Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Congratulations Rock. No one can compete with you in the DA area for sure
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right......once is enough!"

2. Member
    I think he just gets lucky when he fishes the DA area...............Congrats Roc!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    Wpc, sounds like it was address Saturday and the decision was made not to DQ. Don't know anything about the details of the decision, but curios to know the facts. I seen the pictures.
    From what I heard it was it was supposed to have been settled that morning with all people involved long before weigh in..what happened after that I don't know..

4. Member
    It is what it is. I just feel bad for those that did follow the rules and could have and should have placed higher.

5. Member
    And we wonder why tournament participation is down. Its a steep hill for the average guys. You have to compete with the Roc's and WPC's then compete with the rule breakers too. Then, when you see something going wrong or question someone's behavior you become the complainer and cry baby. No win situation. I think until they come up with defined boundaries that can easily be followed they should just let everyone go fishing wherever you want that everyone can get to. Not behind locked gates. Have the understanding that if you are asked to leave you leave, if you get a ticket you get a DQ. We fished a club tournament a few weeks ago and told the guy fishing with me if we could fish that point about 100 yds in the marsh we could each have 15 lbs easy. We ended up with 8 or so each. The next Saturday I went there midday with a chug bug and probably had 20lbs. That's how much difference it makes and its not fair to those that strictly follow the rules.

6. Member
    jcdogfish, you are spot on in my opinion. I still fish as many tournaments as I can and still love to do it, but I promise that there are people who view things defferently. Some people may think that it's ok to cast into the marsh as long as your boat doesn't enter while others may think they are breaking rules if their lure crosses that imaginary line. This is the exact reason why a lot of big tournaments are held out of Doiron's with boundries to keep us from going south of hwy 90. At least that way it's pretty clear cut if someone is "cheating" or not (i.e. fish in basket or whatever you traditionally hear about going on on a lake or reservoir, etc.) instead of did someone cast farther into a run out than someone else. The sad thing is that we have excellent fishing around here and the marsh offers some of the best at times, yet we can't access it. I like what you said about just go wherever as long as anyone else can go there too (as in not behind a locked gate). The problem then becomes that I've heard people say that some people fishing tournaments know the people running everyone else out of places and not running off their podna's. I say we should all gather up at least once a month at Bob's and have "no boundry" tournaments and hope they grow and grow and hope to get 200 plus boats. Then there will be way more of us enjoying our resource that the monies from our license fees, taxes on all our equipment etc. is supposed to be going towards than there will be those A-Holes telling everyone they own the place. I'm talking about an official $%& the crawford's and such tournament circuit to take back what is ours. Then, IF they in fact have the right to claim that water, they will gate it off and make those defined boundries that we need. If not, then we fish our waters and continue to support the Louisiana Sportsman's Coalition and hope that we continue to make strides there.

7. Member
    Only bad thing about a no boundaries tournament, is when someone wins it, if they had any other type of success, they will say he's been fishing private waters

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman7031 View Post
    Only bad thing about a no boundaries tournament, is when someone wins it, if they had any other type of success, they will say he's been fishing private waters
    Most of the stuff we fish is "private" we just aren't getting run out by the dickhead owner

20XDC / Promax

9. Member
    BStrick is correct. The bottom line is that there are many resources in the great swamp we call our local fishing waters, natural gas being one of them, and companies that make their living extracting such resources tapped into the environment many years ago. A lot of us on here (probably most of us) make our living working for such companies in one way or another. I don't know how it all went down way back when xyz oil and gas company discovered gas or oil in the basin and dug a canal to drill a well head and make huge profits from that drilling for years and years to come. And what I mean by that is I don't know who they found to be a legal land owner and paid money to be able to drill there. I would be willing to bet that in some cases, maybe in most cases, that the land in and around the Basin would've been considered "State Land" and maybe the big companies paid some sort of tax to the State to dig a canal and drill on it. After years and years of politicians and big companies cutting deals, and the everyday working man sportsmen not paying that close attention to what's being slid in under our noses, you end up where we are now. It would seem like to me that given what these companies, the crawford's and the duck lease guys are claiming they have the right to do, which is claim that pulic water that flows into "their" land whether or not they dug a canal straight off the freaking Intracoastal Waterway or not, is "private" an only they can access it, then the oil and gas companies in the Basin could essentially block us out of 95% of the canals they dug in the spillway also. Thank the goodness they don't do that there, but who's to say they won't? Bassman7031, I'm taliking about if I can take my boat from the intracoastal canal and go into the marsh around 70 mile like you can now with the water high, and you and everyone else can do the same, then game on and if a dickhead "owner" as BStrick says comes in there and tells me to leave I say no, if he tells you to leave you say no, and so on and so on and we all just keep fishing. Then we'll see if they really can do anything legally about it. I know that when the old Weekend BASS Series (I think it's ABA now)was coming down here we asked the tournamet director about the "marsh situation" (the director was Porter Trimble at the time) and he said if you can access the water and everyone else in the tournament can also access the water (i.e. not locking a gate behind you) then it's fair game, BUT IF YOU GET A TICKET YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, PERIOD. That year the two day "super tournament" or whatever they called it was held out of Doiron's with no boundries in September and the guy that won it was from Houma, fished in the marsh somewhere and had more weight just on the first day than most of us had in two days combined and blew the thing away. He didn't get any ticket and as far as I know wasn't asked to leave by anyone during the event, he was just on a pile of 4 pounders in the marsh at a time of year where 11 pounds a day in the Basin was really good. We couldn't compete with that because most of us were used to fishing by other tournament rules that puts the marsh off limits and in most cases won't even let us go south of hwy 90 for that reason. So what's a guy to do? Bottom line is that it goes back to what originally got me to chime in here, which is what jcdogfish posted when he said "I think until they come up with defined boundaries that can easily be followed they should just let everyone go fishing wherever you want that everyone can get to. Not behind locked gates. Have the understanding that if you are asked to leave you leave, if you get a ticket you get a DQ." Sorry for such a long post, I think we should all get together, fry some fish caught out "Crawford's" canal or somewhere like that, drink beer and discus these matters, they are very important to us.
    Last edited by tmayon; 06-24-2017 at 07:04 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90xpress View Post
    so at that point, how do you stop it if the proof is there and yet they still don't DQ?
    Easy. Stop fishing that tournament and suggest others do the same. The rules are only as good as the tournament director upholding them. If he won't do so, why give him your money?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmayon View Post
    BStrick is correct. The bottom line is that there are many resources in the great swamp we call our local fishing waters, natural gas being one of them, and companies that make their living extracting such resources tapped into the environment many years ago. A lot of us on here (probably most of us) make our living working for such companies in one way or another. I don't know how it all went down way back when xyz oil and gas company discovered gas or oil in the basin and dug a canal to drill a well head and make huge profits from that drilling for years and years to come. And what I mean by that is I don't know who they found to be a legal land owner and paid money to be able to drill there. I would be willing to bet that in some cases, maybe in most cases, that the land in and around the Basin would've been considered "State Land" and maybe the big companies paid some sort of tax to the State to dig a canal and drill on it. After years and years of politicians and big companies cutting deals, and the everyday working man sportsmen not paying that close attention to what's being slid in under our noses, you end up where we are now. It would seem like to me that given what these companies, the crawford's and the duck lease guys are claiming they have the right to do, which is claim that pulic water that flows into "their" land whether or not they dug a canal straight off the freaking Intracoastal Waterway or not, is "private" an only they can access it, then the oil and gas companies in the Basin could essentially block us out of 95% of the canals they dug in the spillway also. Thank the goodness they don't do that there, but who's to say they won't? Bassman7031, I'm taliking about if I can take my boat from the intracoastal canal and go into the marsh around 70 mile like you can now with the water high, and you and everyone else can do the same, then game on and if a dickhead "owner" as BStrick says comes in there and tells me to leave I say no, if he tells you to leave you say no, and so on and so on and we all just keep fishing. Then we'll see if they really can do anything legally about it. I know that when the old Weekend BASS Series (I think it's ABA now)was coming down here we asked the tournamet director about the "marsh situation" (the director was Porter Trimble at the time) and he said if you can access the water and everyone else in the tournament can also access the water (i.e. not locking a gate behind you) then it's fair game, BUT IF YOU GET A TICKET YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, PERIOD. That year the two day "super tournament" or whatever they called it was held out of Doiron's with no boundries in September and the guy that won it was from Houma, fished in the marsh somewhere and had more weight just on the first day than most of us had in two days combined and blew the thing away. He didn't get any ticket and as far as I know wasn't asked to leave by anyone during the event, he was just on a pile of 4 pounders in the marsh at a time of year where 11 pounds a day in the Basin was really good. We couldn't compete with that because most of us were used to fishing by other tournament rules that puts the marsh off limits and in most cases won't even let us go south of hwy 90 for that reason. So what's a guy to do? Bottom line is that it goes back to what originally got me to chime in here, which is what jcdogfish posted when he said "I think until they come up with defined boundaries that can easily be followed they should just let everyone go fishing wherever you want that everyone can get to. Not behind locked gates. Have the understanding that if you are asked to leave you leave, if you get a ticket you get a DQ." Sorry for such a long post, I think we should all get together, fry some fish caught out "Crawford's" canal or somewhere like that, drink beer and discus these matters, they are very important to us.
    Amen! I like beer

