Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advise on 4 blade prop for tracker 195 TXW

2016 Merc 150 fourstroke
    Tempest plus 24P
    Mounted on 2nd hole from top
    Prop to pad: 4.5 in
    Top speed: 59-60 mph
    Top rpm: 5610

Speed from gps, rpm from mercmoniter. Full tourny load, 3/4 tank fuel. There was a slight chop on the water today so may be able to get a little more trim. Any help is greatly appreciated. May add 2 12 talons in the future if that will make a difference.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Totalscan -Bow
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Airmar Tm150 / 3D- Console
    Hydrowave V2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    10cc Black light LED's deck & rub rail

2. Member
    Can't give advise if we don't know what you are wanting
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

Wanting better hole shot and overall handling. Merc prop says trophy plus in 24-25P. Didnt know of there was a different/ better choice.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    Hydrowave V2

Your motor rpms is rated at 5800. And I know you stay in same pitch going from Tempest to a Trophy Plus. But you have a little wiggle room. So I 24 is not out of the question. But you might want to consider 23p. It's kind a shame they didn't make the Fury 4 down to a 150 motor. If it was a 200 that's the prop.

With that said, drive ability and hole would be much improved over the tempest prop. But to run a Trophy it has to be high. So the good benefits of this prop not show up unless you move that motor up to the third hole. That's the only way I would switch out to the trophy. If you're not willing to move the motor up I would just stay with the prop you have now. But if it's was my boat, I'd move the motor up a hole anyway. On these hulls with motors 115 and up they just preform better. Just going up a hole will get you 50 to 100 rpms. Then you will find that tempest works even better.

I am having a hard time, with your prop to pad measurement. I can't see it 4-1/2" mounted in the second hole. Check that again. I would think it's around 6-1/2" in that hole. And your transom is 22-1/4" right. Tell me if it's different.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 06-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    Better hole shot and handling will be greatly improved with a jackplate if you are willing to go that route. I asked the service manager at bass pro about the warranty before I put mine on and they said no problem, just take it off if any issues arise, which I've never had any.

Tempest is a great prop but they are 9 out of 10 times not true out of the box and sending it to Mark Croxton will make a big difference. You are going to be limited to what you can get out of other props without a plate.

2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps

Quote Originally Posted by turbocoupe View Post
    Better hole shot and handling will be greatly improved with a jackplate if you are willing to go that route. I asked the service manager at bass pro about the warranty before I put mine on and they said no problem, just take it off if any issues arise, which I've never had any.

Tempest is a great prop but they are 9 out of 10 times not true out of the box and sending it to Mark Croxton will make a big difference. You are going to be limited to what you can get out of other props without a plate.

Ive really thought about adding a plate. Was just worried about how nose high it may sit ( plus if i get 2 talons down the road ).

Gator- I will double check on the prop to pad this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyghtryder_9 View Post
    Ive really thought about adding a plate. Was just worried about how nose high it may sit ( plus if i get 2 talons down the road ).

Gator- I will double check on the prop to pad this afternoon.
    I just saw your transom is 23" so in that hole you should be around 6-5.5" if you are less then 5" don't move the motor. Just add the prop. But Iam with turbocoupe on this. Jack plate

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

The Tempest Plus that you are running is one of the recommended propellers. However, if you are looking for better hole shot then you should probably go to a 4 blade prop such as the Trophy Plus in a 23P. Rule of thumb here is that going from a 3 blade prop to a 4 blade you drop down one pitch. In doing so you may gain another 100 rpm or stay the same like I did when I went to the 19PX7 from a 20P Laser II. The 4 blade will give you better handling and should be a big improvement on your hole shot. One of the benefits of the Trophy Plus also will be your boat will stick like glue in turns which is a good thing. Your overall handling will be better. Like you hear from you on what your final decision will be and how it works out for you.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

I would give a Trophy plus 24p a try. A 24p Trophy plus would be comparable to a 23p Tempest. It should give you a better hole shot and handling. The trophy really gives some nice lift and allows you to stay on plane at slower speeds also. I run a 25p Trophy plus on my Merc. 135hp Optimax, but I believe it has a lower gear ratio then what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    I just saw your transom is 23" so in that hole you should be around 6-5.5" if you are less then 5" don't move the motor. Just add the prop. But Iam with turbocoupe on this. Jack plate
    Just rechecked. My garage floor it isnt perfectly level, but its between 4.75 & 5.

So going with the Trophy plis, would i go down to 23p or stay at 24p?
    Last edited by Nyghtryder_9; 06-14-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    Hydrowave V2

Just rechecked. My garage floor it isnt perfectly level, but its between 4.75 & 5.

So going with the Trophy plis, would i go down to 23p or stay at 24p?
    I would go down to a 23 pitch because sling in that fourth blade you're going to lose RPMs. And you need to really go up on your RPMs. I think the 23 will work great

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    I would go down to a 23 pitch because sling in that fourth blade you're going to lose RPMs. And you need to really go up on your RPMs. I think the 23 will work great
    Perfect. I will give the 23P a go. Thanks for all the help.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    Hydrowave V2

13. Member
    Report back if you will when you get your results in with the Trophy. I really don't think its going to be worth changing props especially with a Trophy as it really likes a plate but every boat is different. You would probably be surprised what a worked Tempest would do. I would give Mark a call or a shout on the "props" section and let him give his 2 cents before I spent any money. No one knows props like he does.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps

Update: Installed a trophy plus 23P with flo torq iv and merc prop ring. WOW what a difference. Hole shot is awesome. On plain in about 1.5 sec. It holds excellent in turns and rides extremely stable @ all speeds. Top speed was 61.8@ 5710 rpm fully loaded, and had some more in her if there wasnt so many tubers doing donuts everywhere. Side note the flo torq iv hub eliminated all vibration i had idling before.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    Hydrowave V2

Update: Installed a trophy plus 23P with flo torq iv and merc prop ring. WOW what a difference. Hole shot is awesome. On plain in about 1.5 sec. It holds excellent in turns and rides extremely stable @ all speeds. Top speed was 61.8@ 5710 rpm fully loaded, and had some more in her if there wasnt so many tubers doing donuts everywhere. Side note the flo torq iv hub eliminated all vibration i had idling before.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

16. Member
    I have the same boat as you. What all was in your boat, how many people, livewell, ice chest ,etc? With factory 24p tempest my boat was sluggish to plan out with 3 adults, 1 child, small ice chest and no water in live well. On this same day we tried to slolum ski and the factory prop'd 150 four stroke just didn't have it. Can you give me more feedback on your new prop. How much better was your hole shot? Have you pulled any skiers ? Thanks

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces View Post
    I have the same boat as you. What all was in your boat, how many people, livewell, ice chest ,etc? With factory 24p tempest my boat was sluggish to plan out with 3 adults, 1 child, small ice chest and no water in live well. On this same day we tried to slolum ski and the factory prop'd 150 four stroke just didn't have it. Can you give me more feedback on your new prop. How much better was your hole shot? Have you pulled any skiers ? Thanks
    That is a pretty hefty load. What rmps are you seeing at wide open throttle? I would assume most guys on here set their boat up for two guys and a tournament load. Adding an extra adult and child will change your prop requirement significantly. My setup is a little different than yours, but has the same motor. I have a 23 and 24p trophy plus. I need to verify that my tack is working now, but with the 24p I am only seeing 5400rpms with two guys, full gas, full livewells and tournament gear.
    If you are going to be going out with 3-4 people and skiing I would think you might even consider a 21p Trophy Plus (Depending on what rmps you're running now). I have to say my boat handles great with the trophy, and hole shot is good too.
    2008 XPRESS H18
    2017 MERC 150 4S

18. Member
    Blue print and redistribute weight and you have a 61 mph aluminum
    2013 Skeeter ZX20, 250 SHO
    26 pitch Turbo FXP

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    I would give a Trophy plus 24p a try. A 24p Trophy plus would be comparable to a 23p Tempest. It should give you a better hole shot and handling. The trophy really gives some nice lift and allows you to stay on plane at slower speeds also. I run a 25p Trophy plus on my Merc. 135hp Optimax, but I believe it has a lower gear ratio then what you have.
    Actually it is the opposite on the direction to go on going from a 3 blade prop to a 4 blade prop. When you go to a 4 blade prop from a 3 you should go down one pitch because you have more blade area in contact with the water.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

20. Member
    I have a tracker 195 twx with a 150 4 stroke with a 24” pitch tempest plus...the max rpms on the motor is 5800...I can only get 5600 loaded with fishing equipment and another person I can only get 54 mph I was just wondering if anyone had any prop advice as to whether or not I need to go up in pitch or down or go with a 4 blade or stay with a 3 blade...I want to get more top end speed I do I have a talon and a 24 volt trolling motor on there as well...would like to know if I would notice a difference in speed changing props and which ones you all recommend...prop to pad is about 4.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast