading at depth most of time it showed top 9-13 ft when the actual depth's > 50 ft.

Look like I have to call Garmin service center and thank you.

14. Member
    Im not sure whats going on where you lost bottom depth. It looks to me like the gain is just too hi, but it could be there is a layer of something in the water. Possibly an inversion layer or thermocline? Next time, try turning down the Gain and have it in CHIRP mode and see if it gets the bottom depth correct.

What water are you fishing in - a lake or river or ocean?

15. Member
    Now you remind me it's cloud of fries in clear freshwater lake, that could explain why I lost bottom reading, here's typical striper school picture I took few years earlier:

16. Member
    That could do it.

I had the engineers take a look at this. It does seem like it isn't a bottom lock issue at all. No doubt, with the manual gain up high the unit can track either a dense school of fish/bait or a thermocline as the bottom.
    Garmin Pro Team