Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

The good guys always win in the end.

3. Member

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

This just makes me smile ..a lot!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Now Navico needs to be counter sued for Harrassment and loss of revenue.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Are GT-52's on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Are GT-52's on the way?
    It sure looks that way.

8. Member
    Are GT-52's on the way?
    Well, dang. Guess I shoulda sold my spare last week

9. Member
    I'd say you could bet on that and more!!! I'm looking forward to seeing new units, new transducers and new capabilities.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Banned
    Question is.... why did it take this long? What did the first court miss, that this one saw.

G-S, they must have talked with Vic..

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Question is.... why did it take this long? What did the first court miss, that this one saw.
    The first court sided with Garmin, next appeal - Lowrance, next decision - Lowrance, Now Garmin. Not much appeal left. Supreme Court not known for hearing patent cases. Lowrance would have to find some procedural something they felt was violated. Looks to me like it's over------- really over and a really tough decision against Lowrance. The court ruled that Lowrance's patent was invalid. So Humminbird and Raymarine have been paying Navico for rights to an invalid patent and likely signed contracts to do that for some time.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The first court sided with Garmin, next appeal - Lowrance, next decision - Lowrance, Now Garmin. Not much appeal left. Supreme Court not known for hearing patent cases. Lowrance would have to find some procedural something they felt was violated. Looks to me like it's over------- really over and a really tough decision against Lowrance. The court ruled that Lowrance's patent was invalid. So Humminbird and Raymarine have been paying Navico for rights to an invalid patent and likely signed contracts to do that for some time.
    Yea, I could see some big plans coming from all the brands as this will open a big door for everybody. Hopefully this will make all brands better

Interesting indeed. So has HB been paying licensing fees all this time to Navico to use a technology that they don't have a valid patent for? Time to demand a refund.

G-S, they must have talked with Vic..
    Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Interesting indeed. So has HB been paying licensing fees all this time to Navico to use a technology that they don't have a valid patent for? Time to demand a refund.
    This is what's Next for lowrance, HB and Raymarine will demand the return of paid Royalties based on invalid patents.

17. Member
    Be interested to see how this affects the transducer situation and how fast Garmin can react. Might have to hold off on the Humminbird I was looking at.

18. Member
    If Garmin had been so sure they were not infringing on Navico, they would have never built the ClearVu transducers to begin with. Garmin knew what they were doing.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy O. View Post
    If Garmin had been so sure they were not infringing on Navico, they would have never built the ClearVu transducers to begin with. Garmin knew what they were doing.
    Garmin was forced to develop the CV52 transducers or not have a transducer to bundle with the Head Units until the law suit was settled. Garmin knew they were in the right or they would not have continued the appeal to federal court.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Garmin was forced to develop the CV52 transducers or not have a transducer to bundle with the Head Units until the law suit was settled. Garmin knew they were in the right or they would not have continued the appeal to federal court.
    Agreed with the analysis above. While it is a disappointing day for a Navico legal team that attempted to stretch patent law to deliver a monopoly to Lowrance, consumers and fishermen should be very happy.

The following quote is spot-on: "Navico’s downscan technology was an obvious modification of old sonar systems..."

Thank God, this court --these judges-- saw through it, and finally set it right. Pointing any sonar system down is NOT a new idea. Most old sonar have always pointed down. Patent law requires patents be "genuinely novel, new".

Garmin took a VERY DIFFICULT and stoic stand, but oddly the stand taken WILL benefit Raymarine and Hummingbird consumers as well as those who appreciate Garmin's products. What Garmin has done will help keep competition and pricing for downscan sonar products a competitive market, and knock down a flimsy patent that will not benefit bass fishermen.

It is interesting, if Navico continues, they won't receive warm fuzzy feeling from fishermen who have a basic economic understanding of how their own economic stakes in legal wordplay.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast