Transducer mounting location. 1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL

Previous owner had an older humminbird ducer on the transom.

Holes matched so I tried my Helix 7 ducer in the same location, but im getting noticable interference, and not very clear on SI, DI or 2D.

Should I mount it on the next step down? Not where the plug is, but the middle section where the livewell drains are?

On my '95 201 I had a poor result with my 2d skimmer (L) at the location you refer to. Once I'm at 45+ I lose bottom. For the DI/SI you'd probably be fine (not running that on plane) but if you want on-plane 2d, I'd go on down - that's what I'm doing. My SS is on the jp.

Does anyone have pictures of a transducer mounted on one of these hulls which is known to provide good results? A ruler in the photo for reference would be very helpful as well. It would be nice for guys to have a good reference before they drill holes or glue on transducer mounting boards to their boats.

Hello, bringing this thread back into play, because I am mounting a new downscan transducer on my transom and would really appreciate a picture of a transducer mounted in the optimum location. My current transducer is mounted inside the bilge to shoot thru, so I really have no idea where to put the transducer on the transom. I am going to be epoxying a stern mate to the transom to mount the transducer so I don't have to drill holes, but a picture of someone else's mounting location which is known to provide good results on plane would be very beneficial for getting me in the ballpark. Thanks!

5. Banned
    do you have a jackplate? that's the best place. a hole shot plate on that jackplate is even better

I have a jack plate with a hole shot plate, but I think the hole shot plate is out of the water once it's on plane. I don't really want to hang my head down there and look at it while going that fast anyway.

on the hole shot plate is the safest place for it to be. No you won't get readings on pad but it also won't get hit by trailer, trees or rocks. If you want on pad depth get a Y cable and use your existing in hull with it.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I have a jack plate with a hole shot plate, but I think the hole shot plate is out of the water once it's on plane. I don't really want to hang my head down there and look at it while going that fast anyway.
    That's why we run a 2d puck in the bilge with a y cable

Thanks for the input. I made an aluminum bracket that let me mount the transducer to the hole shot plate. I still have my old 2d sounder with transducer in the bilge, and will just keep it for readings while on plane.

10. Banned