Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What a difference a prop makes

I finally was able to get out with my 203 after having new reeds, injectors serviced, intake cleaned out etc. We have been experiencing major flooding locally so I had to wait until I could get it somewhere where I could run. I've run a 25p Trophy + on it forever but thought I would try and fix my post Talon holeshot with a 25p Bravo XS. I will admit the holeshot was much improved, but the Bravo XS carries the boat completely different than the Trophy. The Bravo lifts the stern so much it gives the boat a whole different running attitude. To be honest, I will need more seat time to get used to the "new" handling. I've had this boat for years now, and truthfully it acts like a totally different boat. I know they say the Bravo will lose some speed comparatively, and I think some of it comes from not being able to trim the nose as high. When I attempt to use the same amount of trim as before, the ass end gets squirrelly very quick. It's not chine walk, but the rear starts to wash out. Of course I may have to adjust the motor height, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that one. I'm currently 3 1/2" below the pad.

2. Member
    Raise it an inch and watch your water pressure.
    Champion 206
    250XB

3. Member
    I agree with dk, jack it up. I run a 26 Bravo XS @ 2-1/8" below the pad with a 10" JP.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    Do Bravos tend to run better higher up in general?

5. Member
    What kind of engine do you have?

6. Member
    225EFI 8in plate

7. Banned
    Yeah bravos can run really shallow. It is most def a different feel, the ass feels like it's floating on air. They just came out with a XS LT (longer barrel) and it's supposed to give more bow lift and stern. I want one, I seem to have some kind of prop addiction.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Yeah bravos can run really shallow. It is most def a different feel, the ass feels like it's floating on air. They just came out with a XS LT (longer barrel) and it's supposed to give more bow lift and stern. I want one, I seem to have some kind of prop addiction.
    Yes you do. Hahaha. I bet it runs great on our hulls. The older Bravo I ran that had a longer barrel, had crazy stern lift. It was like a completely different boat. I should have kept it.
    Champion 206
    250XB

9. Member
    So after experimenting with the prop to pad height, I'm not convinced the Bravo 1xs is the right prop for my rig. I was originally at 3 1/2" and only raised it up a 1/4" and then 1/2" for starters. I couldn't get anywhere near the bow lift I used to get from a Trophy+ before the water pressure started to quickly drop. Also I like the way the boat rides with the Trophy+ much better. While the Bravo does life the whole boat, it changes the running attitude too much for my liking. My hole shot suffered with the Trophy after adding two 12' Talons, but I'm thinking a foil might work to help cure that.
    Last edited by jerzia; 07-22-2017 at 06:34 AM.

10. Banned
    Yep, it's a weird experience. It should sell fast in the props for sale board.

11. Member
    Yeah it's still like new. I've been looking at some foils and this one gets good marks.

Last edited by jerzia; 07-22-2017 at 07:11 AM.

12. Member
    Whats your top speed with new prop?

13. Member
    I haven't had it WOT yet. Every, and I mean every time I've been out the water has been much too choppy or too much traffic to try. The local launch that is 10 minutes from me on Lake Ontario is closed so far this year due to flooding and high water. I finally got to try yesterday with the right conditions, and has a stuck throttle issue. (can't win)

14. Pat Goff
    The truth is, high and flat is your fastest attitude. If you can have the water breaking at or behind the rear seat pedestal, and not much bow lift, everything is working pretty well. All your energy is going forward, not up. It's easier to setup to find bow lift, because you can easily see the results, but if you can get enough total boat lift and the prop shaft is still level with the water, you're going to fly.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

15. Member
    Pat it's kind of a double edge sword. I'm having a hard time getting that big wheel to spool up for hole shot, yet I'm told the Bravo like to run high. I only came up a small bit, and the water pressure falls off quickly when trying to get the nose up. I understand the boat rides differently now with that prop especially the ass end, but to me it feels like there is still too much boat in the water. The whole boat is riding higher as you mentioned, but it doesn't seem like I'm really back on the pad. Of course I'm so used to how it ran with the Trophy+, I could be totally misreading the situation and more seat time is needed. With that said, your explanation makes total sense. I was amazed the first time I saw a truly fast boat in person. It was an Allison, and I couldn't believe how level it was running. It looked totally different than any bassboat I had ever seen before.

16. Banned
    This might be one of those times where you pick control and ride over speed. When I run my trophy I really enjoy the way my boat rides, turns and handles; but it's 5mph slower than my other props. I put the temptest on it handles good, decent holeshot and it's a bit faster than my trophy by 4mph. Then my Bravo, I almost hate the way the boat handles when running this prop, but it's my fastest prop. Funny thing is my buddy swears my bravo runs better than my other props in rough water, while I think it is rougher. I'm trying to buy a Croxton 4 blade now to try and see how it handles.

If you hate the bravo then sell it, I'm not sure you really gave it a fair comparison test though. What's your pvs plug configuration? Should be at least 2 holes fully opened.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    The truth is, high and flat is your fastest attitude. If you can have the water breaking at or behind the rear seat pedestal, and not much bow lift, everything is working pretty well. All your energy is going forward, not up. It's easier to setup to find bow lift, because you can easily see the results, but if you can get enough total boat lift and the prop shaft is still level with the water, you're going to fly.
    Yep! this man does know what he is talking about. I have some experience setting up a boat to run it's best,but nothing to what Pat has! By the way the first pic of Chris Baileys foil is my boat!

18. Member
    All 8 holes open at the moment. A plug or two would help it fall over, but the initial spool up takes a while. Motor by the way is healthy. Good compression, new carbon reeds, injectors just serviced by Don Weed.

19. Member
    How many rpm do you hit on holehot?

20. Banned
    Dang with all 8 open I'm shocked you don't completely blowout!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast