2014 Mercury Promax 150 water pressure problem

Serial # 2B088110. Engine has less than 50 hours.

I had my impellor changed this spring. After the impellor change, the engine ran great for approximately 45 minutes of run time. Today, I was making a short run when I got an overheat alarm. I immediately shut it down. I checked for weeds but the lower unit was clean. I restarted the motor and after 15 seconds I got the same overheat alarm and shut it immediately down. My wife was on the rear deck and the motor was not "Peeing". My wife noticed a lot of water coming out by the skeg.

I dragged my boat home to me to take it to me dealers on Thursday to see what happened.

Has anyone had a similar problem? My camp is almost 200 miles from home. It is a costly pain to be bringing the boat home, so I want it repaired correctly. I don't know much about outboards, so I can use all the comments I can get. Could it be the new impellor and gaskets or something else? Thanks all.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

2. Member
    Sounds like something came loose at pump or at water tube. It does happen but not a lot. Could be random or problem with install of water pump.

3. Member
    Ended up being a mud dauber plugging the pee hole. I just assumed I lost water pressure causing the overheat alarm. I posted this in another thread. Apparently the pee hole water cools the compressor which apparently threw the alarm. Darn bug.

I have had boats outside since 1980 and never had a bug problem. I am now using an earring protection plug to protect that pee hole. It is bright enough not be be missed. Did searches on mud daubers and many posts out there on people with same problem. Apparently the pee hole is the prefect size for a nest.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Telltale is the outlet for the air compressor cooling circuit- so if it becomes restricted, the compressor WILL overheat.

Simple item to check. There is also a strainer in this cooling circuit that should be cleaned as part of the ANNUAL Maintenance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor