Ranger 521 Gets Squirrely When Running

Hey all,
    I have an interesting problem. I have a 2005 521 Ranger with a 225 Pro XS. When I am running down the lake around 40-50 mph, everything will be fine and then for no apparent reason, the motor will shake/jog without having turned the steering wheel. When this happens, it is completely random and kind of scares the poop out of you. I haven't tried to run it at higher speeds because I'm a little scared that something might be very wrong and I wouldn't want to get thrown out of the boat at 70. Has anyone experienced a similar kind of problem? Any ideas on what this might be? Thanks.

2. Banned
    Make sure everything is tight in the steering and mounting hardware, than check to see if you have any play in the hydraulic system. Bleed the system in case you have air in the lines. If you are not comfortable doing this take it to a shop, I would not consider your boat safe running the way it is.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Good advise. I would also look very carefully at the gearcase for any signs of damage on or near the leading edge, or anything mounted to the back of the boat that might be aerating water in the path of the gearcase.

You could be building a bubble of one side of the gearcase, which causes a rather violent reaction when it sheds and passes through the propeller blades.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    A prop that needs work will do what you are describing also. Borrow a prop from someone after you have checked everything mentioned above.

5. Member
    Great. Thanks everyone.

i would check the steering system before running a different prop...just a thought.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member
    Sounds like a steering leak, also make sure all jam nuts on the shaft the motor pivots up and down on are tight
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Banned
    running the motor too deep can also cause what you describe.