bilge water syphon

I can't stand that last 1/2 gallon of standing bilge water, after I pull the transom plug (note, put boat on the trailer 1st). Take 1 sheet of paper towel, roll it up like a long cigar. Stick 1/2 of it in the transom drain, let the other 1/2 hang out. The bilge water will syphon out, leaving the bilge 100% dry. I leave it in until the next time I go out. In case the cover leaks, it helps keep things dry...

Why is there that much water in your bilge to begin with? Sounds like a leak somewhere to me.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    If you leave the plug out while driving home, doesn't the water shake out on the trip?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    If you leave the plug out while driving home, doesn't the water shake out on the trip?
    you would think so but If water gets in there is usually 1/2'-1" of water that pools up under the plug.

5. Member
    In my case, water is either from rain while on the water, washdown after a particular messy day, or a not so watertight cover, as the boat is stored outside. I always trailer, and always pull the plug when I pull the boat out of the water. But even after the ride home, there's always that ½-1" of water that Jason mentions...

Roll up a ShamWow towel and slide it up in the drain hole. Never seen anything soak up water like those things. Just leave it hanging off the floor a couple of inches so the water can drip off once it's saturated. Works great.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I've been using strips of old towels for that purpose for years.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Jack up the front of the trailer. Gravity is always "On".

Many just use a cotton rope cut to 3-4 ft length... shove 1/2 in the hole, Let the other 1/2 hang out. The water wicks into the rope and dries while keeps wicking.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Just go to walmart in the kids swim toy area and get one of the long water squirters...stick the tip in the area with water and draw back on the plunger...problem solved!

I just us my wet vac
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS