New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question Trim problem NOW....

91 fastrike GLEIS 150hp after replacing starter and getting ready for a tourney I went to put the transom saver on and hit the trim button and it moved extremely slow and sounded like I had a dead battery, thought I might have left something on so I put the charger on it but the battery was full. it is full of fluid and moves really slow and then sometimes on the way down is very jerky ,think the motor might be going out because I fished all day and had no problem starting the boat or running livewells and hds's so don't think it is a battery problem how can I check the motor?? also when watching the guage you can see it is not going up and down like it use too the guage is also kinda jerky in motion or eratic
    Last edited by twitch; 06-08-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Time for a trim motor.

3. Banned
    The only thing I can offer is since this happened after working on the starter and related wiring, is to check all connections and the cables themselves (since they're 26 years old) for the trim motor.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    just swapped batteries and it does the same thing so not a battery problem, I have my old motor from when I installed this one because I thought the motor was gone but what it was was the wires weree chaffed and shorting out on the bracket so guess i will install that and hope for the best ,but will check connections along the way also

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    91 fastrike GLEIS 150hp after replacing starter and getting ready for a tourney I went to put the transom saver on and hit the trim button and it moved extremely slow and sounded like I had a dead battery, thought I might have left something on so I put the charger on it but the battery was full. it is full of fluid and moves really slow and then sometimes on the way down is very jerky ,think the motor might be going out because I fished all day and had no problem starting the boat or running livewells and hds's so don't think it is a battery problem how can I check the motor?? also when watching the guage you can see it is not going up and down like it use too the guage is also kinda jerky in motion or eratic
    ^^^ Did you replace the starter, or the trim motor? Or both?

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I replaced the starter last week, the trim motor a couple years ago all connections look good and so now I'm going to replace it with the original that I had rebuilt and has been sitting in the cellar for a while

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I replaced the starter last week, the trim motor a couple years ago all connections look good and so now I'm going to replace it with the original that I had rebuilt and has been sitting in the cellar for a while
    You had less problems when you were working.

8. Banned
    Get 'er running; fishing should be great in MA right now!

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Fred, your starting to sound like my wife.....LOL but really not a problem, she hasn't hassled me at all in fact she told to to slow down with the repairs I've been doing around the house and take it easy. Been fishing and doing ok not getting rich but covering all my entry fee's for all my trails and opens and paying for repairs on the boat so good as far as I'm concerned no out of pocket yet

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Gotta bust on ya Al, You should have bought that ETEC before you retired then you would have more time for honey do's.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    should of bought a new Z521 and gotten the whole deal.... but then I wouldn't have anything to bug you about and be a PIA

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    should of bought a new Z521 and gotten the whole deal.... but then I wouldn't have anything to bug you about and be a PIA
    When I do finally retire it won't be just from work it will be from BBC also. No phone, no PC no nothing.

13. Member
    i bet your trim issue is from replacing the starter...something to do with the wiring in that area..

1996 STRATOS 278 V
    1996 Intruder 150 HP
    Model 150GLEDB Serial # 04148601
    1991 335195 Heads
    FICHT Reed Cages
    Chris Carson Carbon Fiber Reeds
    Large Bore Carbs
    Prop Mark Croxton A45 15" X 23 Tempest
    Props Owned/Tested: 23 Renegade, 23 Renegade B&B, 22 Raker, 24 Raker, 24 Raker B&B, 26 Raker, 26 Raker II, 24 Raker II, 23 Tempest, 24 Tempest, 24 Fury, 24 Trophy, 25 Renegade, 27 Renegade, 23 Razor 3.