Thread: Stratos ASX

Stratos ASX

Does anyone have any information on how these hulls held up and any performance numbers? Does anyone on this board still own one? Thanks in advance.
    Bullet 21 XDC / 300 HPDI

2. Member
    smooth and fast. These hulls were crazy fast. With a 225 Evinrude I heard reports of low 80 mph. light load and high 70's loaded. They are the Stratos Unicorn boat. Very Rare and hard to find.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

3. Banned
    What he said... If you search you'll come across one every now and then... But you have to learn how to drive them... Dan

4. Member
    There was one for sale on Alabama Boat Trader page on Facebook. NE Alabama area.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

I wish I could find the article that was posted here in this forum about the ASX. It's been a few years since I read the article so I don't know if can remember the correct information but I will try my best. ASX stands for Alan Stinsion X project. He was a boat designer for Stratos. He was given the okay to build a limited edition boat that had one thing in mind ...speed. They were made of Kevlar instead of the traditional fiberglass. They were light and had a slightly narrow beam when compared to boats of similar length. The intention was to make 100 and if my memory is correct they only made 77. To say they were a flop would not be fully accurate but also if a person said they were a big success that would also not be accurate.

They had a lot of hype but they never really seemed to take off in sales after they hit the market. The biggest complaint was top end handling. The combination of the pad design and weight distribution made them prone to chine-walk more than a normal boat of similar size and horsepower. It was difficult for the average Joe to drive. A person who was seasoned at driving high speed on the pad could drive one to its full potential but the average Joe could not. This was in the day before 250 HP was common. With a stock 225 80 ish was possible IF you knew how to drive it. Reports of 90's with a hydro-tech Yamaha have been reported. If I found one and I liked it I would not hesitate to buy it but with that being said there is many other Stratos models I would prefer over the ASX (294/295,200 and 201). If speed was your thing and Stratos is the brand you want the Stratos 200 is capable of upper 70's with a 225 with everything dialed in. Plus they are easier to drive.

6. Member
    Thank you for the information. I am planning to repower with a 250proxs if I purchase. I have come across one for sale in great condition. That is the main reason I am considering it. I also like the idea of being able to cruise at what some other boats may be at full potential. If I could cruise at 65-70 or so and have the ability to run it up to 80's with a tourney load then I don't think I could ask anymore then that. I don't fish any big water that often where I am concerned. I have heard that they do handle rough water better than a bullet/Allison though.. I saw in some old posts that these were selling in the mid 40's all the way up to 50k when they first came out. That might have been the issue for the low sales volume. Now people would jump all over them for that price. Boat prices have went through roof in recent years.
    Bullet 21 XDC / 300 HPDI

Another interesting fact.....The boat had a propeller designed for it. They will have (ASX) stamped on the side. This propeller will later become the (TXP) by turbo. Designed by Mark Croxton. Mark said, "it was built for the ASX and only a handful of people could drive the damn thing."

I have heard it had a prop made just for the hull. I did not know it was a Mrak Croxten design that eventually became a TXP. That is interesting info.

9. Member
    Yep all above is true . They did had a few that had hull problems . That the hull was breaking free...or something of that natural . Todd Morgan had one .And they took it back and cut it up and buried it behide the plant . The new Evo has a like of the boat in it ,if you look very close at it . They had a small pad ,which made them kind of hard to drive . They was price high for that time frame and sell didnt take off .

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I have heard it had a prop made just for the hull. I did not know it was a Mrak Croxten design that eventually became a TXP. That is interesting info.
    Yes sir. It all hit me when I called mark and said, "I have a few questions about my txp and was hoping you could help me."

He said, "What do you want to know? I designed it." lol

11. Member
    He work for Precision Propeller for 26 yrs and was in charge of the racing propeller's at that time ,before he open his own shop behide his house ,to date .
    Yamaha own the compay now days