Battery Configuration

So I've read countless threads on batteries and their applications and feel like I still have lots of questions. My new Lund 2075 Pro V Bass came with 3 Group 31 Mercury Lead Acid batteries for the 36V Trolling motor. The boat also came equipped with a Dual Pro Sportsman 4 bank charger and an Interstate Group 24 cranking Battery. I'm looking to upgrade the cranking/accessory battery as I've recently installed two new Humminbird Helix 10's and was informed that the group 24 wouldn't cut it. I think I'm going to stick with a single battery for cranking/accessories but not quite sure which one to go with. The following are 3 batteries that I am looking at. The batteries are listed from least expensive to most expensive;

EverStart Maxx Premium Deep Cycle - Lead Acid
    - 800 MCA
    - 650 CCA
    - 185 minutes Reserve
    - 105 A.H.

Magnacharge 31DC-205 - Lead Acid
    - 1100 MCA
    - 205 minutes Reserve
    - 120 A.H.

Motomaster Nautilus Ultra AGM
    - 1000 MCA
    - 200 minutes Reserve
    - 105 A.H.

Do any of these look like a good option? Are deep cycle batteries OK to use for cranking? Is AGM worth the extra $$?

Thanks for the Help!

2. Member

3. Member
    Unfortunately we don't have a Sam's Club here in Canada. The ones I listed are available local to me.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Need to know what outboard you have to answer with specifics.

I don't have any experience with Canadian suppliers, but I'd be very careful that any RC claims say 25A rather than 23. Deka likes to measure RC 23A to make their numbers seem bigger. You probably want a 29 or 31 size and more than 200 RC.

Ignore MCA. It's a made up number that isn't measured, but calculated from CCA. Usually around 1.4 times CCA with a fudge factor applied to make the number look good. It's about the same thing as a car maker publishing "Downhill Miles per Gallon". CCA is a standard and is actually measured. MCA is entirely a marketing term.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Need to know what outboard you have to answer with specifics.

I don't have any experience with Canadian suppliers, but I'd be very careful that any RC claims say 25A rather than 23. Deka likes to measure RC 23A to make their numbers seem bigger. You probably want a 29 or 31 size and more than 200 RC.

Ignore MCA. It's a made up number that isn't measured, but calculated from CCA. Usually around 1.4 times CCA with a fudge factor applied to make the number look good. It's about the same thing as a car maker publishing "Downhill Miles per Gallon". CCA is a standard and is actually measured. MCA is entirely a marketing term.
    Engine is a 250 Opti.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    Engine is a 250 Opti.
    Absolute minimum 800CCA. 1000 is better. A 31 series AGM is really your only option for bass fishing unless you are running for miles and miles regularly during the day.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Y

Absolute minimum 800CCA. 1000 is better. A 31 series AGM is really your only option for bass fishing unless you are running for miles and miles regularly during the day.
    Would the AGM in my list be ok? I looked everywhere and cannot find anything that shows the CCA rating for that battery only MCA.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    Would the AGM in my list be ok? I looked everywhere and cannot find anything that shows the CCA rating for that battery only MCA.
    Probably so, but I bet the battery itself will have CCA printed on it in the store.

Pretty sure that is the same battery as the Deka 8A31 and the Sam's Club Duracell
    Last edited by CatFan; 06-11-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    That AGM that you listed at Canadian Tire at 329 CAD is a rebadged Deka 8A31. At only 800 cca's, it's not a great choice for your Opti with your Birds, livewells running, etc. Best to have at least 1000 cca's as mentioned. If you don't mind spending more, their Nautilus Group 31 High Performance AGM at 479 CAD is a rebadged Northstar. It's one of the best AGM's and a very strong battery with 4 years of warranty. Your DP charger will work nicely with it too. Batteries are quite expensive here in Canada.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    That AGM that you listed at Canadian Tire at 329 CAD is a rebadged Deka 8A31. At only 800 cca's, it's not a great choice for your Opti with your Birds, livewells running, etc. Best to have at least 1000 cca's as mentioned. If you don't mind spending more, their Nautilus Group 31 High Performance AGM at 479 CAD is a rebadged Northstar. It's one of the best AGM's and a very strong battery with 4 years of warranty. Your DP charger will work nicely with it too. Batteries are quite expensive here in Canada.
    I did notice the high performance Nautilus and its steep price! I was hoping not to spend that much but looks like its my only option at this point. I did find this Optima Blue top on Amazon that seems decent but not quite like the more expensive nautilus... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00AAT...nDL&ref=plSrch

Is there somehwre else in Canada I should be looking at for batteries??

11. Member
    If you shop around, you can probably find that Northstar cheaper, but not by much.

If want an AGM, but don't want to spend 500 dollars for a Northstar, Deka has another option. Their 9A31 has 925 cca's, and 190 RC, which, although shy of the suggested 1000, should still give you good service for a few years. 290 CAD at Great Northern Battery in Hamilton, close to you.

If you are willing to use a wet commercial battery like many do, including me, then Deka makes a 1231 MF with 1000 cca's and 185 minutes. Great Northern Battery has a load of blemished 1231's, at 80 CAD. That's a crazy deal, when most of the Deka commercial batteries like that one are around 225 CAD at NAPA Canada. If I had to replace my commercial battery right now, I would be heading down for one of those. There are arguments for and against using the commercial/truck batteries in a bass boat, but twice now they have lasted at least three years in my boats.

In any case, Great Northern Battery carries most of the name brands at good prices, and they are not far from you. 905 549 4454.

Hope that helps. BTW, that Lund is a sweet rig.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    If you shop around, you can probably find that Northstar cheaper, but not by much.

If want an AGM, but don't want to spend 500 dollars for a Northstar, Deka has another option. Their 9A31 has 925 cca's, and 190 RC, which, although shy of the suggested 1000, should still give you good service for a few years. 290 CAD at Great Northern Battery in Hamilton, close to you.

If you are willing to use a wet commercial battery like many do, including me, then Deka makes a 1231 MF with 1000 cca's and 185 minutes. Great Northern Battery has a load of blemished 1231's, at 80 CAD. That's a crazy deal, when most of the Deka commercial batteries like that one are around 225 CAD at NAPA Canada. If I had to replace my commercial battery right now, I would be heading down for one of those. There are arguments for and against using the commercial/truck batteries in a bass boat, but twice now they have lasted at least three years in my boats.

In any case, Great Northern Battery carries most of the name brands at good prices, and they are not far from you. 905 549 4454.

Hope that helps. BTW, that Lund is a sweet rig.
    Thank you very much for your help. I ended up finding a dealer that sells Northstar batteries cheaper than the same Re-branded nautilus. First day out with the new boat and battery and I couldnt be happier!