Electric Smokers

How often do you put wood chips in the smoker thru the process?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Member
    Masterbuilt 30", about every 45 min. Love it Did ribs this weekend!

3. Banned
    45 minutes to an hour in my MES. They do make smoke trays that burn pellets, which eliminates the need to add chips, and gives you 6 to 7 hours continuous smoke. A-Maze-N tray and the Wedge is what they are called. I'm going to get one soon, likely the Wedge.

About once an hour for the first three. After that I usually forget. Did a couple corned beef flats this weekend and didn't use too much.

5. Banned
    About once per hour. Different meats require different times, as you want enough smoke--but not too much.

I'm still experimenting with my wood and times smoked. Not to satisfied with my Mastercraft so far.

I still like the taste of smoke that's from meet rendered directly onto hardwood coals--like in a U.D.S.--Ugly Damn Smoker.

I only add chips once after about 2 hours. If you don't have to open the door or vent the MES will hold smoke for a loooonnnggg time.

btw, anyone that is looking to pull the trigger Academy has the 40" on sale for fathers day http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mast...ldCatid=638908
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Thanks guys, I was close to the every hour mark but slacked off toward the end. Did a Boston butt and it turned out well. Used the rub somebody had posted on here.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Depends on how long it cooks. Almost all of the flavoring happens when the meat is cool, so the most important is at the beginning. I usually put in a mix of chips and chunks with some wet and a few dry to get the smoke going quickly.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Chips first hour and then only add coal as needed. smoke ring is very good. I use a mix of hickory and pecan or apple for pork and hickory or oak for beef.