Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I buy for the long run on life not speed. Honda BF250

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    IF you run a Bullet, Allison, or Stroker, the Pro XS will be the only one with a lower unit that will hold up. The sportsmaster is far stronger than either of the other 2 lowers.
    Not positive but, is the Pro XS available with the Sportmaster? Seems like only the XS and Pro Sport XS is available with the Sporty.

3. Member
    The SHO and the G2 will cost you a couple thousand more than the Mercury.

4. Member
    250 pro XS $16,000. Sho 250 $18,000. G2 $25,000 good luck finding a Evinrude dealer near by who can service it !...

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    250 pro XS $16,000. Sho 250 $18,000. G2 $25,000 good luck finding a Evinrude dealer near by who can service it !...
    What is wrong with having the selling dealer service it for you?

6. Banned
    Insert motor you own as the best here_____________.
    Everyone knows my motor decisions are the best. No way would I let marketing and hearsay cloud my judgement.

7. Banned
    25k for a G2!!!! What makes a G2 worth so much more than a Pro XS?

Those weren't near the prices my dealer gave me. Pro XS $16,000, Sho $18,000, G2 $18,500 was what I was offered.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Those weren't near the prices my dealer gave me. Pro XS $16,000, Sho $18,000, G2 $18,500 was what I was offered.
    Thats much better.

10. Member
    Where did you have your motor swapped out at?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    a better question is what do your local dealers sell and support?? all motor are very good now days
    100%

12. Member

I think the 25K G2 is the one with the power steering and auto trim. The one with just regular hydraulic steering is not much more than a SHO from my understanding.

13. Member
    Pro XS $16,000, Sho $18,000, G2 $18,500 was what I was offered.
    That sounds about right imo for the G2 without the all the bells and whistles.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    IF you run a Bullet, Allison, or Stroker, the Pro XS will be the only one with a lower unit that will hold up. The sportsmaster is far stronger than either of the other 2 lowers.
    Not true. I have a 21xd bullet with a flashed 200 SHO. I have 364 hours on my SHO with the stock lower unit. I haven't had any issues. I've run 90 mph. I've run 87 fully loaded for close to an hour. I have never put a wrench on my motor other than to change oil in motor and lower unit.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPC3 View Post
    Not true. I have a 21xd bullet with a flashed 200 SHO. I have 364 hours on my SHO with the stock lower unit. I haven't had any issues. I've run 90 mph. I've run 87 fully loaded for close to an hour. I have never put a wrench on my motor other than to change oil in motor and lower unit.

Keep them fingers crossed.

Sorry couldn't resist.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
    Keep them fingers crossed.

Sorry couldn't resist.
    LMAO coming from a guy running an Evinrude. Pot meet kettle

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    2-stroke is usually always a better fit for lightweight hull especially when things get rough.
    4S is overhyped for bass boat applications, well marketed and dealers throw them on because that's what the people want.

I might get a SHO if I was putting more 1,500 hours on and didn't have the cash to get another motor after those 1,500 hours. SHO does help your resale, but that pretty much were the advantages stop for bass boats. They might be a good fit if you idle a lot, like more than 60-70%....but new 2S is also getting better at this with direct oiling. With idling a lot with 2S plugs may foul and with 4S fuel tends to seep into Crankcase...pick your poison.

Any of those motors will work, but only 1 choice for me.
    I absolutely don't mean this as an insult but you have really never ran, ridden in front of, or been around a SHO have you haha. "Dealers slap them on because that's what people want" Well people want them for a reason haha. I've owned one and been in lots of pro xs and have owned 2 SHOs. I currently run a 920 with a SHO. I have never ran a G2 but have heard some good things. My buddy fished the All American which as we all know they run identical rangers with G2s and Pro xs. He said the Mercs were all faster but I wasn't there and all I know about them is they either look really good or absolutely horrible depending on the boat it's on. They are all good motors in my opinion. As far as the SHO not being practical for bass boat use, the only major difference in the pro xs and the sho is the absence of 2 stroke oil and noise. SHO is same speed as pro xs + or - a mph on certain hulls but it carries a load better and has a better holeshot, will not last 1500 hours and will blow much earlier than that just like the 2 strokes (I'll be scared at 500 If my powerhead makes it that far), weight is almost identical. SHO is actually 86lbs lighter than the HPDI that it replaced. SHOs are not better for Idling, they are actually opposite. Best way to run a SHO is hard so that no gas passes the rings. Lots of idling can lead to the motor making oil. Not a terrible issue but you will have to change it if this happens. This can be pretty much completely avoided with a good solid break in. My 920 runs 76mph heavy loaded with Powerpoles and 2 people in normal tournament season and 74mph under same conditions in the heat of summer. That's solid numbers that some guys in the same boat with a merc can't hit. Some can beat it but will not touch the 0-50 acceleration of the SHO. I swear the 920/SHO combo makes the trim feel like a NOS button haha. At the end of the day, I wouldn't mind owning any of the 3 but my personal preference ranks 1. SHO, 2. Pro XS, 3. G2

G2 may be the best motor made but I just can't get past the ugly!!!!

19. Member
    I've ridden in dozens of Shos, G2's and Pro XS's and the G2's have the better hole shot with the Sho a distant 2nd. I've yet to be impressed with the Sho other than the looks of it. Last week the River was running 169,000 cfs and the G2's running up the river against the current were running off and leaving the other 2 brands. Wasn't even close. David Walker was running 70-71 upstream and 74-76 downstream with his G2. (Ranger z520) The Shos I rode in couldn't get above 68 (Skeeter, Phoenix) going up stream and only peaked out at 72.2 coming back down.......The last 2 elite tournaments I've been to the talk between the pros was about the G2s performance and numbers.
    I have to chime in on this one to, sorry can't resist. Regardless of motor there is no way a phoenix topped out at 72 running down stream with dam turning 169,000 cfs. I have run 79mph in mine with a sho running down stream with 2 people on Lake Jordan, AL with only 60,000 CFS. How do you make that comparison when those guys are running different loads, different props, different boats. No way all the g2s walked off from all the other 2 brands. You saying that a ranger 521/G2 was walking off from a basscat/SHO or phoenix/merc. There is no way. That motor is 1-2mph faster on certain hulls at best. And also I have yet to be outrun by a G2 in a BFL, ABA, or ABT event by a G2 so I don't think they are walking off from the competition. At Lay lake 2 weeks ago I ran right beside one for 6 or 7 miles on a phoenix 721 which is pretty much identical speed as my 920. I couldn't pass him and I tried, but I was right beside him the hole run. Don't get me wrong, I am not brand loyal to any outboard. I'd drop a sho and get a G2 on my next boat in a heartbeat if I ride in one and love it. But lets not make vast generalizations because they just aren't true. No way the G2 is 3-4mph faster on a ranger than pro xs and sho on a phoenix/skeeter.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishandfowl loco View Post
    G2 may be the best motor made but I just can't get past the ugly!!!!
    I thought that at first but the best looking boat I have ever seen had a G2 on it. They can look amazing when paired up right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast