Attaching wires under the LED strip

Has anyone tried soldering the wires from the underside of the LED strips? If this is possible, it would make for a neat install.

If there are exposed pads on the backside already, that should be possible - but you'd need to be very brief with a soldering iron to prevent delaminating the pads from the substrate (polyimide insulation in most cases on flexible LEDs).
    If there are no exposed pads, you'd have to skive through the substrate to expose the backside of a pad. This is tricky to not blow right through the pads. And again, you'd have to use very little heat when soldering to prevent bubbling the clear overcoat of the LED.

3. Member
    I have done it , it's very easy!!! here is a video to show you....
    08 Triton 21X2

4. Member
    On the LED strips I have, if take the paper backing off the adhesive, you could clearly see the copper conductors. What I'd imagine I'd have to do is cut through the adhesive to get to bare copper. If I could solder the wire to the middle of the strip, it would make my installation seamless with no exposed wires.

5. Member
    I know your problem with the wires coming off the LED strips. I have bluewaters, I like them, am happy, and the way they do the wiring is fine but not perfect as far as I'm concerned. It's very hard to make it look really clean the way they deal with the wires coming off the strips. The shrink wrap that is used isn't exactly tight to the wires, and it's just not as refined as it could be perhaps with a little more R&D.

I happen to have a loc-r-bar on mine, and I used a carbide bur to grind out little channels in the back side of the loc-r-bar plates that go into the gunnels. Plan is to tuck the wires in behind there and it will look clean. I don't have it done yet, otherwise I'd have pics to share. Might be able to get some up in a little but, just to show what I have so far, might be some food for thought.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I drill a small hole directly behind where the wires come out of the Bluewater strip so you can't see the wires...
    Last edited by crank68; 06-16-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Uneducated
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Notch the backside of the heat shrink

8. Member
    Well here's the gist of it, if it helps anyone else out, great. Putting the holes behind the loc-r-bar plate is good for concealing them, especially if you ever had to remove the lights for whatever reason, then you don't have any open holes left to deal with. I think the pics give the idea. I'm having the plates powdercoated, the strips will be above the factory aluminum carpet trim once I get it all back together. I figured the time it took to notch out the aluminum would be worth if for a real tight, clean light install. Went with custom length lights too (thanks Blue Water).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

That'll be clean lookin no doubt...
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Well here's the gist of it, if it helps anyone else out, great. Putting the holes behind the loc-r-bar plate is good for concealing them, especially if you ever had to remove the lights for whatever reason, then you don't have any open holes left to deal with. I think the pics give the idea. I'm having the plates powdercoated, the strips will be above the factory aluminum carpet trim once I get it all back together. I figured the time it took to notch out the aluminum would be worth if for a real tight, clean light install. Went with custom length lights too (thanks Blue Water).

Very nice!
    BLUE WATER LED, LLC
    1-800-221-BLUE (2583)

http://www.bluewaterled.com

Great idea!

12. Member
    Has anyone tried using a track of some sort similar to this, to hide the wires somehow behind track? These are from TH Marine.

I was thinking maybe adding some small clam shells on the ends of the light strips to hide the wires as well. Just looking for the cleanest install.

Thoughts?
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

Has anyone tried using a track of some sort similar to this, to hide the wires somehow behind track? These are from TH Marine.
    I'd imagine the track would work well on a level, straight surface - is it flexible to conform to a concave surface (like bow gunwales)?

Bluewater makes the highest quality strip you'll find with 3M VHB backing. They will not come off a correctly prepared surface. Drill the small hole behind the end at the heat shrink and notch it as stated above....you're done. Life time warranty too !!!
    www.ncboatguy.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I know your problem with the wires coming off the LED strips. I have bluewaters, I like them, am happy, and the way they do the wiring is fine but not perfect as far as I'm concerned. It's very hard to make it look really clean the way they deal with the wires coming off the strips. The shrink wrap that is used isn't exactly tight to the wires, and it's just not as refined as it could be perhaps with a little more R&D.

I happen to have a loc-r-bar on mine, and I used a carbide bur to grind out little channels in the back side of the loc-r-bar plates that go into the gunnels. Plan is to tuck the wires in behind there and it will look clean. I don't have it done yet, otherwise I'd have pics to share. Might be able to get some up in a little but, just to show what I have so far, might be some food for thought.
    I installed the bluewaters led late last year and loc r bar recently. I had to install the loc r bar over the strip. Otherwise i would have done the same thing as you. Still turned out ok but with visible loose wire exposed.
    Still looking goodno much wire to show.
    The shrink have much to be desired. The shrink wrap is not tight at all and most barely hanging on.
    Tried "gluing" wrap to led strip but still loose. I guess i expect for the money spent and name recognition,
    the shrink be better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Bluewater makes the highest quality strip you'll find with 3M VHB backing. They will not come off a correctly prepared surface. Drill the small hole behind the end at the heat shrink and notch it as stated above....you're done. Life time warranty too !!!
    Do you have a close up picture of a light strip installed and where I'm supposed to notch to hide the wires? I'm about to order the Bluewater lights and haven't decided with either the Extreme Pro's or the flex strips.

Thanks.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie_diaz View Post
    Do you have a close up picture of a light strip installed and where I'm supposed to notch to hide the wires? I'm about to order the Bluewater lights and haven't decided with either the Extreme Pro's or the flex strips.

Thanks.
    message sent ....
    www.ncboatguy.com