DIY lifting Ring for 2017 Mercury 75/90/115 engine cost $2.02

I just raised my 2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS engine a couple of holes on my new Tracker 190TX. Some members wanted to know how I did it and what I used for a lifting ring.
    This post explains my DIY lifting ring. I did not want to pay $100s of dollars for a tool that I was only going to use once or twice so I made my own. Very simple when you realize all you need to do is LIFT.

How to make a lifting ring for a 2017 Mercury 75/90/115 hp 4 stroke engine.

The three lifting ring holes on the flywheel of the Mercury 75/90/115 engine are on 4” centers.

The three holes are for metric bolts: 10mm x 1.5 thread
    The engine weighs approximately 360 lbs.

Your lifting ring can be made out of almost any sort of scrap steel strong enough to hold approximately 400lbs. It could be a flat plate with 3 holes drilled in a triangle on 4” centers with some sort of lifting ring welded in the center of the triangle.

The metric 10mm 1.5 bolts need to be long enough to fit through the steel on the lifting ring, span the gap between the head of the large bolt holding the flywheel to the crank and thread into the flywheel holes at least 6 turns snugged slightly. The gap between the large flywheel bolt head and the flywheel is approximately Ύ”.

My metric bolts were 2.5cm long. They are NOT hardened bolts just regular strength mild steel bolts.

I made my lifting ring using one piece of 1.5”x Ό” flat stock approximately 5.5” long
    And 1 piece of T-channel steel from an old garage door track approximately 4.5” long.

1. Drill 2 slightly oversize holes in each end of the 1.5” x Ό” flat stock 4” on center.
    2. Cut off a small piece of steel on the end t-channel making a flat for the 3rd hole.
    3. Drill 1 slightly oversize hole in the flat on the end of the t-channel.
    4. Drill one hole in the t-channel center for the actual lifting ring.
    5. Securely weld the t-channel to the 1.5” flat stock so that the 3 holes are on 4” centers.

That’s it. I had everything I needed to make the lifter except for the 3 metric bolts hence the $2.02 cost. I suspect my lifting ring is strong enough to lift probably 1000 lbs.
    I will be posting another thread on how I safely raised the engine by myself with very little effort.
    Stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

2. Banned
    Thanks for posting. I started a thread asking about this after a search brought up nothing.

Only $2.02 plus the cost of a welder and some vocational training on how to use it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Joe:

While I must applaud your ingenuity, the puller you made is relying solely on the bolts and threads to support the engine. This is NOT how the factory lifting eye works, and the flywheel was not designed for this.

JMHO- the method used above is not something I would recommend, as there is a strong potential of damage to the product (and depending on the severity of damage to the product, there is also a potential of INJURY as well).

Read and/or proceed at your OWN risk!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor