Power poles or electronics

Just got new to me 2010 Triton 20' XS, it has HDS7 and HDS5 on it that i think are first generation. No touch screen.
    Trying to decide between power poles or new electronics. I haven't fished since the early 80s and things have change a lot, so I am having to learn the new stuff!!!

Thanks
    Chuck

2. Member
    I would do Talons/Power Poles. It's nice to stay at a spot without drifting off. You already have electronics.

3. Member
    I second the poles. I decided on top of the line graphs instead of poles when I got my boat a few years ago and while I love my graphs I find that each and every trip I wish I had powerpoles because I would use them.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

4. Member
    I think it depends on what type of fishing you do. If you ledge fish a lot the poles are not as helpful but having side scan is nice. I fished Okeechobee this year with a buddy who had poles on his boat and they were awesome! It was windy the week we were there and it would have been a real PIA if we would have been in my boat without poles.

You might think about getting a used HDS touch unit to upgrade one of the Gen 1s you have. If you shop around you can find them at a good price on occasion. Then you might still be able to get the poles or one pole. Try it for a year to see how much you use it and make a decision next year. Just a thought.

I always thought powerpoles were not very useful for the type of fishing I did - until that trip last year. I still don't own any but I have been looking at them since I got back.

5. Member
    BOTH! (It's only money....)

It'd be a really hard call for me.
    I found myself in a similar situation not that long ago although my ('new to me') boat had a single power pole when I bought it.

Right up front I couldn't stand the old electronics, which was a HDS7 Gen2 (non touch) and HDS8 Gen1 (with the push buttons). The HDS8 internal maps were HORRIBLE, and the chip was 3+ years old and not much better.

Moving to dual HDS Gen3's (plus the Point 1) made things work much MUCH better on the water. We don't worry about where we are on a new lake, if we're too shallow, or if we'll find our way back to where we started.

We have times we don't use the PP, like last weekend. But most of the time we'll use it, and most of the time I wish I had TWO not one.

So yeah... BOTH!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    Like stated above... depends on what type of water you're fishing. If don't fish shallow very often I'd get graphs. Then consider the Ultrex once you save up some coins. It's well worth it. That will be my next purchase!
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Another vote for it depending on what type of fishing you do. Poles/Talons mean nothing if you sitting over deep water.

8. Member
    These are all good points, maybe because I do fish shallow a lot, I'm more of go with the Talon/PP type of guy.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

9. Member
    B.Combs brought up something I had not thought about. For the money, an Ultrex would be a better option over poles. The weight difference and versatility of what the Ultrex can do would make it good for deep & shallow water fishing. It will hold you on a spot or allow you to run on autopilot following a track. If you swapped to Hummingbird graphs the Ultrex will interface with it too. So maybe the question should be, electronics, poles, or Ultrex.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info!!
    Forgot to mention that the boat came with the Ultrex trolling motor. I know this makes a difference in what advice everyone will give. I get tunnel vision sometimes!!! How does the Ultrex interface with Hummingbird?
    I do like to fish shallow but want to work on learning more about deeper fishing also. This is why I was looking at electronics over poles maybe.
    I like the idea of both the best and will eventually have both but I'm trying to decide which one first.
    Thanks

11. Member
    I am no expert on the Ultrex but you could go over to the Hummingbird forum and they could break it down better for you - but this is my understanding. If you have a Hummingbird graph and an Ultrex with I-Pilot Link you can control the Ultrex from your graph. Follow contour lines etc. I have never seen it in use but it sounds kinda neat. The Ultrex come in just an I-Pilot version and an I-Pilot Link version. You would have to see which model you already have. If I already had the Ultrex, like you do, I would not let that really make my decision on which graph to go with. There is a lot of nice stuff on the market from each manufacturer.

Since you already have the Ultrex I, personally, would look at an electronics upgrade. Plus, you can always sell your old electronics to help cover some of the cost. I was amazed at what my old HDS7 and LSS1 was worth when I upgraded and went to sell them. Selling my old stuff paid for one of my new graphs.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    I am no expert on the Ultrex but you could go over to the Hummingbird forum and they could break it down better for you - but this is my understanding. If you have a Hummingbird graph and an Ultrex with I-Pilot Link you can control the Ultrex from your graph. Follow contour lines etc. I have never seen it in use but it sounds kinda neat. The Ultrex come in just an I-Pilot version and an I-Pilot Link version. You would have to see which model you already have. If I already had the Ultrex, like you do, I would not let that really make my decision on which graph to go with. There is a lot of nice stuff on the market from each manufacturer.

Since you already have the Ultrex I, personally, would look at an electronics upgrade. Plus, you can always sell your old electronics to help cover some of the cost. I was amazed at what my old HDS7 and LSS1 was worth when I upgraded and went to sell them. Selling my old stuff paid for one of my new graphs.

I was under the impression that the ulterra and terrova should have similar features? Not much but I think those are cheaper than ultrex?

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Product/Spot-Lock/

13. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    The Ultrex has the advantage on being a cable drive system with the electric assist. Feels and works the same as normal cable systems but with the spot lock and other features.

If your ultrex has the Link feature you need compatible hummingbird units with lakemaster card.

14. Member
    Whoa there... if you already have the Ultrex then I'd put Humminbird's on that puppy and let er RIP!

The ability to work with the 'birds'... plus things like spot lock make it an incredible tool!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave