Thread: Pontoon speed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Covered, (skinned), the bottom of the floor between the toons to make it smooth instead of having a crossmember every 2 feet for the water to catch.

Attached Images Attached Images
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

2. Member
    Pretty cool. How long did it take you to do it and did you have to pull the carpet up?
    2021 caymas cx21

3. Banned
    It is nothing to do with the topside. You put aluminum sheets to.cover the bottom side of the crossmembers.under the deck. You can put them.on.with self tapping sheet metal screws but many river the sheets to the crossmembers. It.provides a much smoither, quieter ride and sometimes gives you 1-2 mph. But it.is.well worth the effort.

4. Member
    I used 4x8 sheets of fiberglass wall board from Lowe's and a couple boxes of self tapping sheet metal screws.
    By using screws, you will be able to easily remove a panel/panels if ever needed, which I doubt.
    Start at the back so the overlap will be in the right direction, (I used cardboard to make a pattern/template to go around the engine pod).
    Work your way to the front, overlapping each section at least an inch.
    It takes awhile but should be done in a day's time! Also a helper would be nice to have as I didn't have one!
    It's the very best mod you can do to a twin toon, esp. if you're in rough water and the benefits will be noticeable immediately!!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFBOY View Post
    What do you mean by underpinned?

Dag, that looks good.
    Last edited by drake322; 07-13-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

6. Member
    Looks good
    Last edited by 200721i; 07-25-2018 at 08:40 PM.

22.5" Southbay pontoon with a 115 Honda will hit 26-27 at 5900 RPMs with two people. 23-24 with 4-6 people. The bottom is completely skinned in aluminum bow to stern. I'm going up one prop size soon because it's usually only the two of us and the dogs, or another couple. Thinking of going to a SS prop, but not sure if I should step up a pitch if I do that. Advise would be appreciated.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickBullet View Post
    I used 4x8 sheets of fiberglass wall board from Lowe's and a couple boxes of self tapping sheet metal screws.
    By using screws, you will be able to easily remove a panel/panels if ever needed, which I doubt.
    Start at the back so the overlap will be in the right direction, (I used cardboard to make a pattern/template to go around the engine pod).
    Work your way to the front, overlapping each section at least an inch.
    It takes awhile but should be done in a day's time! Also a helper would be nice to have as I didn't have one!
    It's the very best mod you can do to a twin toon, esp. if you're in rough water and the benefits will be noticeable immediately!!!!
    I like that im going to look into doing mine like this do you have a pic of how you did around the where the motor skid plate or whatever you call it is??

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    I like that im going to look into doing mine like this do you have a pic of how you did around the where the motor skid plate or whatever you call it is??
    Sorry but I don't. Just work each side of the rear separate then proceed forward so your overlaps will be in the right direction.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    22.5" Southbay pontoon with a 115 Honda will hit 26-27 at 5900 RPMs with two people. 23-24 with 4-6 people. The bottom is completely skinned in aluminum bow to stern. I'm going up one prop size soon because it's usually only the two of us and the dogs, or another couple. Thinking of going to a SS prop, but not sure if I should step up a pitch if I do that. Advise would be appreciated.
    Changing props would not be worth the additional cost. You are about max 'd out already.

11. Member
    you lucky you got that

12. Member
    I have a 22' G3 pontoon with F115. Has lifting strakes and under pinning. After several years of running the SS stock prop (lots of slip) that came on the boat (Average speed 18 mph) i purchased an aluminum cheap prop with more pitch. This brought my rpm's down and allowed me to get WOT which increased my speed to 24-25 mph. last year I noticed i had water in one of my logs and after draining my speed increased to 30 mph with 2 people. i'm guessing i have had some water in the log for a while.
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

2016 South Bay 23’ pontoon with a Honda 115. Top GPS speed with an average load, two people and a 3/4 tank of fuel is around 23-24. I have a neighbor that has a Bentley with a 90 Yamaha. He’s told me his top speed was around 20-21.
    Southbay pontoons come aluminum skinned on the bottom. It helps on a pontoon boat. My next boat will be a tri-toon.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    I have a Sweetwater 2086 20’ footer with a 90 Evinrude Etec it will run 24 gps but did just go up in pitch so should pick up a little more maybe 26-28
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

15. Banned
    You can put sheets of aluminum between the toons front to back to prohibit the water flow from hitting the crosspieces under the deck. It makes them run smoother, quieter and a little faster--worth the small investment.

Many tritoons come standard with the underpinning.

16. Member
    I get 22-25 mph with two people on my 20 footer with a 90hp yamaha. Its a suncatcher G3. Stock prop on it (not even sure what it is as I don't really care about the performance of the boat, its just to take the family out on the water to swim and go to the swim beach). But you don't seem far off at all in my opinion.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    My 22 ft Harris with a 50hp mercury can get up to 21 mph on gps.
    That's bs!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    You can put sheets of aluminum between the toons front to back to prohibit the water flow from hitting the crosspieces under the deck. It makes them run smoother, quieter and a little faster--worth the small investment.

Many tritoons come standard with the underpinning.
    READ the original post!

Quote Originally Posted by kybassing View Post
    I just traded a 2007 22ft Bennington with a 2007 115 yamaha four stroke and 22 MPH was all i could get with two people if I had a load it was more like 16 to 18 MPH.
    What pitch prop and RPM range do you have. we have a 2018 22 with the same motor and getting 27 gps with a lite load. We do have lifting strakes though.

My buddy has a new Bennington 23 foot with lifting stakes and performance package. Honda 175 get him 42 mph with the top down. It’s underpinned also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast