repower vs new vs keep till blows LOL

Since I have been on this site off/on since about 2002....I am sure I have seen this talked about a lot but here goes. I still owe 5K on my old 2001 TR19 with the 200 EFI Merc and 2001 trailer. Owned boat for 6 yrs now. Motor good....just had ECU drivers totally rebuilt but a thirsty EFI motor. Hull is very solid, new carpet too...what a job that was. New seats too. Everything else is stock and basic maintenance.

I have 3 options....and financially #3 is best but ya know how us guys are....
    1) Repower with a new 200 Pro XS, Merc Monitor etc and new dual axle trailer ( I hate single axles). About 18K best guess after selling my motor.
    2) Sell boat, NADA lists for high of 14K but think that is not realistic...more like 11-12K and take the 6-7K profit from sale and apply to a new boat. Back in the hole about a net of 45K but warranty, dual axles, etc. New boat I would get would be a 52K max boat. I even like the Triton 18 tins as well as other makes of 18-20 footers glass n tin so not locked into a brand.
    3) Keep as is and put $$ back over time in case motor finally pops or save for new knowing NADA will go down too.

Pros/Cons of people who has faced same? Not a rich dude......retired by the Military thru the VA so......it is what it is. Thanks.

2. Member
    I went through the same delima. I decided to repower and upgrade. .........I don't know if it was the right decision or not.i did a new G2... 12" bird, new ultrex, new digital controls having my seats custom recovered now, and I'm sure they will look great.. my carpet is still good ... I am planning on freshening up the hull and cap at a glass shop in the winter when I don't mind being down.. I figure I'm going to end up spending close to 30 grand. That's a little less than half what a comparable new rig would cost..What it came down to is I love this boat, it's a beast and does everything I want it to do. But I still have a 14 yr old rig. And yet with all the quality issues you hear at least I know what I got .. my experience and opinions for what it's worth...

yeah I forgot about a hyd plate too to replace my 8" Z Lock. Adds up fast but new boats are stupid high.....but we all like new shiny things I guess. My wallet sure does not. One good thing for scenario #1 is it is a good Earl Bentz hull. Those older TR19's are little rockets. I rather it be a 21 ft'r but this one goes anywhere I want it to. One good thing I have had it wrapped for 5 yrs and taking that off soon due to wraps start going bad after 2 yrs but my wife and son's sign shop they work at uses the good stuff. LOL So gel coat real good. If any spider cracks they are hidden under wrap tho....was none beforehand. Decisions .... decisions.

4. @delta_fisher
    if you do get a hydraulic jack and ant to donate your z lock to the needy.... remember me lol

ive got a 99 tr18 I've been slowly modernizing. But it's expensive! Especially on a solo income!
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

Kinda depends on your goals. Do you want a boat that will be with you for a significant amount of time. If that's the case the new, or newish, is probably better. New boats are high but it is nice knowing everything is new and under warranty. But, you can get a good deal on some lightly used boats if you shop around a bit. Putting that much money into an older boat won't really ever pay for itself. If you decide you want to sell it in a few years you won't see that investment reflected in the price you can get. You'll invest 18K and still have a boat that will only bring maybe 15k. Now, no boat is going to retain all of its value but I think a newer boat will retain more.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Bruce you are smarter than you look. LOL Hope to see ya out on the water soon buddy.

7. Member
    I have the 02 TR 20 with 225 Opti and just a 6 inch fixed jack plate . I bought it new in 02 of course mine is paid for , so I have decided to re power if and only when the motor pops . The new boats do not have any huge changes in design that make me want to spend $55 to $60 grand . I replace things a little at a time like I just replaced the windshields and the trailer jack . This winter I am painting the trailer with gatorhyde . A new Mercury 225 Pro XS if you shop is only $13,999. Besides they really don't make a better boat than the TR 20 now .

Dale you are right. However the old Triton trailers are enclosed metal...stronger but can rust from the inside out. Mine just has surface rust in spots so I am ok with it. The next one will be a C channel or I beam....whichever I can get affordable if I go that route. TR20 is an awesome hull. Mine is close to your size....but limited to a 200 so you have a bit more gitty up.

9. Member
    Repower.......If you like your boat.

10. Member
    Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but a new TRX-19 with a 200 is $40K. Trade that thing in or sell it outright and get what you really want. Keep the economy rolling. You NEVER make out with a re-power in my opinion and especially if your looking at swapping out your trailer. Terrible idea.

11. Member
    I have the c channel trailer being in Tidewater Va. most trailers are galvanized or c channel

12. Banned
    First are you happy with the current boat itself? If not get rid of it now to maximize your selling price and then buy what you really want in a rig! If happy run it until she blows and then re-power with your choice of motor brand and maximum available warranty. Take old blown motor and part out the good pieces to recapture some of the re-power costs. While waiting for it to blow start putting money aside for a new motor and another trailer since you don't like your single axle.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    First are you happy with the current boat itself? If not get rid of it now to maximize your selling price and then buy what you really want in a rig! If happy run it until she blows and then re-power with your choice of motor brand and maximum available warranty. Take old blown motor and part out the good pieces to recapture some of the re-power costs. While waiting for it to blow start putting money aside for a new motor and another trailer since you don't like your single axle.
    exactly. The hull is fast....but narrow compared to newer. I rather have a bigger boat but I am 54 and can't justify a huge boat loan note. It is a squirrely handling boat for sure but I have been in a lot worse. I can make due easily and not locked in either way.

I elected to refurbish vs. buy new. I figured by the time I replaced carpet, re-covered seats, added new trailer, electronics, trolling motor, minor repairs and new motor....I'd be pushing $30,000 lighter in the wallet. The main items will have warranty...TM, electronics, trailer, and motor when I'm done. So buying new would only yield a new hull and probably cost me $50,000 out of pocket after I sell my boat.

I started back around 2014 and I'm down to Electronics and Motor remaining. I'll run the motor until it dies. But, I am putting a little money aside for replacement of both the motor and electronics.

15. Member
    This is the eternal question of bass boat owners. One I will be dealing with in a couple years.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS