Finding grass ... Watts Bar; Chick; Melton Hill; Dale or even Center Hill

In my 3 Summers of fishing some of these lakes, I only found grass flats on Chick, and once on Watts Bar, way up in the back of a slough. The Chick experience was similar to how I fish in Texas and learned how to fish in Wisconsin. It was modestly successful.

With all of the comments about the crowds on Chick, I am trying to find grass someplace else. Without any special spots, would anyone please direct me as to where I should look?

I spend summers here near Crossville, and Winters in Texas. Sure do love TN...but not for Winters. Ha Ha

2. Member
    Good luck finding grass on the hill. I have been fishing Centerhill since 1994 when I move here and have found only a few sprigs. I can go up the road 25 miles to Dale Hollow and there is grass everywhere. In late summer in 30ft of water you will have 25ft of grass.

3. Not Banned
    Sent a pm

4. Member
    Dale is loaded with coontail and cabbage pretty much over the entire lake anywhere there's gravel or clay. If you have not fished it much, concentrate mid lake from 1st Island to Trooper where the Wolf River joins the Obey.
    Some coontail and what we call "skunk" grass (it stinks) in Centerhill but spotty. Areas around the big island and entering falling water river have several spots. These are also on gravel and clay points and flats.

Stratos 21XL Magnum
    Mercury 250 Pro XB

5. Member
    Dale and Center Hill are the only lakes that I haven't been on yet. Is there any grass on Dale anywhere near the SW end (i.e. Midway)? That seems to be the closest to my location. I presume there is a launch on that end someplace.

Though, the Wolf River appears to only be 15 minutes further. Do I need a Kentucky license to fish that area?

thanks for all of the help.

I fish Dale a lot and their is plenty of grass up the Obey arm of Dale. Look for big gravel flats and rounds.
    Right out from Obey park has plenty of grass on that large flat. Find similar areas down the lake.
    Most grass will be in the 8 to 12 foot range.
    Lost of creek arms have it as well but I usually fish main lake flats in the summer.

7. Member
    Thanks, I see that Sunset Marina is right there. I've read that it is the closest launch to me.

Unfortunately, I am dealing with a possible new knee right now. So, I might have to put all of this helpful information away for a couple of months. We shall see.

thank you all for your help.

8. Member
    The grass at Dale Hollow seems to be in a lot more spots this year, I think the lower water level this winter had something to do it. There is grass in places, I've never seen it before.

9. Member
    How bout watts bar? Any areas to look for it you could share or pm. I'm coming down for a week soon.. thanks

Melton Hill had a lot of grass last year, with TVA dumping water out of Norris this year its been a little behind but it is coming along in places. Ft Loudoun has grass in areas, up river and down. Watts Bar is about the same.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    In my 3 Summers of fishing some of these lakes, I only found grass flats on Chick, and once on Watts Bar, way up in the back of a slough. The Chick experience was similar to how I fish in Texas and learned how to fish in Wisconsin. It was modestly successful.

With all of the comments about the crowds on Chick, I am trying to find grass someplace else. Without any special spots, would anyone please direct me as to where I should look?

I spend summers here near Crossville, and Winters in Texas. Sure do love TN...but not for Winters. Ha Ha
    My son and I just spent a week on Center Hill, we live in Magnolia so near you. I grew up near Center Hill in Alexandria, all of my family is still there. We did pretty good on Center Hill last week, jig was what the smallmouth were hitting. We had planned on fishing Dale Hollow one day also but never made it. I'd sure like to get out of Houston for the summer, better yet year round!

12. Member
    Thanks, but....I am heading back to HOUSTON Sunday. Need a new knee and my doctor is there. I will be back to TN. by mid-August.

Thanks, but....I am heading back to HOUSTON Sunday. Need a new knee and my doctor is there. I will be back to TN. by mid-August.
    Daughter just had ACL and meniscus surgery. Dr. Lowe did her surgery three weeks ago. Good luck, wish you a speedy recovery. I know a really good Dr. at Vanderbilt also.

14. Member
    Oh, my doctor back in Houston has been taking care of the family for 25 years. He, also, was the doc. for the Houston Oilers, back in the day. He did my other knee. I have total faith in him.

Great, Dr. Lowe does the Texans, UH, many others. Sounds like your guy is great also.

16. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    May our Lord bless your recovery.
    One more thing that will help...ULTREX