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Easy. Stop fishing that tournament and suggest others do the same. The rules are only as good as the tournament director upholding them. If he won't do so, why give him your money?
    agree...100%. Everyone knows the rules.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Yep, that's it right there. It's a shame cause it was for a good cause,but I know a lot of boats not fishing it next year. I'll admit I'm one of them.

14. Member
    You know guys I made the decision not to DQ the guys Saturday and I stand behind my decisions not because I knew the guys but because in my opinion they did not do anything to break a rule there was not any signs in the whole area . The tournament was for a great cause and we were able to help the guy out . Plenty people contacted me after and said they had a great time . I will do another tournament next year to help out another CF patient. The only thing I will change in the rules or no surface drives , no unlocking a gate and if you get a trespassing ticket you will be disqualified .Basically same rules as the ABA which I used to fish and enjoyed until they changed there rules . I think that's the only way to stop the crying in Bayou Black tournaments .

15. Member
    Ron even if you make it no boundaries these cry babies will still cry and still not be able to catch 7#. Most of these guys have never won a tournament nor will they ever cum close. Marsh, ponds, canals, doesn't matter you still have to catch them.

I heard you used a crop duster to find that area you fished.

17. Member
    It's one thing to call someone a cry baby when everyone fishes by the same rules but this is not what this looks like. This post is interesting because a lot of interesting issues come up. Signs,no signs? Pictures? Proper protest? Known off limits marsh? All answered and still no dq. Very simply, you can't have a fair tournament when when you say stay out of private areas and don't dq when someone is caught there. Or when some fish areas most people know are off limits. If you think marsh or ponds vs cAnals don't matter. Why not have a tournament every month, 1k entry fee, winner take all. Everyone has to stay in defined public water in bayou black,but 1 boat can go wherever they want. I'm an old, crippled up never was, but if I'm that 1 boat tell me where to send the entry fee. The only reason there aren't more protest is the person protesting gets more bad press than the ones that were being protested.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    The only reason there aren't more protest is the person protesting gets more bad press than the ones that were being protested.
    BAM

19. Member
    If a man does not have the honor and integrity to do the right thing...he is not much of a man.

20. Member
    Hey Roc when and where is the next Louisiana Sportsman coalition meeting ? So we can all get together and start working on fixing the real problems of marsh running and trespassing . How or things gone with the coalition or we getting any where's ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast