Running XR6 without airbox

Is it okay to remove and run a stock xr6 150 without the airbox installed? Is there any increase in performance by doing this?

2. Member
    From experience, it will hurt. You ALWAYS need something to smooth the air flow as it enters the carbs. You don't generally see drag racers with bare carbs sitting on top of their motors. They add some sort of horn to smooth the airflow and prevent excessive turbulence.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Actually about 99% of the carb drag outboards I see just have bare carbs on the motor.

But no, on a stock motor you won't see any benifits and run the risk of Pulling junk into your motor.

Venting the cowl helps some but it's normally not a real noticeable amount. I wouldn't mess with it n

you can add cowl vents and pull the plenum cover off if you really want to but it won't do much.

It'll make it louder in the boat, that's about it.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Member
    it will also allow fuel/oil mix that is normally recycled back thru the carbs to collect in the cowl and run down the mid!ask me how i know,lol!

6. Member
    It says on my airbox to not run over 3000 rpms without airbox. I think it can result in more air into motor but since the jets aren't tuned for that the motor can run lean at higher rpms.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    It says on my airbox to not run over 3000 rpms without airbox. I think it can result in more air into motor but since the jets aren't tuned for that the motor can run lean at higher rpms.
    Correct.

Should not exceed 3000 RPM's with the airbox removed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor