Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin4bass View Post
    I have a 15' Z521C , I replaced the o ring and the gasket between the plate and hull and it still doesn't seal correctly. I still take on water. Bottom line is that some of these work on some of the hulls and others don't. I'm not overly happen with it and may go to a traditional screw in plug.
    Have you taken it back to the dealer? That boat, bow to stern, anything that was installed on it at time of purchase, is covered under warranty for 3 years.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    So on a side note why don't every other brand follow suit and install this assembly on their boats as well? I know Ranger is an industry first with incorporating this into their line up?
    I can't answer that as I'm not in the industry and have no idea what other boat manufacturers install on their boats. I installed my remote plug after the fact and did it myself. Flow-rite makes many products for boats, and I don't see why this product is any different than many others and not standard or at least an add-on option for many manufacturers and/or dealers. I have problems with my Flo-rite pump right now that I need to get a rebuild kit for. Seems boats take a lot more care and maintenance than most anything else I've every owned, including campers, but they are close. I like my remote plug, and I would guess that is mainly because it has worked fine for me so far. If it was eating "O" rings, and not holding water out of the boat, I would not sing it's praises as I'm the type of guy who enjoys products that work. If they don't I toss 'em and move on to something that will work. My buddy installed one on his boat same time I did, and he has not had one minutes trouble either. I'm sorry others like yourself have had issues. Not sure I can be of any help but I would if I could.

3. Member
    When I worked for the USN testing machinery, we found Neoprene "O" rings could not tolerate most oil, and we switched to Viton on our fuel oil burners. I suspect most of the plumbing "O" rings you see in the HDs and Lowes are Neoproene, as it's the cheapest and works well with water. Harbor Freight sells an "O" ring kit with green "O" rings, which are probably not Neoprene.

I suggest before going to Harbor Freight to purchase orings you contact with FlowRite. I emailed them and they are sending me 5 orings free of charge. They also sell the recommended oring lubricant which is MolyKote 55.

I have had my 2015 Z521c for 2 years without a minutes trouble on the remote drain plug so those 5 orings should last me quite a while.

For those of you who are having problems, contact FlowRite or Ranger. Both of them will step up to the plate and get the issues resolved.

5. Member
    exactly what I'm talking about, and some may think it's sealed but it's not completely seated properly, when you remove the plug there's water left in the hull still quite a bit and the remote plug is sealed by 2 Philips screws and a foam gasket no silicone. The T&H drain plug is less than 10.00 and the hole pattern is the same. The other issue is the thread where it connects at the open/close selector has a brass nut on a plastic thread which works loose causing slop in the operation and after you retighten it a few times it strips the threads, and this is only finger tight, the brass nut is covered by a round plastic sleeve, thanks for the feed back fishin4bass.

6. Member
    mine broke at the cable thread at the open/close selector . Ranger replaced it for my under warranty...its around 70$ dang

7. Member
    I think it's a great idea that could be executed better. I've not had issues but I'm not 100% confident in it either. To me it simply feels like it's not sealing properly, even though it probably is. ..
    2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

8. Member
    It's a great idea if they would revise the design and modify it, I may work on the one I have and modify it but until then good old screw in model from T&H is just a sense of security. I'm really glad to see a few others have the issues got pm from several members who asked about changing this to a conventional, cleaning and living all the time gets old just like putting a plug in a boat, the way I see it's a 50/50 crapshoot of which direction you want to go, and this is why we have BBC for discussion and helping each other and learning.

9. Member
    Most guys don't seat it correctly myself included when I first got mine. Turn it to close and when you think you have it closed turn a little more and you'll feel it seat(maybe a quarter inch more). Ranger Rodney showed me this when I had issues since then no leaks

10. Member
    I've got mine in hand working on it and if I manually push in it gets stuck as the o ring drags but if I lube it or wet it the plug slips right in, when I lubed it in the past the dirt and dust wears on on the housing and o ring, I'm going to contact flow rite and see what I can get from their response, maybe try another but if that don't work out I would have no option until then at least I can use the boat.

11. mikesxpress
    I was hesitant in replacing my drain plug in the Intracoastal due to the restrictive screen on the remote drain system. Saltwater fishing and water washdown puts a considerable amount of scales, fish parts, etc.. in the bilge and I didn't want to be digging in there to clean it out. A few mods to that screen area and it's in with no more crawling under the boat. I believe most of the issued noted are due to leaving the plug open while on road travel which accumulates crud on the O ring and sealing area. I keep mine lubed with a synthetic Super Lube grease and have no issues. I open the drain when I load and close it for the ride home. I open it again after I park in the barn and turn the fan on to blow air into the service well.

12. Banned
    I have not had any issues on my 2014, I love not having to climb under the boat. But to each his own.

If o ring cracks or get old it doesn't fit properly and causes it not to close just replaced the o ring on mine works great again
    Angler's Choice Martinsville VA

2015 Ranger Z518c

14. Member
    I replaced my o-ring with a green o-ring that I had from an automotive 134 a/c o-ring kit that I had lying around. The o- ring is the same diameter but not quite as thick. You can still feel it snap into place but is not as tight as the original. It works great and has already lasted longer than the original. I will never have another boat without the remote drain plug.

15. Member
    Update: Contacted Flo-Rite great people to deal with, called and spoke to the tech support team member and we had a great conversation, being a machinist for 25 yrs i clearly understand form and function and design. we went over several aspects of the mechanics and fit of the design and came to an agreement that my plug may have an issue. Being a stand up kind of company they helped me out with a new assembly for my Ranger, all I can say is thank you Flow-Rite for 100% customer satisfaction, i will be reinstalling the assembly in my Ranger as soon as I recieve it in a couple of days. They also stated they make every effort to keep their customers happy and stand behind their product and support our sport. Great company and 100% customer satisfaction, this post was written for discussion on BBC for input from other members not arguement, thanks for all the post to those who advised positive input. Ranger Strong!

16. Member
    Re installed the new plug assembly and this one works just like its designed, seats down on the o-ring just like it should, great to know there are people out there like Flow-Rite that help out customers and want to resolve the issue with you. Thanks Flow-Rite

Glad to hear it worked out
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

18. Member
    Mine broke twice. Flow rite sent me a new one after the first one broke. After second broke put old style plug in and not even going to bother with getting another. Figure after two won't try for a third.
    But being that said Flow rite did have great customer service!
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    Re installed the new plug assembly and this one works just like its designed, seats down on the o-ring just like it should, great to know there are people out there like Flow-Rite that help out customers and want to resolve the issue with you. Thanks Flow-Rite

Good deal..for your knees will thank you!

20. Member
    appears the assembly was not operating correctly and the cable position is critical after my install it works smooth as silk and comparing the 2 cables there is a definate difference im pretty happy right about now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast