Thread: Z8 Setup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    You have it backward. A lower pitch is equivalent to a HIGHER rear end ratio. The pitch is the distance the prop will travel through water in one complete revolution, assuming zero slip. 24P moves 24" in one revolution. A 26P moves 26". Which is the same as a lower (numerically) rear end ratio as the wheels spin more given the same # of driveshaft revolutions. To raise RPM, you decrease pitch. This will improve hole shot, but just like the 4.10 rear end, will lower top end. To go faster, you raise the pitch, which hurts hole shot but increases top end speed. You want to prop the motor to turn near max RPM when the air is cold, dry and dense. IE not summer. If you prop it for max RPM in the summer, you will be blowing over the rev limiter when the air is cooler.

The Pro XS has a redline of 5750. You want to get close to that. But surprisingly, quite often LOWERING the pitch will improve top-end, because as you get up into the power band of the motor (5500+) it makes more power which will then increase the RPM even more giving you more speed. I don't know much about a Z8, but a properly propped 200 Pro XS ought to at least reach mid to upper 60's, even in a very heavy boat.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    You have it backward. A lower pitch is equivalent to a HIGHER rear end ratio. The pitch is the distance the prop will travel through water in one complete revolution, assuming zero slip. 24P moves 24" in one revolution. A 26P moves 26". Which is the same as a lower (numerically) rear end ratio as the wheels spin more given the same # of driveshaft revolutions. To raise RPM, you decrease pitch. This will improve hole shot, but just like the 4.10 rear end, will lower top end. To go faster, you raise the pitch, which hurts hole shot but increases top end speed. You want to prop the motor to turn near max RPM when the air is cold, dry and dense. IE not summer. If you prop it for max RPM in the summer, you will be blowing over the rev limiter when the air is cooler.

The Pro XS has a redline of 5750. You want to get close to that. But surprisingly, quite often LOWERING the pitch will improve top-end, because as you get up into the power band of the motor (5500+) it makes more power which will then increase the RPM even more giving you more speed. I don't know much about a Z8, but a properly propped 200 Pro XS ought to at least reach mid to upper 60's, even in a very heavy boat.
    Yeah I am realizing that now. I’m not sure why I was thinking of it that way. I guess I was thinking the bigger the number the more torque. Thanks everyone for setting me straight. I used to be able to get to the mid 60s and before I added the weight of the 4th battery and power poles. But then my boat starts chine walking pretty bad at 65. I’m trying to get where I can get my speed back up and work on addressing my chine issue or learning to drive through it better. I know it’s unlikely, but I am hoping by getting the correct prop it might correct all of my issues, the slow hole shot, lower top end from not spinning enough rpms, and helping with my chine. I really wish there was a prop rental company. Lol like Redbox for props. Rent 5 go out and see what does what.

3. Member
    Chine walk is really not a product of the prop. It is a characteristic of a high-performance hull and the balancing act that is required from the driver at the upper end of the speed range. You don't "drive through" chine walk. You "drive past" it. Because you never let it start. You learn to make very minor steering corrections to keep the boat balanced on the pad correctly. An experienced driver will help. But you CAN learn by yourself.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Too much prop you need to drop 2 pitch sizes to bring RPM's up by 500.

23 Tempest is the prop. run it high like they like
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

5. Member
    When looking at smart gage systems I'd go for the MercMonitor Level 1 or Level 2. These will provide the engine information you were looking for. I installed the Level 1 and I get more info than I can look at while running down the lake.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

Think of a rear diff with a transmission that only has one gear. And you want acceleration as well as top speed.

I can tell u you can run 2 of the same props and get different numbers.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tzx200 View Post
    Too much prop you need to drop 2 pitch sizes to bring RPM's up by 500.

23 Tempest is the prop. run it high like they like
    Just got a hell of a deal on a brand new 23p tempest. I will test it out soon. If I don't like it I'll just trade it or sell it. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

8. Member
    I bet.. I'm just trying to get close to the RPMs I should be at. When I get one I really like I'D like to send it to Croxton to get worked.

9. Member
    So I finally got my boat out with the 24p tempest plus. I didn't get to run it as much as I'd like to but here is what happened. I had a little over 1/2 tank all my gear and a passenger. The best mph I got was 62 mph at 5450 rpm. If I raised my jack plate more than 1" I lost mph. Raising it did increase rpms, but ran slower. My water pressure wasn't an issue and I did hit 5700 one time. It just was running like 58 mph. So I'm not sure what to do next. Do I look for a 4 blade 25 p that will give me more holeshot and the speed of a 25p?

10. Member
    Any ideas on what to try next??

23p will gain u a few rpms. approx 150-200 rpms. U need to be close to 5700 I would prefer 5900 for best all round performance.

livewells full, and more fuel you'll want those rpms.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smccabe12 View Post
    So I finally got my boat out with the 24p tempest plus. I didn't get to run it as much as I'd like to but here is what happened. I had a little over 1/2 tank all my gear and a passenger. The best mph I got was 62 mph at 5450 rpm. If I raised my jack plate more than 1" I lost mph. Raising it did increase rpms, but ran slower. My water pressure wasn't an issue and I did hit 5700 one time. It just was running like 58 mph. So I'm not sure what to do next. Do I look for a 4 blade 25 p that will give me more holeshot and the speed of a 25p?
    Those are close to the numbers I'm running with the 25p Tempest+. I've never really chased the speed though because majority of my fishing is in speed limited lakes and just stayed with factory settings. Based on previous maintenance reports 90 percent of my engine time is less then 4500 rpms and <45mph...LOL Recently lowered the slidemaster down 3/4" and can hit 61-62 at about 5700rpms with two in boat and about 1/3 fuel (68gal tank).
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    23p will gain u a few rpms. approx 150-200 rpms. U need to be close to 5700 I would prefer 5900 for best all round performance.

livewells full, and more fuel you'll want those rpms.

I believe 5750 is max rpm for that motor.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

14. Member
    See that's is what I don't understand. Why I have the exact boat and cant get nowhere close to 5700 with my 25p Tempest+. I know weight plays a role and engine height too but still.. How much other weight do you have on your boat with batteries, gear, or talons or poles? Does your prop like to be set lower? Mine definitely does. Also, my boat has always done this just curious if yours does it too? At around 55 mph it’s like the whole back end shifts to the left for a split second. You definitely feel it. I have been told it’s the boat shifting to one side of the pad. I don’t know, I just wish I could get it where I can hit like 67 mph and have a decent holeshot when my live wells and fuel tank are full. Where I fish a lot of my tournaments I often run about 45min Wide Open to get to my spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Those are close to the numbers I'm running with the 25p Tempest+. I've never really chased the speed though because majority of my fishing is in speed limited lakes and just stayed with factory settings. Based on previous maintenance reports 90 percent of my engine time is less then 4500 rpms and <45mph...LOL Recently lowered the slidemaster down 3/4" and can hit 61-62 at about 5700rpms with two in boat and about 1/3 fuel (68gal tank).

Make sure the steering has no air in it as well as the rod the trim pivots in shouldn’t have any left to right wiggle at all. The only time my z8 stepped out like your saying the trim pivot rod was loose.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smccabe12 View Post
    I agree it is a bit underpowered. I just swear I have read of people getting into the high 60’s and low 70’s with a 200 on them.
    Those are false numbers, I promise! Fishysam is spot-on with his numbers. I have the same setup.
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

17. Member
    I will have to look at that. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Make sure the steering has no air in it as well as the rod the trim pivots in shouldn’t have any left to right wiggle at all. The only time my z8 stepped out like your saying the trim pivot rod was loose.

18. Member
    They very well might be. I'm just going on what I have read. I put my 25p tempest plus back on yesterday and by myself with around 1/2 tank I was able to hit 66mph. Honestly, the mph isn't what bothers/intrigues me. I just want to get the boat to its max potential (RPMS where they should be and a decent hole shot.) Once I achieve that then whatever the top speed is so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbrell224 View Post
    Those are false numbers, I promise! Fishysam is spot-on with his numbers. I have the same setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12