Cool What Bass Cat should I buy?

I know this is an often asked and very loaded question. But I'd really like your input and opinion.

Fist off let me tell you about me and my fishing.
    Im a big guy 250...5'7"
    I Ran and owned a marina on lake ouachita from 85-94.
    Ive owned 3 bass boats, last being a 96 18.5 champion/175 merc. (Loved it but was cramped in cockpit).but none in the last 6 years.
    I have a 26ft Howard cat open bow now that has 607/830hp runs 85-95. (So I like speed and understand quality construction).
    Im moving to lake Lanier, going to live on the lake. The boat will live on a lift 90% of the time.
    I fish for fun, bass mostly. By myself and with fiends 3 sometimes. I love to night fish. I most likely will buy new or a very clean, 2 yr old.
    I plan to keep it forever as I do all my stuff.
    I want a great ride, safe, quality boat that is fast. That's why I'm here.

I like all the post and have looked endlessly at the lay outs. I find myself attracted to the caracal (don't understand the 225 thing)..but seem to like to read the post on the Eyra and how much owners like them.

How does one choose....lol...it's as bad as picking out a Harley!

thanks
    jet
    Last edited by Jetboy; 06-10-2017 at 06:42 PM.

2. Member
    I think the caracal would be a great choice but speed might not be there for you. My second choice would be a puma of couger. I am 6' 285 and have plenty of room in my puma and will run 75 all day full load. I will never buy anything other than bass cat as long as the service stays the same. There is no close second. Just my .02
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Caracal x 2!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Caracal X3 I'm in Benton of you want to crawl around mine.

5. Member
    Cougar ftd. Size and speed
    Paul

Mine! I am close by and it is listed in the BBC boats for sale section!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Selection is the key to the bigger 225 and up rated Bass Cats. Pick what fits you is why there are many, which has a lot of reasons.

Our dealers compete with multiple brands in one location and they have been under one manufacturing umbrella for 4 to 5 years, then 2 years ago that umbrella grew to include now four brands again. Those are often all sold in one dealership offering all those brands models. Our dealers compete and have one brand with several options.

For traffic in the main area below the river forks or Lanier we would suggest the best riding rig, as a sunny day will always be busy. Not LOZ busy, though busy enough to need the best ride. This lends itself to buying a Jaguar if the goal is using it when the boats are all playing. If not then your size makes a decision and choosing between decks, floor plans, cockpit and ride are all factors in your equation.

Jaguar--It will be your last boat!!

9. Member
    Lynx with a 250 would be good imo. But as mentioned above a Jag would be really good.
    Last edited by Sports1; 06-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Lynx with a 250 would be good imo. But as mentioned above a Jag would be really good.
    This would be mine ^^^^^ but with 300

11. Member
    but to answer your OP it would be the Caracal because I like wide front decks.

Im 5'10" and 245lb range and the Cougar FTD fits me perfectly. Eyra is what i first thought about buying but too cramped for me my legs are too close to the console and im one of the ones that dont like the coffin lockers... All of them are great boats just find what fits you best from layout to speed to comfort.
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

13. Member
    Thanks so much guys and feel free to keep it up.
    I really need to get some BcB seat time I think. But any insight is so much help.. I'm sure I will pull the trigger with more outside opinions, help Than from experience in the boats. I just love the layout on the caracal. And think the width will be a plus.not sure I need to jump into the jag or lynx on my first BC. But understand that I would be in the cat knip if I did. I will be a cat owner soon.

Just curious as a cat.....How fast is the caracal designed for? 75? 80? Do y'all tell that stuff ? What is it's best atrabutes, and design goals? besides just width in the bow?
    I'm going to find a cougar to ride in. I have seen them change over the years.
    thanks again
    jet

14. Member
    Damn now y'all are making me think about a jag.or lynx ....ooh hell.
    but I do plan to stay above the forks most of the time and fish off weekend busy times mostly.
    Last edited by Jetboy; 06-11-2017 at 11:09 PM.

15. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    With the Caracal most will run in the low 70's. My dealer, Sherm of Sherm's Marine has run mine to a tick above 74mph, he can drive a boat like no other. I've only had it up to 70, but I don't mess with wide open running very often.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

16. Member

17. Member
    If money isn't an issue, and you want the speed, Jag or Lynx. You can put big motors on them and have the deck space and ride.
    If price is an issue, I would go with the Cougar. Mid 70's-80 mph boat. Still have a excellent riding machine and the leg room would be great also.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Mine! I am close by and it is listed in the BBC boats for sale section!

I have an 2007 PII - duel poles and I touch 70 GPS full load two guys and a full sized kind of guy, not one of the those saled eaters that make sure the doctors charts happy.

i love my PII - plenty big enough, but I will say the Carcal is appealing.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Member
    I would get a Caracal. I have owned narrow champions and now own a 196 , wide beam champ. A big difference in stability and fishing. Wider always better unless you want more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    I would get a Caracal. I have owned narrow champions and now own a 196 , wide beam champ. A big difference in stability and fishing. Wider always better unless you want more speed.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R