Thread: Actuator Help

Actuator Help

Hey guys,

I apologized and I know this is not a new topic but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2009 Z520 that rides on a tandem ranger trail. I am looking to replace the brake actuator. It is currently a tie down engineering model, lp80. this model is discontinued. It says it is rated for 8000 pounds. All of the research that I have done shows me that ranger is using an actuator rated for 7500 pounds now. Does this sound right? Would I be safe to replace with a actuator rated for 7500 or should I order one with a rating for at least 8000 pounds?

2. Member
    I've got the 521vx and have the UFP 60 actuator rated for 6000 lbs.

Thanks Comb. My next question is, the lp80 has a different bolt on pattern then any other actuator. Do I just drill out the tongue in the appropriate locations for whichever unit I go with? Or do I have to purchase a whole new tongue unit from gone swing away forward?

I guess overkill is never bad in these types of things, but that sounds like extreme overkill. This is especially true if a 521 is getting along fine with a 6000 pound rated actuator and we're talking about one on a 520. It's a shame the UFP 60 won't just bolt on.

Probably the "obvious" answer and I suspect you've already done so if you've spent time researching it, but have you tried calling Ranger to see what they suggest? They may have some of the original in stock that they could sell you, or they could at least offer the best way to replace what you have now, whether that's a whole new tongue unit or figuring out a way to make one that's currently produced work.

Or maybe the 8000 lb rated one isn't original, and that's what's causing all the confusion in the first place.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Smitty..good question. You may want to ask in trailers/towing section. I just changed my actuator out and there was a note on the old one to be sure that you purchase the exact same part number. Not sure why however.

6. Member
    You can still buy the LP 80 actuator if that is what your trailer really has.

Thanks for the responses. I have searched and searched and called the manufacturer (tie down) and the lp80 and anything to do with it are no longer available at all. Can't even get a single part to rebuild any of it.

Im confident that the ufp 60 is going to be the weapon I put on. Since its rated at 7500# now. Now it's just a matter of being able to insert it and bolt in in the existing tongue or buy a whole tongue section from the swing away hinge forward.

The UFP actuator won't fit inside the tongue that was built for a tie down unit. Your only option if you want to go to UFP (I would recommend it) is to order a new tongue from Ranger with the UFP actuator already in it. They make them all the time for people who want to replace their tongue.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Thanks ranger519vs,....I figure that is the best way to go. Only thing I was trying to accomplish was to find one closer. Being in Ontario, getting stuff from ranger shipped up and across the border can add a pretty penny to the bottom line. I don't care if it matches with the road armour or not ,... Maybe ufp makes the whole assembly and I can get it directly from them.

Time to dig up an old post of mine. I am still dealing with this. I thought I hade solved the problem by bleeding and doing some simple repairs. However it is completely done now. Leaking from all the seals in the cylinder and I am tired of trying to repair it. I want a new tongue. However I am still having trouble, or at least I think I am maybe I am over thinking it.

I want to find a tongue assembly with all the inner parts that I can simply take the old one off at the swing away knuckle, and bolt the new one to the trailer to replace. I dont care about color or road amour I can deal with that. I have searched UFP online and all I can find is the inner members, and I know they will not fit inside the current tongue so that does not help.

I have contacted Ranger parts, and according to their records my boat has a UFP actuator on it, which is not the case as I am looking at it. So the replacement they are looking to send me is the inner members of that UFP system which will not fit.

Thanks in advance

I'm guessing this is what they're offering?

Tandem: https://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-mo...actuator-34044
    Single: https://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-mo...actuator-34043

This appears to be the proper outer member that could be bolted on to accept the inner members...would this bolt onto your trailer? It says for A75 but the detailed description says it also works with A60.
    https://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-ou...assembly-34375
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the top mounted bolt on units, my only concern is that one of the bolt holes will line up in a spot where the current tongue already has a bigger hole for the slide rollers or something and not provide enough strength. First choice to find something that matches the crotch of the swing away tongue hopefully

13. Member
    I believe I have the complete TDE replacement that you need minus the coupler. I bought it to replace the unit on my 08Z520 but traded it in before I got around to it. Let me check when I get home from work.
    Just another beer drinker with a fishing problem.

14. Member
    Just went thru this with my 2008 z520( tiedown 70lp). Called ranger and was told to upgrade to the UFP. I ordered the housing coated in road armor and bought the a-60 from trailer parts depot. Housing is expensive imo for what it is but looks great.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I ordered a complete assembly for mine 2005 Z21, had a tie down before, converted over to the UFP style. Ordered from Ranger, they sent me a complete unit housing and actuator. (preassembled took the swing pin and bolt out, unhooked brake line, fished wires through, re-do in reverse. Extremely easy to do. buy a new bolt for the swing while your at it.

16. Member
    Just bought and installed a new tie down actuator from ranger for my 2007 Z19. Just gave them my hull ID and they sent what I needed.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

17. Member
    I have the TDE model 70LP actuator and rebuild kit. I also have a spare TDE Turbo Lube hub and spindle assembly that was my spare. Let me know if you are interested.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....93#post9518593
    Last edited by X19Indy; 07-20-2018 at 08:27 AM.
    Just another beer drinker with a fishing problem.

X19Indy, Thanks for the offer but the 70lp unit wont fit properly in my tongue designed for the 80lp. Appreciate the offer tho.

I will call Ranger and talk to them again. Maybe I didn't explain myself to them well enough what I was after. Sounds like I should just be able order a tongue assembly with the upgraded ufp actuator and coupler.

Also, I am going to check with trailer parts depot, it looks like the they may actually still sell the master cylinder and parts to rebuild the system, and just keep my current coupler and tongue housing.

Thanks for the support guys, please add if there is anything you can think of or have experienced