Seasoning a Smoker

Taking delivery of my new smoker today. Been watching a bunch of YouTube videos to see what people do to season their smokers. While I've got my method down for the chamber, saw a couple of videos where people spray WD-40 on the outside while they are breaking their pits in. Never heard of this before. Anybody here do that? What's it supposed to do? Happy with the results?

2. Banned
    MES smokers recommend 3 hours on high with the last hour adding wood chips. Once you have that done, smoke on.

If you are going to use anything, I would go cooking oil for the wipedown inside, but I fail to see what WD on the outside would do. Seems like a waste, because eventually it is going to burn off. I know people repaint the outside of some smokers after a while, but they use high temp paint for a longer lasting finish.

3. Member
    Not that I had any plans on actually doing this, but I did ask my pit maker about this. He jokingly threatened to take the pit back if I went thru with it.

As for the chamber, I'll spray it down with Pam pretty heavily then run a fire thru it. Will probably do that twice before any food actually goes on. Start working on it tomorrow and looking forward to it.

4. Member
    What kind of smoker 1st off?

if it's a pellet version...........Don't to ANYTHING.....heat it up to 350.....burn it in for about 30 minutes. Increase to 450-500 and for another 30 minutes. then cool it back down to about 225 and let it smoke for about an hour. You will be very happy with results.

Cooking oil is OK but it can take away from the smoke flavor a bit for the 1st few cycles. Once it get "Seasoned in" by the smoke, you won't need anything inside.

Stay away from PAM or any cooking sprays...the additives in them tend to not help inside ovens or smokers very well. Plus once it's "Caked" on there, it's a PITA to get it to come off. Have you had to spray PAM inside the oven at home? Why do it on inside of that?

WD-40 used to be an older way of keeping the paint on outside for a bit longer, but later ppl found out that it really didn't help anything with higher temp cooks. The high temp coatings they use now a days are a lot better IMO. Not so much better on some of the lesser models, but sometimes comes with territory.

NOW......what I do know is some have used smoke pork belly to help season them in as well. I think it is much harder to season in stainless than it is black metal, but that is JMO of coarse.

Yes I did the burn in on my RecTec on 400 for an hour is what they recommend. Then I put a pound of bacon on to cook at 350 and "seasoned it".
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    Taking delivery of my new smoker today. Been watching a bunch of YouTube videos to see what people do to season their smokers. While I've got my method down for the chamber, saw a couple of videos where people spray WD-40 on the outside while they are breaking their pits in. Never heard of this before. Anybody here do that? What's it supposed to do? Happy with the results?
    Lets see i a pic of your smoker??is it a reverse smoke??

7. kenny@bunchmarine
    Please please please don't use PAM. Cooking oil is my preferred method. Have done multiple smokers this way with GREAT success. I've also used pork belly with the cooking oil as well. As RD said the more you smoke the more it seasons itself.

8. Member
    Here is how a Lang is seasoned.

I used PAM on my Lang 84 Deluxe, but any cooking oil will work.

First Time Seasoning – Season your smoker/cooker with this easy process.

1. Spray the cooking area with vegetable oil or PAM.
    2. Spray all the surfaces inside the cooker/smoker, grates, walls and doors.
    3. Fire up your smoker/cooker (see steps 2 and 3).
    4. Pre-cook by letting the oil sizzle and sear.
    5. Pre-cook for 35 to 45 minutes or a bit longer.
    6. When finished, spray with a water mist as described in step 4.

Curt