Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend a prop

I have a 2014 Triton 21HP, with a 250 Mercury. Currently using a 25" Fury prop, and it runs good. But it's starting to get a few nicks, and I've read/heard that you can't work on the Fury props. I used to run Tempest Plus props on my old boat, and they were good too. Maybe a little slower. What's your recommendation for a new prop?

I would get Mark Croxton to fix what has been working.

I was about to post a very similar question
    I have the same boat same motor same prop
    What speeds are you getting out of yours?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

4. Member
    It's just a stainless steel prop why can't you work it?

5. Member
    The best was 79 with a full load, and a cold morning. During the hotter months, it will run around 75.

6. Member
    Can he work on a Fury? I was told by several reliable people that you can't work on Fury props.

7. Member
    He's worked on a bunch of peoples Fury props on here. How much has it slowed down in the cooler weather? 79 is about all it would ever get with a 25" prop.

8. Member
    I think some of the "slow down" is caused by the nicks in my prop. Hot weather has an effect on top end speed as well.

9. Member
    According to the Mercury website, the Fury is made of X7 Alloy. Alloy is defined as a mixture of metals, which tells me it isn't pure stainless steel. The Mercury mechanic at the local shop told me the prop couldn't be worked on. What kid of prop do you have?

10. Member
    No stainless is pure stainless steel it's all mixtures of different metals.

11. Member
    Okay, I agree. But the question was what kind of prop would you recommend other than a Fury?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    No stainless is pure stainless steel it's all mixtures of different metals.
    As far as mixtures I think you mean different alloys. There are also several types of stainless steels, martensitic, austenitic, ferritic and preciptation hardening.

Quote Originally Posted by soweganole78 View Post
    Okay, I agree. But the question was what kind of prop would you recommend other than a Fury?
    The best all around prop is a new 26 Tempest that is B&B'ed by Croxton. It has the best all around performance. My numbers are below. Don't waste your time on a used prop. I got this advice from several others and still had to do the trial & error approach. I have one and a second is on its way for a back up. Its expensive, but I spent so much time buying and selling props last year that it actually would have been a major cost savings if I just went this route in the beginning.

08 TR21Xhp 250 ProXs

2.5" below
    5900-6KRPM
    77mph light load
    75mph morning tourney load 2 people
    24psi at max speed
    one large plug 2 open
    good hole shot and handles well.

13. Member
    Thanks...good advice

14. Member
    My recommendation would be to repair the 25" fury which is faster on your boat than a 26" B&B tempest is on his boat and motor. You probably have a different lower unit on your 2014 motor than leo13 has on his 2008.

15. Member
    Fastest is not everything. I had a 27 Temp that was labbed & repitched which ran 80 on my boat. I sacrificed 3mph for many improvements. The fury has better stern lift which might be good for boats with a extra weight in the back like poles, big batteries etc. The Fury is not as fuel efficient and not as good in rough water. I tested a 25 and 26 Fury they do everything ok but nothing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    My recommendation would be to repair the 25" fury which is faster on your boat than a 26" B&B tempest is on his boat and motor. You probably have a different lower unit on your 2014 motor than leo13 has on his 2008.

16. Member
    What does "b&b'ed" mean?

What does "b&b'ed" mean?
    Balanced & Blueprinted

Blueprinted:
    assures the prop is as close to brand new specs as possible

Balanced:
    is like balancing a car tire so that it spins freely and smoothly

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

18. Member
    thanks...learned something new.

19. Member
    Balance and blueprinting.

Blueprinting is a term that means the dimension and tolerances for the geometry of a component. Not all prop shops and manufacturers are equal. When you send a prop out for repair it is returned to its original condition. When you have a good prop shop B&B a prop it is usually adjusted/modified to a higher standard then original. For example a new prop might have a tolerance for the pitch of +- .063" from blade to blade and balance within .25OZ. A custom shop might be able to improve those dims by 2-4 times.

What does "b&b'ed" mean?

20. Member
    So you should have a new prop blueprinted to get a better performance for your boat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast