Thread: Wes Watkins

Wes Watkins

Anybody ever fish Wes Watkins anymore? I was out by there today doing a estimate and drove by the south ramp just to see. The water it up in the bush and looks relatively clear. There were two guys pulling a bass boat out so I stopped and asked if they did any good. Not a thing...BIG BLANK. The guy said they covered some water too. This sort of the same thing I alway got the last few times I fished there. Fifteen or so years ago it was big bass city out there I caught two over 7 pounds there.

Too bad it's gone so far down hill. What happened.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I have asked that question many times. I live 3 miles from the north ramp and never go there anymore. Its unreal that 10-12 years ago, I actually thought it was one of the best lakes in the state. I had many 30-40 fish days on carolina rigs on road beds and the old railroad track. I mean fish from 3-5 pounds. The lake had grass and the creek channels were awesome. Now it is the dead sea. I don't get it. I was at the ODWC last year and asked a fisheries biologist and he really had no answers. I did have a day this spring where I caught five and 2 were under 14". That was encouraging because for a while you may only get one bite but it was always a 4 pounder. I wish it would come back but I don't see it.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I think years ago we encountered LMBV in many oklahoma lakes, this coupled shortly thereafter with a stretch of drought conditions. Basically, most of the large bass died from the disease, and the bass that made it had low recruitment spawning seasons because the lack of shallow water cover. Typically drought conditions expose bare shoreline that in turn allows wind currents and waves to create higher turbitdity. When no sunlight penetrates the water, the grass has a hard time growing. The lake will cycle just like all the others. Tbird went through this scenario while Watkins was on fire. Now tbird is a much better fishery than it was in the past.

Look at Okemah, that lake was progressively getting better and better. The last two flood years have choked out a lot of the shoreline vegetation. I would venture to say the lake will slowly decline for a few years, and it will start to rebound as the grass returns.

Lakes are naturally cyclic ecosystems. When the ecosystem lacks a key component, it slowly falls apart. Eventually, Mother Nature will provide good conditions for a couple of years and it will rebound. I will say that I believe smaller lakes are effected by these issues much more than larger lakes.

Just my my take on it

Josh, you're absolutely right. I do remember when the LMV hit Wes and it devastated it and then the drought years. I saw Bell Cow go through that cycle only I don't think it got the virus...just fished out. Now I hear it's producing again. It sure was nice to have a good bass lake that a guy could get to from Edmond in less than an hour drive.

I spoke to a guy with the management out there one time about the decline of the fishing and his attitude was pretty much, "this lake is for drinking water and nothing else...if the fishing sucks then that's too bad".

I drive through there whenever I'm in the area and never see anybody fishing there. Yesterday, I was surprised to see three vehicles in the parking lot...the bass boat guys I spoke about, a pontoon, and a guy with a couple of kayaks. That's the most activity I've seen there...of course I'm always there on a weekday.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    I think years ago we encountered LMBV in many oklahoma lakes, this coupled shortly thereafter with a stretch of drought conditions. Basically, most of the large bass died from the disease, and the bass that made it had low recruitment spawning seasons because the lack of shallow water cover. Typically drought conditions expose bare shoreline that in turn allows wind currents and waves to create higher turbitdity. When no sunlight penetrates the water, the grass has a hard time growing. The lake will cycle just like all the others. Tbird went through this scenario while Watkins was on fire. Now tbird is a much better fishery than it was in the past.

Look at Okemah, that lake was progressively getting better and better. The last two flood years have choked out a lot of the shoreline vegetation. I would venture to say the lake will slowly decline for a few years, and it will start to rebound as the grass returns.

Lakes are naturally cyclic ecosystems. When the ecosystem lacks a key component, it slowly falls apart. Eventually, Mother Nature will provide good conditions for a couple of years and it will rebound. I will say that I believe smaller lakes are effected by these issues much more than larger lakes.

Just my my take on it
    Yes, waste of time to fish Wes Watkins and Okemah. LOL

I hope Okemah doesn't decline. Even a below average fisherman like me can catch fish there.

I live 5 miles south of the south ramp myself. It used to be a GREAT lake. I went out there about 2 months back. It was the worst trip I've taken all year. Three anglers in the
    boat and not one bite. We talked to a guy that caught one fish. Honestly, I'd rather go to Thunderbird.
    Take your kid Fishing!
    http://mcbassin.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    Yes, waste of time to fish Wes Watkins and Okemah. LOL

I hope Okemah doesn't decline. Even a below average fisherman like me can catch fish there.

Awwww Jeeze....I've on fished Okemah once and I blanked. I fished grass...I fished structure...I never even smelled fish. I've always heard how great it is there but if I'm going to that far, I'll just go on to Konawa or Arbuckle. I'll have to give it another try. It gets a lot of ski boat traffic in the summer doesn't it?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Awwww Jeeze....I've on fished Okemah once and I blanked. I fished grass...I fished structure...I never even smelled fish. I've always heard how great it is there but if I'm going to that far, I'll just go on to Konawa or Arbuckle. I'll have to give it another try. It gets a lot of ski boat traffic in the summer doesn't it?
    Not a ton like thunderbird.