Thread: 5 cylinders?

5 cylinders?

ser#0t555349 200l carb. Number 6 detonated again. I am going to order a new powerhead. Until then and since the block is cracked around the cylinder my question is can the #6 piston, rod, and all be removed and the motor run on 5 cylinders?

Well it start, run and move your boat forward? Maybe for a little bit. Will it vibrate like a strung out junkie? Oh yeah. You can't remove 1/6 of the reciprocating mass and expect it to function well. Also, with a cracked block you're probably not going to get good water flow and just do more damage. Maybe that doesn't matter since your replacing it but it could result in a long swim home. And then where that gas and oil being dumped into the dead cylinder going. It your motor so do what you want but I would not recommend this.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I would salvage that cranshaft,while I still could. and not even start it up.

4. Member
    What's a crankshaft worth?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    I would salvage that cranshaft,while I still could. and not even start it up.
    +1

Talk w/Jay Smith or Chris Carson- they're always looking for cranks.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor