Thread: Sonar Shopping

Sonar Shopping

Time to start pimping my new Pescador Pro 120. I like the Hook 4, but don't want to regret buying something too small so....what are you all using for your yak sonars?
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

I'm a Humminbird guy myself. I currently have the following units on my Hobies and haven't had any problems with any of them.

Helix 7 SI G2
    859ci HD DI
    698ci HD SI
    597ci HD DI

I'm fairly certain that my 2018 Pro Angler 14 will be sporting a Humminbird Helix 10 SI G2N MEGA on it. The technology is just too fantastic to pass up on and I don't see the point in going with the 9" Helix since it uses the same housing as the 10" only with a smaller actual screen. If you haven't checked out the MEGA units from Humminbird then you're missing out! Thankfully BerleyPro has already come out with a transducer mount for it to fit the Hobies so mounting that giant thing isn't going to be an issue!

3. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Waiting for the RayMarine AXIOM RealVision 3D myself.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

My vote would be the Humminbird Helix 7 SI G2 or the Lowrance Elite 7 TI. Spend the extra $$ and get the bigger screen. I started with a Lowrance Elite-4X (precursor to the Hook4) and then on to a Lowrance HDS7 Gen II touch...huge difference! Tried the Humminbird Helix 7 this year and I like it a lot. Not as user friendly up front as the HDS7 and some more button pushes to get to a few necessary items...but I think the sonar/DI/SI quality is better than Lowrance.

Huge option though for us kayakers on the Helix 7 G2 is autochart live....being able to create topographic maps on the fly of those small lakes that we can only get into. I also really like being able to highlight certain depths on the Humminbird that I couldn't do on Lowrance. I can target a certain depth range once I develop a pattern.

Cool info. Sounds like you all are just using the big graphs just like the one big boats use. I'll have to look at the helix 7. I'll also have to check out the RayMarine AXIOM RealVision 3D. I've never even heard of that before. Thanks!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

I'm digging my Dragonfly 5 Pro so far. Just the down scan CHIRP. I fish mainly shallow though so side scan wouldn't help on a whole lot of water I fish.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Actually the downscan is more useful to me in deep water and the sidescan is a shallow water tool.

8. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I like bigger units but I have large PA-14's. Side & down imaging also very nice to have in addition to GPS. Basic units also work well, just depends on your preference & budget. I prefer Humminbird and have an 899 on one and a 997 on the other, and of the two I like the 899 as it is about perfect size for my kayak and still easy to see in split screen and SI modes. The 997 is just a bit large and sometimes gets in my way.