Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Keep in mind the highest load will be at the top of any contact point, which is why the cracks always start there. With the Detwyler, there is no top point that receives maximum stress. Instead it is in two holes, with greater surface area, and transmitted to the rest of the plate. I would feel better about any sliding slot of the top were closed, without a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStrokerDee View Post
    I didn't condemn it. I simply stated that the plate had only been out a short period of time and was based on a design that was riddled with issues. Based on those facts, it shouldn't be considered in a best jp conversation. But of course, people that have them will naturally try to defend the plate, and that's why I have to restate my original comment many times. Not attacking, not condemming, just stating fact.
    OK So by your own statement the SEASTAR is equally New Right?

Just Saying that things appear to be the same but there have been some "Not near the quality of Detwiler, But the trim motor is a Mercury Part"

Choices is all its about guys and why the marine industry is failing... Look how few Bass Boat Companies are left! Just Saying

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinDawg View Post
    OK So by your own statement the SEASTAR is equally New Right?

Just Saying that things appear to be the same but there have been some "Not near the quality of Detwiler, But the trim motor is a Mercury Part"

Choices is all its about guys and why the marine industry is failing... Look how few Bass Boat Companies are left! Just Saying
    Actually Mike the Sea Star has been available for about 3 years. It's still basically the same design as the detwiler but is faster. It's very well built and my 2 brother have been running them with no problem in 3 yrs. I bought my detwiler on my current boat just a few months before the sea star model was available and I wish I would've waited and gotten the newer one. I hope the hydro plate ends up being the best one of them all honestly if for no other reason than 14" available setback and looks. If they would've been available before I bought the detwiler I probly would've given it a run for its money. I purchased my setback plate from Steve instead of the detwiler ones bc of the quality in his work.

4. Member
    The Detwiller got a new decal, it wasn't redesigned as far as I know. The notion that a large corporation would buy out a successful company to add that product to it's portfolio, then change it and cheapen it was pretty funny. Generally, that's not how successful businesses operate. H.D. did change their plate after the business was acquired by Steve to address things that needed improved. It's a new plate now, no real longterm history, how can it be called, "the best"?
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

The Detwiller got a new decal, it wasn't redesigned as far as I know. The notion that a large corporation would buy out a successful company to add that product to it's portfolio, then change it and cheapen it was pretty funny. Generally, that's not how successful businesses operate. H.D. did change their plate after the business was acquired by Steve to address things that needed improved. It's a new plate now, no real longterm history, how can it be called, "the best"?
    Not being Rude to you Danny but Really? I have seen it all to often in Manufacturing and Fabrication. You have to cover the investment and if the market is locked you cannot add to the price so why buy?

I may be silly but have seen it way too many times. And reports are that people are finding movement due to inferior metals I haven't mic'd one yet but this is all about options

Stroker builds BOATS and whatever y'all like is fine with me. Steve's Plate is solid functional and Cleans up the back of the boat. Conner added that the other issue "Backwash" was all but eliminated.

I would NOT use an Atlas, and Bob's has a past when used like WE do. I said it before Steve is one of us and we will not be just a Number which makes for a better warranty if needed

Again...My views are there and have seen it time and again

Quote Originally Posted by WPC3 View Post
    Actually Mike the Sea Star has been available for about 3 years. It's still basically the same design as the detwiler but is faster. It's very well built and my 2 brother have been running them with no problem in 3 yrs. I bought my detwiler on my current boat just a few months before the sea star model was available and I wish I would've waited and gotten the newer one. I hope the hydro plate ends up being the best one of them all honestly if for no other reason than 14" available setback and looks. If they would've been available before I bought the detwiler I probly would've given it a run for its money. I purchased my setback plate from Steve instead of the detwiler ones bc of the quality in his work.
    Thanks Willie and was aware its been a couple of years and have heard of issues NOT previously brought up. Mine is Rock Solid and will be sold when I get Steve's plate in. (When time allows) I am just sharing what we are hearing and are thankful to have an alternative and a clean one at that Asking what the BEST is comes with this kind of debate but my DETWILER is Bad Arse!

7. BBC SPONSOR
    H.D. did change their plate after the business was acquired by Steve to address things that needed improved.
    How is that when HD was not in the Hydraulic business? Steve designed the Hydraulic plate from the ground up after he purchased Hydro Dynamics. The original design was modified to allow the 400R to fit on the plate. The manufacturing process has also changed, they are now CNC cut by Mark Owens at ROW Manufacturing in Athens, AL. The plate is 100% American Made down to the pump and relay pack.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

I do not want to continue in a debate that has false misleading information about a company or its process. I think the best thing to do is so you have accurate first hand knowledge is to give Steve a call. (903-763-5225). Getting on here and typing what you think doesn't make it a fact. First hand knowledge means something to me. I do want to make a point that "ALL" hydraulic plates will need serviced at some point as they have moving mechanical parts. I have had both and I like where the hydrodynamics plate is headed for my use. You want a no problem solved plate stick a mechanical HD plate on it and go fish!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinDawg View Post
    Thanks Willie and was aware its been a couple of years and have heard of issues NOT previously brought up. Mine is Rock Solid and will be sold when I get Steve's plate in. (When time allows) I am just sharing what we are hearing and are thankful to have an alternative and a clean one at that Asking what the BEST is comes with this kind of debate but my DETWILER is Bad Arse!
    Mike let Steve know if he wants his plate REALLY tested I'll put it through the paces for him. All he has to do is give me a good deal. I'll sell the detwiler to give it a shot. I like new shiny toys and ain't scared to try em. I went out on a limb before most a put a 200 SHO on my bullet and flashed the ECU just to be a little different and I love how that worked out.

10. Member
    BassinDawg, I've been the president and CEO of several companies. The largest was 135 people with annual sales of 28 million. You can see this company here, https://www.anaren.com/unicircuit Lets not debate what companies do unless you can show me some kind of serious business background. And Tim, you take everything so personally. I know Steve appreciates your friendship and defense of his jp, but the design has yet to be proven as "best jp". I never said Steve's plate was anything, I said the design was flawed. Read without emotion, you'll find your comprehension will improve.
    Its seriously hard to have an adult conversation with more than one viewpoint or opinion without be chastised. I'm out.
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

11. BBC SPONSOR
    And Tim, you take everything so personally. I know Steve appreciates your friendship and defense of his jp, but the design has yet to be proven as "best jp". I never said Steve's plate was anything, I said the design was flawed. Read without emotion, you'll find your comprehension will improve.
    Its seriously hard to have an adult conversation with more than one viewpoint or opinion without be chastised. I'm out.

Nothing taken personally here, I could give a $hit less what plate anyone runs. But when I see someone giving negative feedback about a product and company that they have zero first hand experience with, I do try to set the record straight.......zero emotions in that.....
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

12. Member
    I happen to be the CEO of the hydraulic division of Hydro Dynamics. Mr. Stroker Dee, I do not know you from Adam. You do not know me or our product, it appears. To base your opinion on our hydraulic plate based upon someone else's design speaks to your ignorance of our product. To say, first hand, that it has flaws and not have first hand knowledge of the product seems a bit biased to me. We will have our problems, as do others. I will tell you this, we will respond faster than anyone in the industry because like stated above, when one buys from us, they are not just a number. Are we the best, maybe, maybe not. I will tell you our larger foot print will not dig into the transom like other models. Our plates will speak for themselves.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiewrangler View Post
    I happen to be the CEO of the hydraulic division of Hydro Dynamics. Mr. Stroker Dee, I do not know you from Adam. You do not know me or our product, it appears. To base your opinion on our hydraulic plate based upon someone else's design speaks to your ignorance of our product. To say, first hand, that it has flaws and not have first hand knowledge of the product seems a bit biased to me. We will have our problems, as do others. I will tell you this, we will respond faster than anyone in the industry because like stated above, when one buys from us, they are not just a number. Are we the best, maybe, maybe not. I will tell you our larger foot print will not dig into the transom like other models. Our plates will speak for themselves.
    Well said my friend!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

14. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I have a detwiler on mine from the factory and all the strokers I have had.....this one has a leverage adjustable setback... The Hydrodynamics has my attention tho .... they look great I like the top and bottom plates with the transducer mount that's real nice if I need a jack plate its got my attention for sure

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler69 View Post
    Hey guys! I have a Gambler 2100 with a 250 mercury opti. I purchased this boat used a few months ago and it has a bobs jackplate installed. This jackplate has some serious play between the slide plate. I dont think replacing the sleeves(bearings) will be enought to fix it. I wanted to know what's a good plate for a 300hp rig in you guys opinion? Thanks for your help.
    I am a couple hours north of you if you would like to check one out in person.. I fish down on Wawasee a bit if your ever up that way.

16. Member
    I may have to take you up on that. Wawasee was one of the hardest lakes for me to figure out! I didn't mean for my jack plate question to get so serious! MrStrokerDee makes some good points about design. And so do Hydodynamic followers by saying, "Give it time and we'll show you that our design for this type of plate is better." It's nothing wrong with good serious debate. I think that it makes for better products and better idea's. I really enjoyed the posts and learned alot about jack plates from you guys. Thanks for your help guys!

Anytime just let me know

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler69 View Post
    I may have to take you up on that. Wawasee was one of the hardest lakes for me to figure out! I didn't mean for my jack plate question to get so serious! MrStrokerDee makes some good points about design. And so do Hydodynamic followers by saying, "Give it time and we'll show you that our design for this type of plate is better." It's nothing wrong with good serious debate. I think that it makes for better products and better idea's. I really enjoyed the posts and learned alot about jack plates from you guys. Thanks for your help guys!
    After reading all of the comments....I think I will stay with the Detweiler. I have a 6" hydraulic bolted to the original 6" plate....Quite happy with what I have. The Detweiler is tried and proven. Works for the application that I currently run. I think the Bob's plate is Hokey at best. Same goes with some of the others mentioned. I'm also not a fan of a square plate running up and down a square slot. I've already seen issues with that nonsense. JMO Gentlemen.
    BTW......I also have a 206 Gambler.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

19. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by GPGambler View Post
    After reading all of the comments....I think I will stay with the Detweiler. I have a 6" hydraulic bolted to the original 6" plate....Quite happy with what I have. The Detweiler is tried and proven. Works for the application that I currently run. I think the Bob's plate is Hokey at best. Same goes with some of the others mentioned. I'm also not a fan of a square plate running up and down a square slot. I've already seen issues with that nonsense. JMO Gentlemen.
    BTW......I also have a 206 Gambler.

If you are running a detwiler then there is no reason to change as you have a great JP. I put a HD plate one because I like to try new stuff. The new plate is unproven and so far so good but time will tell. Like with all plates they need to be inspected on a regular basis. I have had bolts on the Detwiler back out and need replacing with a dab of blue loc tight. I would call that normal maintenance and not a big deal. I never had a detwiler failure had my first one in 2005.

20. Member
    I picked up my new Stroker in February of 2000. It had an 8" Detwiler with 6" setback for a total of 14" of setback. I ran that configuration until about 5 years ago when I replaced the setback plate with a hydraulic Leverage plate. With the Leverage being 8" of setback it made my setback a minimum of 16". To get back to where I could adjust my setback from 14" to 18" I had to reduce the depth of the Detwiler. I had new pieces made for the Detwiler and have been running that way ever since. Only issues have been some bolts backing out on the Detwiler and the Exact Dial failing.

Recently I decided to make a change and ordered a fix setback plate from Hydro Dynamics. I worked closely with them on the design and it is exactly what I was looking for. Hydro Dynamics is a great company to work with and their setback plate is second to none.

If or when my Detwiler stops working, I would seriously consider replacing it with a Hydro Dynamics Hydraulic Jack Plate.

My 2 cents.
    fastglass1
    2000 Stroker
    2005 250XS
    30+ Performer 3 and 30 Performer 4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast