Verado 300 engine shutting down

I have a 2009 Verado 300 hp engine on my bass boat that has very low hours and has operated flawlessly. Just recently after starting and getting on plane for a minute it all of a sudden shuts down. I can re-start it and get back on plane and it will shut down again. Then after re-starting it will run fine. Anyone have any ideas on what may be happening?
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. Member
    First thing I would recommend is having your dealer look at the faults on the computer, it will prob give a indication of whats going on.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

What boat is this engine on (and does it have KEY or PUSHBUTTON Start)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I have a Ranger Z522 and am happy to report that after getting to use my boat everyday on vacation last week that the problem with the engine shutting down has not happened again. In fact after the first couple of days the engine ran flawlessly. It has the push pad starting on it that doesn't require a key to start. On my way home from vacation I was able to finally find some non-ethanol 93 octane gasoline (also added Quick Kleen and Marine 360 Stabil) so I should be good to go for a while. Thanks to all that posted for your help.
    Brian

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you are turning the circuit breakers "ON" when you get in the boat to head out. Commonly see that missed- and the module will power down on it's own with that switch in the "off" position on most rigs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks EuropeanAM. Come to think of it Ibelieve this was the reason that the engine kept shutting down. I dropped my son off at a public launch so he could run uo to my friend's dock and it shut down on him 3 different times. The next day it did the same and afterwards while troubleshooting we discovered that the breaker had not been turned on. I'm thinking after we turned the breaker on we never had any trouble with the engine shutting down.
    I guess that's what happens when you don't have the opportunity to use it enough to become familiar with how everything operates. This is after all a somewhat new to me boat.
    Thanks again and hopefully I won't have this problem again!

7. Member
    Hey guys, sorry what is this breaker you talk about? ..is it a breaker on the motor? (As you can see I am reading as many topics you guys posted on about the verado...pardon my novice inquiries but I like to learn every in and out of stuff i own..or about to anyways)

8. Member
    Breaker is in the one that was installed by the dealer in the bilge area of the boat.

9. Member
    Correction - It should be manufacturer instead of dealer in the above post for who installed the breaker.