Teaching a hook set

Trying to teach my 10 year old daughter to set the hook. Not having any luck she just wants to start reeling. Any technique to teach this off the water where I can really work with her?

2. Member
    Just get a really light hook, just reeling should work fine!
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Calebhstr View Post
    Trying to teach my 10 year old daughter to set the hook. Not having any luck she just wants to start reeling. Any technique to teach this off the water where I can really work with her?

See if she will try a sweeping hookset with her hips? That seems to be the only way I can get my 10 year son to set the hook. Like said above, I use very light wire hooks on his baits. Even with his slow 33, he does pretty good.

4. Member
    She's using a lews spinning rod with a lews reel. Watched her lose a 6lber and she was very frustrated. I'll try the sweeping method

5. Member
    When you get a bite, make her watch you set the hook and talk her through what you're doing. I think some of the issue with new fishermen/women is that they get so excited that they don't think straight. I noticed this with my brother in law (sister's husband), who is in his 30's so it could be different with your daughter. When he first started bass fishing, he'd set the hook the instant he felt a bite and it didn't matter what position he was in. He lost a lot of fish from setting the hook while out of position. I had to tell him to calm down, reel down to the fish, and then set the hook when he's in control. It helped him a lot.

A different experience I've had with this is teaching my other brother in law (wife's little brother) who is 15 years old. He's only been out with us once, and he also wanted to start reeling really fast when he got bit. He lost several fish, but towards the end of the day he seemed to start setting the hook better after watching how we handled it.

6. Member
    She says I jerk to hard �� Told me I'm gonna rip their lip off lol

7. Banned
    Whatever you do teach her the proper technique, A SNAP SET!

8. Member
    I wish I could help, I've been attempting to teach a grown man to set the hook with absolutely NO luck!!

Good luck! But I'm quite sure your 10yr old is probably easier to teach than a hard headed man. LOl

My daughter is 14 and still refuses to set the hook hard in fear it will hurt the fish. I tell her to set the hook and she sets it as though she's twitching a senko lol!

10. Member
    She's 10! Celebrate the victories. Make the experience one to remember. Do the stuff that makes her want to go again and again. Eventually, she'll get it. Remember, when you take a little one, make the commitment that you are gonna sacrifice your fishing time for them.

11. Member
    Tell her to jerk real hard and try to break the line for an early easy release. Also tell her if she doesnt break the line you will land and tail smack her with the fishes tail LMAO
    its up to you if you follow these moronic directions and i am not responsible if you get pushed overboard :)

How about trying circle hooks? Just reel until the rod loads up and lean into it. Surprisingly snag resistant, and excellent in rocks, because the point never gets bent over...the hook protects itself. But if you just yank, you'll never get a fish, so it can be difficult to change from a conventional hook to a circle hook & back again. They saved me when I had "Tennis Elbow".