Fixing a scratch

I was pulling my boat out of my drive way today, I've got a narrow strip of pavement next to my house where I keep my boat. I wasn't paying attention like an idiot and one of my bushes put a long scratch down the side of my painted aluminum RT188. The scratch isn't deep, it just looks like a line that is a slightly lighter color than the gun metal gray on the boat.

Anyone have experience fixing these types of scratches? There is no loose paint or anything...do I simply buff it out? Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    The way you describe it, it sounds like it's just a light surface scratch. If you can't feel it all dragging a fingernail over it, then you can probably just hand rub it out with a microfiber cloth and polish. If it won't come out by hand, then it should surely come out using an orbital buffer with a fine compound. This is what I would think without seeing it in person. Worst case scenario if it's deeper yet, is you might need to sand it with maybe 1500 grit paper and use a buffer with compound. But I don't think you'll need to go to those extremes with how you describe the scratch.

3. Member
    Yes you are right, a light surface scratch. The tip of the branch seemed to run down the edge. Any particular brand cloth/polish you could recommend (this is my first boat and I'm still learning).

4. Member
    I use 3m perfect-it for compound. It has virtually no grit in it so it will keep swirling to a minimum. You will want to follow that up with the 3m perfect-it machine glaze to remove any fine swirls from the compound. But you might try just starting with the glaze first. Cause if it's a really fine surface scratch it shouldn't take much work to get it out. If you were close I'd have you run it by my shop and I'd help you out. Really sounds like an easy fix. Let me if you have any success.

5. Member
    Oh, and any microfiber towel should do...the ones you can get at Walmart or oriellys parts store.