Recarpeting entire boat?

This will more than likely be a late fall/early winter project for me, but how much carpet is required to recover a 2012 puma ftd? My carpet looks horrible and its wearing through on the corners of several of my compartment lids and at the front deck where I stand. I can see metal showing where the front pole seat bracket is located. Figured I might as well just recover the entire boat and maybe add some padding up front too.

2. Member
    I have an old style jag and just fished my carpet project. I already had my floor by console done previously but ordered 18' for my front and back decks (not a Ftd) and i had almost no scrap cut it a little close but was guessing at it when i ordered it. I would say 28-30' would be safe number but could get by with less depending on what your layout is.

may as well order extra and redo the trailer wheel wells & bunks,be total done with it

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    may as well order extra and redo the trailer wheel wells & bunks,be total done with it
    my trailer is a little over a year old so it doesn't need to be redone. At least I sure hope it doesn't.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Just call BassCat and talk to parts. They can tell you exactly how much carpet you will need and order it for you.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Seething to consider for the cockpit area as alternate to carpet is that SeaDeck material. After seeing another boat that had it, and as much as rain seems to follow me, it will definitely be in the next boat that I recarpet.
    2015 Phoenix 819

7. Member
    When my carpeting wears out on my 11 puma, I may seriously consider doing the whole boat with seadeck. How is your carpet already worn out? Mine still looks like new, over 400 hours on the motor so it gets used. Do you store your boat outside?

8. Member
    My 2005 has never seen a garage. My carpet though matted and hard in spots shows no signs of needing replacement. I loved that thick new carpet feeling when it was brand new, but in no need of attention at the moment.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    Seething to consider for the cockpit area as alternate to carpet is that SeaDeck material. After seeing another boat that had it, and as much as rain seems to follow me, it will definitely be in the next boat that I recarpet.
    Sounds like a good idea. I may look into doing that for the console area.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    When my carpeting wears out on my 11 puma, I may seriously consider doing the whole boat with seadeck. How is your carpet already worn out? Mine still looks like new, over 400 hours on the motor so it gets used. Do you store your boat outside?
    Yeah it stays outside under the cover. I think I have about 400 hours on mine as well. It's funny that mine is wearing the way it is because I have a buddy who has one that is two years newer and he has never once sheltered his in a garage or carport and his carpet is 10 times better than mine. I just talked to him about it on monday and he said his also sits outside with the cover on it.

My carpet is matted and faded. the corners on the livewell lids and icebox are wearing through as well as the front deck where I stand. My first boat, which was a different brand, sat outside for 4 years under its boat cover and the carpet wasn't worn down like this boat.

11. Member

This is probably the area that bugs me the most. My carpet used to be the dark ash color. You can see the metal showing through where the pedestal bracket is under the carpet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Replacing the carpet yourself is a freaking beating. Good Luck

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post
    Replacing the carpet yourself is a freaking beating. Good Luck
    I'm definitely going to have someone else do it. Just waiting until fishing season is over to have it done.

14. Member
    That's weird it wore out so fast?
    I have a 2011 Sabre and the carpet still looks new.
    It does however stay under a carportworh no cover.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    Just call BassCat and talk to parts. They can tell you exactly how much carpet you will need and order it for you.
    I tried that and it didn't work. Told him to give me a guess and i'll round it up from there and he didn't have an answer. Very helpful if you know what you need though.

16. Member
    After finishing mine i would say the hours put into it were worth it and didn't take as long as i thought.

4 hours to remove everything from boat that was attached to carpet (hatches, hinges, graphs etc.)
    10 hours to remove all adhesive and old carpet from decks and bunks (extra strength goof off)
    3 hours to cut and glue carpet on front and back decks
    8 hours to carpet the hatches.
    10 hours to install all the hatches, hinges and latches.

Would have been a nice winter project but for some dumb reason i started it end of April lol.

17. Member
    This may be wrong, but I've been told that with the cost of the carpet and labor it's about $1500 to have someone else that knows what they're doing do it. Well worth it for me if I dont have to spend 35-40 hours doing it myself.

18. Member
    That price sounds about right. After doing 4 boats, it's something that I don't mind doing, especially if it's in the dead of winter when I'm not fishing as much anyway. I haven't done the carpet in a Bass Cat yet, but I can tell that they are easier than most others, when it comes to the shapes of the deck and lids (very few goofy shapes and cuts). Having a good shop or big garage to work in is a huge factor for time required and the amount of a headache it will be.
    2015 Phoenix 819

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    That price sounds about right. After doing 4 boats, it's something that I don't mind doing, especially if it's in the dead of winter when I'm not fishing as much anyway. I haven't done the carpet in a Bass Cat yet, but I can tell that they are easier than most others, when it comes to the shapes of the deck and lids (very few goofy shapes and cuts). Having a good shop or big garage to work in is a huge factor for time required and the amount of a headache it will be.
    If I had said big garage I probably would try and tackle it myself just for the learning experience, but I do not have one of those at the moment.

20. Member
    Carefull of the new sea deck that everyone seems to like so well. It gets hot! My buddy's partybarge has it. It's easy to clean but you cant walk on it in the sun in bear feet unless you keep it wet. He is going to carpet his new Bennington this winter. I'm sure someone has a cooler product out there. But beware.