Ignition Switch Help

Ive got a 2010 TR 18 SE and am having some trouble with the ignition switch. When you put the key in and go to start it it won't turn and it take a couple minutes of fiddling with it to get it to i guess make the connection and fire. As soon as the key goes it fires up perfect so its not the motor, the key is like its not wanting to fit. I don't know what happened but this just started a few months ago and its gotten to where it won't hardly do anything sometimes. So anyone have experience with this? Is the connection or something just out of what in the ignition switch and it needs a new ignition switch? If so is it hard to replace and where do i go about getting a new ignition switch? any help would be great. thanks again

I'd say new switch and be done with it! there are tiny springs over each tumbler and they rust after awhile. Some have the very tip of key, that actually is what turns the electrical contacts/ switch to start/stop motor, they can go bad. that's why y see pics, when cars are stolen , the actual key lock cylinder is slide hammered out of the steering post. unlocks steering wheel . then they just use a tip of screw driver or similar to turn the electrical switch to start car. Ski Boat with marine converted car engine's can get buy with a auto part store ign switch for a few seasons, then internals rust. but with a bass boat best to get OEM same Marine switch that was factory installed Out Boards different critter, with the push to choke etc set ups. just a quick shot of wd-40/ or a small drop of 3n1 oil on key and insert a few times in key hole ever so often keeps corrosion down.

3. Member
    I would lubricate with a light spray oil before doing anything and see if that helps... If not replace the switch.. takes about 20 minutes and very simple.

4. Member
    thanks for the info from both of you. do either of yall have any suggestions on where to get a replacement switch that has the choke on it by any chance?

5. Member
    I would spend the bucks and get an OEM switch from my dealer.??.?..you have a choke on a 2010??.

6. Member
    I thought it does, maybe it doesnt. its got a 150 Proxs

7. Member
    I know nothing about mercs but I think that motor is fuel injected. Maybe it's a glow plug or something. Evinrude's kill switch is in the ignition and presses in similar to the way the old chokes used to work..