1961 evinrude 3hp running issue

As stated in title. Model is 3038. Engine pulled out of moth ball had to replace the two capacitors and plugs. Points looked good, just reset them to .020. Opted for the Champion J6C over the J4C as the J6C are what was in it. Gapped at .030. Cleaned engine through out which included the gas tank and that conical brass filter in the tank. Detailed attention went into the carburetor, was taken apart and cleaned. Starts and runs fine. The only issue is after running for about 5 minutes it will abruptly stall. Have to rechoke to start. Sound like a float bowel issue or something else I'm missing.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem or the vent in the cap is not loosened or is plugged up. Fill the tank and disconnect the carb fuel line and allow it to drain into a gallon container. Make sure it is a steady flow.

If that checks OK, then take the carb apart, reclean every passageway, and install a factory carb kit with the proper float adjustments. The water flow out the exhaust holes is a contstant spray, correct?

There are no cracks in the coils are there? If so, replace them right away.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Vent closed is a fun old ruse to play on someone. It's open. Fuel line runs steady when disconnected from the carb. Coils are fine. Spray comes out tepid and steady. I figured it probably needs the float bowel rebuilt. As earlier detailed attention to the carb, I cleaned and sprayed it out completely.

just a thought, old cork style carb float?? could be saturated with gas and heavy?? I had that issues long ago on a old 40HP.. remember the cork life preserver style carb floats , with the Dark Brown color due to factory cork sealer used back then?? well it sat awhile , ordered a new float , then weighed both , forgot how many grams difference , been so long , but a friend had jewelry/ gold scales . then placed both in a small bowl of water , the new floated the old sank

dang says This part is unavailable or obsolete but found the old style floats

Last edited by Bass AHolic; 06-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.

It is indeed the old cork float float. 56 years old, would've thought it would be good for another 50.

well maybe the new gas eats away the varnish coating, faster than old style gas? but liked the rope/electric start combo .. to bad new motors still not that way

Took the float bowl apart again. Did some tinkering with it. The old float is working. Worked back from there and determined the culprit was the old in tank conical filter. Had cleaned it and soaked it prior to the original once over and ran fuel great. Now it runs for awhile then tapers down to barely a trickle. If I applied positive pressure to the tank. It would run fine for awhile, then begin to trickle again. The part has been listed for around $40 ( https://www.marineengine.com/newpart...num=OMC0277819) without doing an extensive search. I cut the cone off and installed an inline clear filter with new 1/4" fuel tubing. Problem solved.