Ruger 10/22 for my son....

He loves big African cats so I decided to surprise him with this for the fall. He is 7 and we will mostly be target shooting and some squirrel hunting.

Any recommendations for a good scope? Thanks!!

That is very cool! Lots of good optics out there these days. I have Nikon on most of my rifles, but Vortex, Burris, Leupold, and others would be good choices as well. I would look for something in the 3-9x40 range for a hunting/plinking rimfire. Should be able to find a good one in the $125-$150 range.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Thanks Aaron. I have a bunch of centerfire rifles with Vortex scopes and they have been great. I guess there is no real difference in a scope for a rimfire vs centerfire? Never had a rimfire before.

With all the caliber specific and rimfire specific advertisements, I guess that is all marketing.

Bryan

4. Member
    Good for your kid! Run him through the NRA kids safety course for an added measure of protection.
    Another scope option is mounting a pistol EER scope forward in the 'scout' style. Very fast handling and you can see what else is off to the sides. Some people really like that option.

Thanks - will have to do that safety course!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Good for your kid! Run him through the NRA kids safety course for an added measure of protection.
    Another scope option is mounting a pistol EER scope forward in the 'scout' style. Very fast handling and you can see what else is off to the sides. Some people really like that option.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    Thanks Aaron. I have a bunch of centerfire rifles with Vortex scopes and they have been great. I guess there is no real difference in a scope for a rimfire vs centerfire? Never had a rimfire before.

With all the caliber specific and rimfire specific advertisements, I guess that is all marketing.

Bryan
    Most rimfire scopes are set for 50 yard paralax. Most centerfire rifles are set at 100 or more. I have used large rifle scopes on rimfire rifles and not had a problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Most rimfire scopes are set for 50 yard paralax. Most centerfire rifles are set at 100 or more. I have used large rifle scopes on rimfire rifles and not had a problem though.
    I also think some rimfire scopes have 1/2 minute adjustment in stead of 1/4 as well.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I have Nikon on most of My Rifles ..

9. Banned
    I prefer a lower powered scope on a .22 than a 3-9x40, as shots are generally under 50yds.
    I put a ton of 1.5-4.5x32 and 2-7x32 on .22 rifles when I was doing gun work.

Sweet stock.
    A Nikon rimfire scope is what we put on my son's, after he was proficient with the iron sights. Good times ahead.

11. Member
    For plinking and hunting, I'd put a decent 4X on top. No need for the extra weight that you normally get with a variable centerfire scope in addition to the issues mentioned above. I shot a crapload of bunnies with a $5 rimfire scope but there were a number of times they got away cause I just couldn't see 'em well enough due to lousy optics.

I just put a Nikon prostaff rimfire 3x9x40 BDC150 on my SW AR 15 -22. Got it for 103.00 at dunams after there 20% discount. Shot with it yesterday must say it is a very crisp bright scope in a dark shooting enviroment.
    Bassboatseats.com your one stop seat & carpet
    replacement headquarters
    http://www.bassboatseats.com

13. Member
    capes, that is probably the coolest 10/22 I have ever seen! Very impressive art work. I do some freelance work for Nikon so there probably isn't a Nikon scope, bio, rangefinder or spotter I have not used at one time or another. I would suggest you look at Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR scope. This scope has parallax adjustment for whatever distance you choose to shoot. The PROSTAFF glass will be very clear and the fine focus eye piece will make sure your targets are always crisp. All for under $190. This scope has 1/4 inch adjustment's per click at 50 yards too. Check out this site's Sponsor's to see if any can hook you up! Drop me a note if you have any question's. Just in case you were thinking of something more compact, Nikon's P-Rimfire 2-7 x32 will fill the bill.