Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I could disconnect my alternator and run ALL my electronics and livewells for a entire tournament and still have power to start at the end of the day..........

2. Member
    Sounds like something is drawing power somewhere. This should be no issue alternator or not.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkgnrlfink View Post
    Sounds like something is drawing power somewhere. This should be no issue alternator or not.
    Finally somebody who gets it !!!!!!!!!

Many times I have run to a stretch 100 yds. long and caught fish all day.......Ran electronics and livewell ALL day......Never re-started the big motor for 7 hrs.......Big motor fired right back up. If your battery can't do that, then there IS something wrong with it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Finally somebody who gets it !!!!!!!!!

Many times I have run to a stretch 100 yds. long and caught fish all day.......Ran electronics and livewell ALL day......Never re-started the big motor for 7 hrs.......Big motor fired right back up. If your battery can't do that, then there IS something wrong with it.
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    It should recharge one battery just like a car alternator does so check the voltage at the battery and at the alternator when it's running to see how many volts it's putting out. Also check your belt to make sure it's not worn out and slipping. It could just be a lose or bad connection.
    It's an Alternator.

It is NOT a Battery Charger.

It's sole purpose is "to Maintain the fully charged state of ONE Properly Rated, Fully-Charged Cranking Battery".

You won't be able to just "swap" a later-style alternator into that engine, as it's belt, mounting and connections are different.

The alternator that is on the engine, when in GOOD condition, should have no trouble maintaining a GOOD, Properly-Rated (and fully-charged at beginning of outing) Battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12