Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    don't worry about fishing behind other people. I've jacked some studs fishing behind other boats.

If everything goes smoothly, you'll be nervous but fine. If something goes wrong (like you forget something in the truck or have boat trouble), that's when you need to worry about hurrying up and doing something wrong or damaging something getting in a hurry. As far as lining up in the morning, try to find the guy with the number in front of you before you launch if possible or first thing when you get on the water. Get behind him a safe distance and follow him till launch. Makes the whole thing less stressful when you don't have to worry about missing your number or blocking people with lower numbers. Good luck.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    LOL, reading comprehension. The OP IS the boater.
    Ooops, saw the word coangler, missed the NON haha. Either way, Have fun. Be courteous. Fish your confidence. Have fun
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Thanks again guys. Ill giver hell and see what happens!

Ah, I read that as a non coangler as a non-boater/co-angler...

Lots of good advice here... Don't eat too much, take plenty of fluids, fish to your strengths. You don't have to be an expert on every technique published on bassmaster. I saw a Zona show once where he was talking about Greg Hackney, who was fishing through a slump. He told Hack that the Hack he knew whooped everyone with a jig and a squarebill, and not all this other stuff... So fish your strengths, do what you do, if you try to zig or zag in your first boater tournament, it will just complicate things and then you'll get mental and question your new decisions rather than be confident in your old ones...

Frog bites are fickle, make sure you're ready to punch that grass though...

Make sure your partner can get you backed into the water, or get launched early if you can, go slow when doing the AM bobbing on the water thing, navigate with TM around boats if you're not super comfortable with navigation on the big motor in tight spaces. Keep your livewells pumping on the fish all day, don't kill your first boater fish :)

Oh yeah, time management, be a clock watcher :) I'm excited for you...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

6. Member
    Thanks. Thats solid right there. Clock management is one of my concerns. I guess ill have to make a decision at some point when to move. Cant waste time pickin stuff apart like i do when i fun fish. Good advice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Ooops, saw the word coangler, missed the NON haha. Either way, Have fun. Be courteous. Fish your confidence. Have fun
    Too much temptation! No offense intended.

8. Banned
    yeah, slow down, but do it quickly. I'll slow my presentations down, but not spend a lot of time at a spot. Either the fish are biting or they aren't. If you're confident in what they are biting on then just make logical decisions to move on quickly instead of wasting time. Only time I'll not move around a lot is if the fish are in bushes with no determinable pattern as to where they are. Happened to me on Kerr a few weeks back. So I trolled long stretched of flooded brush. But if I'm fishing points I'll hammer 10 casts, pull troller and move on to the next one.

9. Member
    dont forget to put plug in the boat and undo boat tie downs LOL..... I've been excited on tournament morning and forgot the small things more than once... haha
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Too much temptation! No offense intended.
    All good man, none taken

To ad something to the post, if your co isnt experienced backing a trailer, line it up and back it down to waters edge then jump in the boat and let him dump you. Much quicker than him having to slowly back down and potentially make mistakes in the dark.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Member
    Oh my! Thats the kind of stuff im sayin. Lol. I was all excited bout a frog bite the other day puttin in and out myself i forgot the plug. Lol. Good thing it was still on trailer and i got a remote plug. Haha

Yeah ill keep it movin. No sense beatin it up too bad. Im lookin for biters.

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    dont forget to put plug in the boat and undo boat tie downs.....

^^^ This... and this...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ll+in+the+boat

Good luck & have fun.
    Who controls John Gill?

13. Member
    About the ramp... If you have a co angler fishing with you, inform them of your actions and what you expect from them at the ramp. Prep your boat for launching, unstrapping the boat, plug in strap off the bow ect. If your partner is not or can't back you in the water be prepared for a little extra time and take your time unloading the boat.

And if it's still dark when launching, turn your headlights off. Running lights should be use when unloading so you don't blind some other boater backing in.... It's common courtesy around our area...

Just my .02
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

Also be cautious around the boat wakes at blast off. Make sure you do your normal get boat ready routine. Give yourself plenty of time. Wear your life jacket with kill switch hooked up when using the big motor. Make sure navigation lights are working.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

15. Member
    Well the ramp is only big enough for 1 person to back down at a time out of this marina. But very helpful advice for the next one for sure. Never even thought of that!!

My coangler is all good as far as backing normally and what not. Its pretty fluid when we drop in. I just rather launch him in the boat cuz he isnt used to my truck or tandem trailer. He has 2 flat boats so its just a little trickier where as im a lot more used to it. So it works good either way. Let him look like the stud while im the dork parkin the truck. Haha. Its all good tho. He knows his stuff. Just isnt as quick on that end with different truck/trailer.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Also be cautious around the boat wakes at blast off. Make sure you do your normal get boat ready routine. Give yourself plenty of time. Wear your life jacket with kill switch hooked up when using the big motor. Make sure navigation lights are working.
    Can you explain this a little further? My boat is fast (03 tr21 with 250 hpdi and 27t1 by crox) and could really probably beat 75% of the boats in it. But should i drive like its sunday by myself, or should i over take them? Whats the best way to come from behind at speed with the crazy wakes? Usually i slow down, trim down, get perpendicular, but when you are trying to pass someone what is safest while maintaining speed?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesignguy View Post
    About the ramp... If you have a co angler fishing with you, inform them of your actions and what you expect from them at the ramp. Prep your boat for launching, unstrapping the boat, plug in strap off the bow ect. If your partner is not or can't back you in the water be prepared for a little extra time and take your time unloading the boat.

And if it's still dark when launching, turn your headlights off. Running lights should be use when unloading so you don't blind some other boater backing in.... It's common courtesy around our area...

Just my .02
    This and just have fun. Remember it's just fishing not life or death

Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Can you explain this a little further? My boat is fast (03 tr21 with 250 hpdi and 27t1 by crox) and could really probably beat 75% of the boats in it. But should i drive like its sunday by myself, or should i over take them? Whats the best way to come from behind at speed with the crazy wakes? Usually i slow down, trim down, get perpendicular, but when you are trying to pass someone what is safest while maintaining speed?
    It really depends on how wide of an area it will be. If it's wide open. Then it's probably safe to pass. And it also depends on how close the boatyou are going to pass is to shore. If it's wide open passing on the right side of the boat you are overtaking is correct. I usually try to stay further back when getting out from behind another boat because there will be less wake. I usually go moderate across someone elses wake then gun it to pass. Just be mindful of the boat you are passing in case they decided to turn into a cove or something. If it's narrow or even questionably narrow. I'll just follow at a safe distance. Right around the launch area is where you will encounter the biggest waves. That's the part you have to be careful of. Get on plane, get headed in the direction you are going and it should be easier to figure out.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

19. Member
    Lots of good information here for you. All I can add is, if you haven't done it, make sure you take time and thoroughly read the rules and regs so you don't inadvertently go offside. If there's anything in there not clear, you have time to contact the organizers.

Have fun fun and let us know how you do!

20. Banned
    Man wipes...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast