Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
    Which model battery would you recommend for a cranking​ battery? I'm running 2 talons, 3 lowrance unit's, pump's and​ so on. Thanks
    Check out our site lithiumpros.com and look at the M3110 and M3180 the M3110 is what I recommend

2. BBC SPONSOR
    lol thank you

In the event a person was to drain their lithium cranking battery can they jump start it from a lead battery.

I suppose this question is more for the engine manufacturer that I will leave un-named but I have read here on BBC there is one particular engine manufacturer that recommends not to use lithium batteries. Is this just internet rumor or is it okay to run a cranking lithium battery on any motor.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    In the event a person was to drain their lithium cranking battery can they jump start it from a lead battery.

I suppose this question is more for the engine manufacturer that I will leave un-named but I have read here on BBC there is one particular engine manufacturer that recommends not to use lithium batteries. Is this just internet rumor or is it okay to run a cranking lithium battery on any motor.
    Yes you can jump it (not recommended to do a lot). as far as the un-named MFG, there is a motor (older one) that can not use lithium. Old Yamahas and all Suzukis

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LithiumProsJoe View Post
    Yes you can jump it (not recommended to do a lot). as far as the un-named MFG, there is a motor (older one) that can not use lithium. Old Yamahas and all Suzukis
    Interesting thread.
    Last edited by cmb; 06-17-2017 at 10:47 AM.

6. Member
    Do you think the pallets of lithium batteries on Malaysian flight MH370 is what led to the disaster? I read they had a lot of lithium batteries they were transporting...which is now banned on all flights. I can't believe nobody explored that theory...I heard when they catch fire it is catastrophic.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Do you think the pallets of lithium batteries on Malaysian flight MH370 is what led to the disaster? I read they had a lot of lithium batteries they were transporting...which is now banned on all flights. I can't believe nobody explored that theory...I heard when they catch fire it is catastrophic.
    No the plane flew off and onto somewhere else!!
    If it would have been a fire on board the Transponder and other items that allow them to be tracked wouldn't have been turned off. There would have been a radio call for help and the plane would have crashed close by.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    back to the original question, ill ask the lithium experts .. could you take a small 3-1 ratio transformer and connect the 36v to the 12 to use for emergency jumping scenario mentioned in the beginning of this thread??

sorry, the question I was referring to was in another thread about being able to use the 36v lithium to jump the 12v starting battery in an emergency...
    Transformers don't work with DC. Must be alternating current or pulsed DC. And even if you could the current needed to start a motor would be a heck of a transformer.

9. Member
    Not if the batteries exploded and basically took everything out. a friend of mine has been on that plane and was an engineer that designed it. He said no way could the pilot turn off whatever it was they were theorizing. My guess is those batteries had something to do with it. Just my theory because they were quick to dismiss mentioning that with the cargo. there was something like (3) pallets of batteries they were shipping. I heard those batteries literally burn under water and the only way to put the fire out is covering in dirt. Not trying to hijack (no pun intended) of the purpose of this thread but guys are generally concerned about this issue with these batteries. Huge investment going into an even bigger investment (the boat or the garage/house the boat is parked in). I just don't see the advantage to gain 1-2 mph by making my boat lighter for that cost and risk. I'm asking to learn truth from myth

Quote Originally Posted by LithiumProsJoe View Post
    Our BATTERIES will work in the cold but MUST BE taken inside or to above 32 degrees to be charged.
    Keep in mind the OP is answering for the Lithium Pros brand only.

Relion lithiums can be charged and will work down to minus 5 degrees F. I have personally charged around 0 degrees F, used around 18 deg F, and charged/used over 100 degrees with my Relions. No issues!
    Last edited by TKB; 06-18-2017 at 10:50 PM.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TKB View Post
    Keep in mind the OP is answering for the Lithium Pros brand only.

Relion lithiums can be charged and will work down to minus 5 degrees F. I have personally charged around 0 degrees F, used around 18 deg F, and charged/used over 100 degrees with my Relions. No issues!
    +1

12. Member
    Just purchased a Phoenix 920 with LithiumPro batteries. I have 1 M3140 for the TM (MK 112) and 1 cranking battery (don't know the model). I traced the wires coming from the LP charger (small blue box) and they are wired directly to the batteries, but after charging overnight, my cranking battery had barely enough to turn the motor over. After running throughout the day, the cranking battery improved (so I'm assuming the charger is working). This morning I put a volt meter on both batteries, the TM battery was around 41v, the cranking was at 13.10, with the battery selector switch to "off". I plugged in the charger and the cranking battery remained at 13.10, but when I move the battery selector to the "1" position it went up to 13.30. Is that the normal charging voltage? In other boats, I've charged the batteries with the selector on "off", but I'm wondering if this boat is wired different, even though the charger wires are going directly to the batteries. Thoughts?
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    What electronics are on the boat? NMEA, GPS, MFD could still be consuming powered up even turned off!

The small blue charger is the one that charges while the big motor is running, it won't charge the cranking battery, you should have an AC charger to charge the cranking battery!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    What electronics are on the boat? NMEA, GPS, MFD could still be consuming powered up even turned off!

The small blue charger is the one that charges while the big motor is running, it won't charge the cranking battery, you should have an AC charger to charge the cranking battery!
    Thanks for the reply. I have a Lowrance HDS10 & 8 and installed. That's interesting you mention the LP charger not charging the cranking battery. My understanding is that it will charge the cranking first till 85% capacity (or something similar), then move over to charge the TM battery. I currently have a single bank MK charger (PC110 I think) which powers the LP charger, then the LP charger is what is supposed to charge both batteries.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Nope!! The trolling motor batteries charge when the cranking batter is full! Once the cranking is full the extra power is then routed thru the Blue box to the trolling motor batteries. Even when you disconnect the AC charger the cranking battery will continue to charge the trolling motor batteries until the voltage gets to around 13.5. then it shuts off the voltage from the cranking battery.

look at it this way, when you are charging the cranking battery via alternator or AC charger the cranking battery will only get so full, When this happens the voltage then flows to the trolling motor batteries.
    Its going to protect your cranking first, then charge the Trolling motor batteries. So if you run out 20 min and fish all day, the trolling motor might not ever get a charge, But if you spend some of the time idling around, or running from spot to spot, when the cranking is topped off it will start to charge the trolling motor batteries.

Thing of a glass on top of a glass, when the top glass is full the water will run down the side to fill the glass below it!!

Your ac charger should connect straight to the cranking. You should have 4 wires off the LP charger, a red, a yellow, and two orange. The red+ and yellow- connects to the cranking battery. Should have a jumper yellow that goes from the ground on the cranking to the ground on the trolling motor. Then the Orange goes to the + of the trolling motor batteries, or battery.

Call Danny at 888-588-4506 if you have any questions.

Should you run one 24 volt battery for your trolling motor or two 12 volt batteries?
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

17. Member
    I run 2 ReLion batteries for my TM. If one goes bad, I can always get a 12V battery from Walmart as a temporary solution. With one 24V battery you can't do that. I considered both, but chose two 12V.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    One should be fine if your not fishing heavy grass for 8 hours!!
    For the price difference if you could swing it go with the two batteries and double your fishing and half your charging time!!

If you have to send one back, your still good on the water, until they get it back, they are using FedEx shipping and have a quick turn around time!

Yet I have never had an issue!!

19. Member
    Why did Jacob Wheelers batteries fail on his first tournament?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Nope!! The trolling motor batteries charge when the cranking batter is full! Once the cranking is full the extra power is then routed thru the Blue box to the trolling motor batteries. Even when you disconnect the AC charger the cranking battery will continue to charge the trolling motor batteries until the voltage gets to around 13.5. then it shuts off the voltage from the cranking battery.

look at it this way, when you are charging the cranking battery via alternator or AC charger the cranking battery will only get so full, When this happens the voltage then flows to the trolling motor batteries.
    Its going to protect your cranking first, then charge the Trolling motor batteries. So if you run out 20 min and fish all day, the trolling motor might not ever get a charge, But if you spend some of the time idling around, or running from spot to spot, when the cranking is topped off it will start to charge the trolling motor batteries.

Thing of a glass on top of a glass, when the top glass is full the water will run down the side to fill the glass below it!!

Your ac charger should connect straight to the cranking. You should have 4 wires off the LP charger, a red, a yellow, and two orange. The red+ and yellow- connects to the cranking battery. Should have a jumper yellow that goes from the ground on the cranking to the ground on the trolling motor. Then the Orange goes to the + of the trolling motor batteries, or battery.

Call Danny at 888-588-4506 if you have any questions.
    Wow Hickory, thank you for the detailed write-up! Makes sense to me now. I'll give Danny a call this week for sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234