Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Be interested to see how this affects the transducer situation and how fast Garmin can react. Might have to hold off on the Humminbird I was looking at.

I just have a sneaky feeling Garmin hasn't been sitting on their hands. But probably won't see anything new in packaging until after the first of the year.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

2. Member
    Guess I will have to take back, patting myself on the back, for buying a second gt52 ....
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

3. Member
    It would be a nice goodwill gesture to send out replacement transducers to those that purchased the CV's.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    I just have a sneaky feeling Garmin hasn't been sitting on their hands. But probably won't see anything new in packaging until after the first of the year.

SE Kansas grass grower
    Works for me. Probably wasn't buying until the holiday season anyways so if they announce something new a few more months won't hurt.

5. Banned
    So much about this case is totally screwed up. Several courts with different rulings and I'd like to know how a invalid/ illegal patent gets approved. Talk about a win for the lawyers and the rest of the system looking like a joke.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    how a invalid/ illegal patent gets approved ...... lawyers
    You answered your own question.

7. Member
    why does everyone pick on lawyers ? Its only 99% of them giving the impression that they are all bad.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

So much about this case is totally screwed up. Several courts with different rulings and I'd like to know how a invalid/ illegal patent gets approved. Talk about a win for the lawyers and the rest of the system looking like a joke.
    My take on the whole deal was that the validity of the patents was never checked in the first place. The lower courts assumed that the patents were valid. So Lower courts dropped the ball to begin with and it took the Garmin legal team to bring the error to light. I'm glad this over, now the marine electronic companies can get to developing new transducers and other cool crap for fisherman to use without Lowrance/Navico trying sue everyone.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

As someone that deals with patent trolls quite a bit, you would be SHOCKED at stuff there are patents for. And there are companies that buy them up and then start suing and settling - this is how they make a living. I have seen lawsuits for patents on things like having a thumbnail on a website and clicking it for a larger image (yes, you read that right) and another one for a company that had a patent on being able to play a downloaded sound clip on your phone. Every time I see a patent troll case in the technology world, I have to shake my head... I'm not even kidding that some of these patents are so commonplace that it would be like you getting personally sued because someone had a patent for using a fork to eat with. It's crazy.

Dan

Have a nice day!!!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

So... You think Garmin will replace the CV transducers for free... I don't think we should hold our breath...

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    As someone that deals with patent trolls quite a bit, you would be SHOCKED at stuff there are patents for. And there are companies that buy them up and then start suing and settling - this is how they make a living. I have seen lawsuits for patents on things like having a thumbnail on a website and clicking it for a larger image (yes, you read that right) and another one for a company that had a patent on being able to play a downloaded sound clip on your phone. Every time I see a patent troll case in the technology world, I have to shake my head... I'm not even kidding that some of these patents are so commonplace that it would be like you getting personally sued because someone had a patent for using a fork to eat with. It's crazy.

Dan

idiots looking for the quick bucks. I sure hope they never find valid ones.

13. Member
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

idiots looking for the quick bucks. I sure hope they never find valid ones.
    They make an alarming amount of money... they reach out to maybe 15 companies with a letter of intent, settle with 5 of them at 50k each, they made 250k. It's usually a small group of patent lawyers that have the company... they typically don't even have an actual office building.

Navico should pay for a transducer exchange program where CV get free upgrade to GT

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Navico should pay for a transducer exchange program where CV get free upgrade to GT
    That would be nice...just got the 73sv chirp with cv52 about a month ago...

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Agreed and return royalties to Hummingbird and Raymarine.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member
    Pretty much old news now but here is another take on the legalistic side posted by Matthew Prestine on another board.

http://www.dailyreportingsuite.com/i...lid_as_obvious
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Pretty much old news now but here is another take on the legalistic side posted by Matthew Prestine on another board.

http://www.dailyreportingsuite.com/i...lid_as_obvious
    This part is not accurate. DownVu, Down Scan, Down Imaging, and Down Vision use the same crystal shape (linear) as the side looking imaging, not round like 2D sonar.

The second prior art reference was U.S. Patent No. 7,652,952 ("Betts"), entitled "Sonar imaging system for mounting to watercraft." Betts disclosed a sonar system with side scanning and bottom scanning elements. Betts described two linear transducers that scanned the water to the sides of a boat and two circular transducers that scanned the water below the boat.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    I see your point. I thought Humminbird would have contested the Lowrance patent since all they did was take one of the side elements and and point it down using Hbird technology.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast