Crappie recipes?

How do you like them cooked?

pan fried with a thin coating of flour, salt n pepper. keep it simple with this fish as they are really tasty anyway.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Deep fried.

4. Member
    blackened in an iron skillet

Fried in 375° peanut oil - dredge in egg/milk, then coat with a mixture of 1/2 bread crumbs and 1/2 cracker meal...salt and pepper to taste. Crisp and golden brown on the outside, firm and flakey inside.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I make a 50/50 mix of corn meal and flour. Throw in black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and whatever else I feel like at the time. I just toss them in the mix and either deep fry or (normally) bake in a 425* oven. Pan fried plain with a little butter and Italian seasoning is quick and easy. Saute some onions and bell peppers to put on top or heat up some picante sauce. Over jasmine rice it's very good.

Try a bit of fresh ground cumin seed in the mix or on the plain fish.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 06-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.

7. Member
    Mine have been mushy lately. What is the trick to preventing this?

8. Member
    Drain well and keep them cold as possible from the time of the catch to the time of dipping them in the grease....

Quote Originally Posted by wakeeater View Post
    Mine have been mushy lately. What is the trick to preventing this?
    Make sure your grease is hot enough.....375°. The temp gauges that they put into the fish fryers/ turkey fryers aren't worth the effort to throw in the trash. Get a better one.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

We do panko at the northern rally ... seasoned flour then into some egg wash with some siracha mixed in.. then into some panko that we add some garlic powder adobo and black pepper ... I drop a few small pieces of panko into a shallow pan with some olive oil and if the panko instantly bubbles I know my oil is hot and the fish will come out nice and crispy !

Wife makes us Crappie tacos with a watermelon salsa and chipotle mayo ... dam good !!

Dang you guys are making me hungry! I deep fry several different ways. Mostly like to keep it simple with salt, pepper, and flour because as stated above, crappies are awesome and I like to taste the fish.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat